Bringing my dogs from Turkey to Uruguay

Hi Everyone,

I will be traveling from Turkey to Uruguay later this year with 2 Mexican Chihuahuas.

Searching around the internet and even with the Uruguayan Consulate in Washington D.C.
I keep finding conflicting scenarios about the requirements for bringing pets into the country.

I found on one website that pets require a USDA APHIS 7001 international health certificate.
I am coming from Turkey, not the USA. Why do I need US documents? My veterinarian in
Turkey is not on the list of approved USDA vets, which is only for US vets, so he's not certified
to complete the APHIS 7001 form. My dogs are in Turkey, a USDA certified US vet can't examine
them to complete the APHIS forms either.

Can't I use the official animal import documents from the Turkish Ministry of Agriculture with my
vet here completing them? Must I use the USDA APHIS International Animal Import form 7001?
İf so, how???

Thanks for any help/insight you can give.

Regards,

D, Conti
Ankara, Turkey

I brought my dog from Canada and I needed Canadian documents not US ones. They needed to be in Spanish. Canada has a form in English,French and Spanish so I used that.

Most of the information you will see is from a US perspective.

As long as you get the correct vaccinations and wormings within the correct timeframe and get the paperwork signed correctly by the Agriculture Dept from Turkey as well as your own vet. ( just your vet is not sufficient) , you should be fine I would think.

You also need to check any country you stop in as you may need to pass their requirements too. I booked separate flights from Toronto to Santiago Chile and then Santiago to Montevideo.  This meant I could collect my dog in Chile and take her outside for a walk. Chile however is very strict about bringing in food and confiscated all her dog food. I fed her quickly while I waited in line to go through Customs as she had not eaten for many hours.  I carried an empty water bottle on me and filled it in the airport washroom as I did not have any Chilean money for the machines there to give her a drink.
If you book your dog right through, they will not let you get her between flights. Also check temperatures at each airport as they will refuse to board an animal if it is too hot.

You may have a different trip if you are allowed to have them in the cabin being so small. I have a Cairn Terrier and would not want her in the cabin even if I could. She would have scratched and barked to be let out for the whole trip!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. My dogs are never separated from me and I fear they'll really suffer while in cargo. The younger one chews her feet and tail raw from stress. This will be a non stop flight and I hope at least the cargo hold will have heat and light for them. Do you know if they can travel together in one larger crate? One dog is 2 kilos and the other is less than half a kilo. They are Chihuahuas.

I believe they can but you should check with your airline - they are the ones who decide. My dog absolutely hates a crate but she did better than I expected as the three flights took almost 24 hours. Within a couple of days she was her usual self. I called the airline a day or so before the flight to confirm she was booked.

In cargo they can transport live bees, flowers, hatching eggs etc so they are used to handling delicate cargo.  I made sure the cabin crew knew I had a dog and I asked them to let me know she was boarded before take off. They did this each flight.

In MVD they put my dog out with all the luggage as it came off the plane ( not on the conveyer belt but beside it ) and it was quite quick to go through customs with her at this end. Good luck I am sure they will be fine, it is you who will be a nervous wreck!

Hi ,

We are TR and we bring our 2 pets via 9Eylül Company which is the only dealer who can bring your dogs to Uruguay.

You can contact them..Here under the details..
Hope helping you...Warm Regards....Aytac Attagenc

Andrey Artamonov
9 Ekim Group
+90 532 546 73 96

+90 212 444 12 37 (ext. 2415)
[email protected]
www.9ekim.com

My dogs will fly on the same plane as me, but in cargo.

Did you have to get a rabies antibody blood test for your dogs?

This is terribly expensive and the first time I have ever had to
do this.

Thanks again!

We just had to show our dog had been vaccinated more than 30 days but less than a year for rabies.  We just got a new shot within those dates.

Please contact the 9Eylül they will answer all your questions...What we did was full of paperwork (9Eylül didi it)  and (they had separate flight then us - according 9Eylül flight contract with Lufthansa)..
Just call and have a meeting with them (you dont have to pay them for info)....
Warm Regards.
Aytac