New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here

Hi All!!!

I move to Mexico City next week to take up a post as an art teacher at a British international school! I'm originally from the north east of England and have never been to Mexico, so I am a perfect balance of excited, anxious and nervous!! I'll know very few people in the city!

If anyone has any advice, tips, information or just fancies a chat, get in touch! :)

Hi, all!

I´ve had an Expat.com account for a couple of years, I think, but just stumbled onto this forum--how have I missed it?  ;)

I´ve spent roughly 10 years in Mexico, the last 6 in Saltillo, Coahuila.  But my husband is from Mexico City, so we see a good stretch of the country regularly! 

Nice to meet you all!

Hi Laura,

Welcome to el DF. May I suggest that you attend the Tandemcitos Meetup in la Condesa on Monday nights. Quite a few internationals attend regularly. It's a great place to meet fellow travelers.

Take care,
David

I've lived in Mexico for about 20 years, the first 7 as an active SCUBA diver on the east coast, then another 7 as an occasional diver.  In 2007 we moved to Veracruz for a better climate.  I have been here since then and plan to stay.  I am a widow, an active 80 year old with a wide variety of interests.  I originally joined this site to see if I could find any Ethiopians here in Mexico--I have friends in Addis Ababa who asked if there were any of their compatriots here, when I visited in April to attend a wedding.

I would be happy to answer any questions about living either on the east coast of Mexico or the mountains of Veracruz.  I have traveled to various other places in Mexico, and intend to continue to do so for as long as I can.

Babs

Good for you Babs, I'm sure you will be a very helpful resource. I for one will be looking forward to hearing more about your inspiring life. Welcome to the blog.

Hola a todos

So I'm planning to retire in a couple of years and have been looking at Baja California, maybe around the East Cape area or Todos Santos. I have been practicing law for a long time and my hobbies are oil painting and fishing and diving. I think I probably would like to continue to work in some capacity but don't know if that is doable in Mexico. I'd like to find a place with ocean view and not too far from the beach. I'd like to know if American expats can use the healthcare system down there, and if so, how expensive is it. I've been to Mexico many times and enjoy the rather layed back approach to life. Is crime an issue? I welcome your thoughts.

Dr D

Thanks for the welcome, travelight. I don't know how much help I can be, but I'm always willing to try. There is a small community of expats here in Coatepec and I think I know most of them because i run an English book exchange and anyone who reads finds it sooner or later. Even though most people think of beaches when they think of Mexico, here in the mountains of Veracruz we have a great climate and wonderful scenery. The cloud forest and our many waterfalls are amazing and inspiring.  Xalapa, the capital of Veracruz, is nearby, with a couple of  universities, an orchestra, and a great museum. The region is known for coffee and orchids. It's a nice place to visit, and even better to live--if you can do without the beach!

We live just down the road more or less from you, in Campeche. We liked Veracruz when we stopped there for a couple of days, but wondered about the weather there. It seems storms tend to go that way and it's pretty windy. Is that just seasonal, or a constant ?.

I have driven to the coast to visit friends a couple times since moving to Coatepec.  Next time I go by Campeche, I'll wave.  If the ferry from Progresso starts up again, I'll be visiting the area again for sure.

Since I've been here each year seems different.  Lots of early rain this year, but it has settled in now to a polite sprinkle in the evening or  night.  Windy in April, when all the kids come out with their kites. Generally, I like the weather here, as opposed to the coasts. The winter gets quite cold, though--down maybe to 60F. or a little cooler, but it doesn't last too long. We had an earthquake a month or so ago, centered in Oaxaca, but no damage.

Another attraction (for me) is the lack of an overwhelming English-speaking presence. You know you're in Mexico, and you can enjoy the local fiestas here and in the surrounding towns.  Ours is the festival of San Jeronimo, celebrated the last week in September.  My daughter is coming to visit to enjoy it with me.

I am also a Couchsurfer, as are several of my friends here. We enjoy visitors from around the world.

