Getting a group together in Jordan

I was wondering if there's a group that meets to discuses the culture and try to understand. I have been living here for almost three years and don't the language so I'm mostly by myself.  I'm frustrated.

a lot of  people in Irbid can speak English,so you can have a good social life in there even before learning Arabic.

I have been in Huwwara for three years and even though they can speak English the conversation part is bad. I tried to make talk and they have no clue what I'm talking about.  Maybe it's me.

You're right.
Even in Amman they can't speak English probably despite many years of English lessons at school. It depends where you live. You need to learn the language to break through your social isolation. You can not expect that they have to adept to you instead of you to them. If you live here then at least what you must do is to learn arabic.

To come back on your question: by my knowledge there is no such group.  The most expats are only interested in hanging out or clubbing after work

Hi, yes there are groups for women only that meet.  Oh sorry, I just read above that you are living in Irbid.  I know of no one in that area.  I'm sorry!

I have been in Amman for 1 month & find that people are so unfriendly. I have had such bad experiences with the women, especially older women, Omw. I ended up in tears at a wedding.

I'm working on my Arabic, which is pretty limited & everyone speaks so fast, I don't even have a chance to try. Lol.

I'm really too afraid to leave the apartment as hardly anyone speaks English. Or at least that's what it seems like. Even when I tell them in Arabic that I can't speak Arabic, they go off in Arabic.

I'm currently staying in Shmeisani, Amman.

My family lives in Shmeisani and I honestly disagree with your remaking about people being unfriendly.  My Arabic is basic and my wife speaks non; however, no one has been rude to her once and I was worried about it when we moved here as she is Asian and in other Arabic countries there is some prejudice against Asian woman.  But, haven't experienced any of that in Amman.  Even walking to the 7/11, vegetable/fruit stall or going to the mall.

Lucky. Everyone has different experiences. I don't think Shmeisani is a bad area, I'm sure there are lovely, friendly people who live here & in Amman in general. I just mentioned my experience since being here. It was unfortunate & I hope to have better experiences from now on.

I hear ya.  Hopefully it gets better.  We are waking distance to the 7/11 if you are close by.

I've been in Irbid for four years. But, moving to Amman very soon. There are quite a few native English speakers in the Irbid area. A lot of the ladies try to get together monthly at each others homes.

Hi,
Once you move to Amman why not join one of the coffee morning groups?  Stay in touch and I'll let you know when and where.

Just curious why you want to discuss the culture?  Why not make friends from your nationality and do fun things together such as shopping, eating out and meeting other friends for coffee.  Just enjoy life!

Primadonna wrote:

You're right.
Even in Amman they can't speak English probably despite many years of English lessons at school. It depends where you live. You need to learn the language to break through your social isolation. You can not expect that they have to adept to you instead of you to them. If you live here then at least what you must do is to learn arabic.

To come back on your question: by my knowledge there is no such group.  The most expats are only interested in hanging out or clubbing after work

I do not agree...... In Amman everyone speaks English unless you are in the Eastern part of town which is no place for any expat to be.  In west Amman you will hardly find anyone who can't speak English.

Disagree with you.
I live in a part of Amman,  and its not in the east, where they hardly speak English.
I agree with you that in areas where most of the expats lives they speak more English.
But not always willing to.

Sometimes I try to speak with children in my neighborhood of with family English to see how far they are and they all say that they can. The two most famous centences are " wats you're name" and " hello, how are you"
All my kids speaks three languages and when I hear their stories about their classmates how bad they are in English, it makes me sad.

I'm actually pretty shocked since English is taught very well in the schools.  The schools that don't teach English well none of us would send our kids to those anyway. 
My son went to several schools and ended up in ACS, it was close to home and just more comfortable for him.  But I have know many who have gone to "acceptable" schools and came out speaking excellent English.

I was chocked for the same reason. Depends on the capacity of the child and the influence of the parents. And if you have not enough money to send them to a private school but to a government school. ..
Well, everyone knows that the change is bigger to get less good quality. But even a private school is not a guarantee.
I couldn't believe all these lessons at school,  starting from the primary school and not speak English properly.

Hi jasmine. I live in shmeisani too. I am trying to improve my arabic and looking for some physical activity opportunities. We can hang out and go for a stroll if you wish. Send me a message if interested.

Hi vwbug. Can you please tell me more about the women's group? Where do they usually meet. Thanks.

Ghezal wrote:

Hi vwbug. Can you please tell me more about the women's group? Where do they usually meet. Thanks.

Hi, just wondering if you are from Jordan or if you are truly an expat? If you PM me I will give you details.

You all most welcome to Join us for Women Only ! Meeting for the first time :)
Since i will be very busy this week let's make it next week :))

Ok with me, I'm so jet lagged.