I've been invited to Guatemala City as a partner in a restaurant

I'm a chef by trade and a good Guatemalan friend of mine has invited me to Guatemala City to help open a bar/restaurant in zone 1, located in the site of a previously successful bar/restaurant. I'm am seriously considering this as it seems like the opportunity of a lifetime. I've never been to Guatemala or Central America for that matter, but have always wanted to, my Spanish is beginner to intermediate but I pick it up quickly when hearing it a lot. Any advice or info that you could share with me would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

-Jared

HOP ON A PLANE.DONT THINK TWICE!.

You really think so? I've been stressing about all the what ifs involved with it.  Any advice?

NOTHING IS INVOLVED.HOP ON A PLANE ROUND TRIP IS ABOUT $600.00 . YOU GOT 90 DAYS THERE TO SEE IF YOU LIKE THE PLACE.GUATEMALA IS NOT FOR EVERYONE .

HI Jared,

Zona 1 is a booming area since a couple of years now.. before it was very dangerous but now there are plenty of cool bars opening and it is a great hang out place in the evening.. plus they have renovated the main avenue 6th and made it pedestrian changing all the ambiance of Zona 1.. For a long time it has been abandoned by the middle class moving outside the city in the suburbs but now you hace an increase in new development for the young working class which is going to bring more people back and for sure a great potential of growth...

Christopher is absolutely right, Jared. You didn't say how old you are, but unless you're middle-aged, what have you got to lose? Even then...

Whenever I go to Guate I stay in Zona 1. It is the future. The city government is doing all the right things such that redevelopment progresses well -- including safe mass transit.

What is happening now is the real city is being re-invented (like in many US cities) and the appeal of the suburbs is going to drop (because they are just places to spend money but have no history/culture. Yeah, go for it and let us know when you are open. I am always looking for new places to try in Zona 1 when I am in the city.