Babs G. wrote:

I have driven to the coast to visit friends a couple times since moving to Coatepec.  Next time I go by Campeche, I'll wave.  If the ferry from Progresso starts up again, I'll be visiting the area again for sure.

Another attraction (for me) is the lack of an overwhelming English-speaking presence. You know you're in Mexico, and you can enjoy the local fiestas here and in the surrounding towns.  Ours is the festival of San Jeronimo, celebrated the last week in September.  My daughter is coming to visit to enjoy it with me.

I am also a Couchsurfer, as are several of my friends here. We enjoy visitors from around the world.

Something else in common it seems. We also lack the overwhelming English- speaking presence and like it. We visited Tulum and it seemed the "English speaking presence" was out in force there. I found it disturbing, and a little sad. Every thing was different from other places we have been.

So the weather is pretty stable there, and certainly much cooler than here. It sounds like you are quite happy with living there.

When you next drive by you should stop and visit Campeche for a day, we would be pleased to meet you. Just message me if you are coming this way.

Hello - we're a family of four, recently relocated from Chicago to Tampico for a three-year work project for my husband.  We have two daughters (ages 6 and 9).  Still unpacking and adjusting - we've been here for about a month so far and it's been a whirlwind...

My novia and I currently live in Bucerias , Nayarit.  Teresa has operated an art gallery and Mexican arts and crafts store there for 17 years.  She retired in April and the store is closed.  This year we will be tourist in Mexico.  We will be in SMA for a month in November and December.  We have visited SMA several times and Teresa has purchased many arts and craft items from SMA.  After our month in SMA we will go to San Luis Potosi for Christmas and New Year.  Teresa is from SLP and has a large family there.  We look forward to learning more about SMA

See you soon

Diego y Teresa

Hello  All,

I am George, nick name Chino.  I currently live near Chicago but actively looking for my retirement home (just a few more years). I work in the software/telecom industry. living near Chicago, I've become sensitive to costly living and crime.  I joined Expat-blog to get some help for retirement locations. I have been looking into retiring to Mexico, Ecuador or Thailand. It appears that most folks on here live in Mexico but it doesn't matter where you live, feel free to chime in.  I'm looking for a place that is inexpensive to live/retire, of course, my 2k-3k per month pension must be able to support me. I've always loved the beach (swim-able) but not 100% against something inland.  I'd like to buy something one day but renting my be a in the cards for the first 5 years.  I can ah-blah Espanol, or maybe 70%.
just the thought of packing a lunch, going to the beach for a couple of hours. read a book, swim, is music to my senses.

I've seen Chapala, Guadalajara, Puerta Vallarta, Guanajuato.

so here are my wants but I know I can't have everything 1)safe 2) inexpensive to live 3) health care so so 4) close to the beach???, 5) decent good weather 75-90, I'm not crazy about heat and humidity, but when in Mexico/Thailand you gotta give in 6) not far from public transportation, 7) walkable areas

thoughts on citys I've been too:
Lake chapala - pretty, quiet, housing is pricey. (did I say I was sensitive to high housing prices?), saw a video that said crime is high, not sure if it is true. Lake is not healthy but is beautiful on a nice sunny day.

Guadalajara-nice, but too far inland, some places are a bit dirty/dusty but that is mexico.

Puerta Vallarta- vibrant, lots of tourists, not sure of the housing prices, but looks pricey, places to see.  good beaches appear to be only private (near hotels). Buses running everywhere, there are walmarts and MEGa near.

Guanajuato City-Mountainous, nice people, nice cool weather, no swimable water nearby, cool, good place to visit.

In Sept of 2014, I plan to visit San Miguel DA, Sayulita, Chacala. so excited!
next year Thailand.  My friend is going to Merida in Nov 2014, so we can share notes.

so what cities would you recommend?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chino
Chicago

Welcome Chino
If cost is an issue in Chapala then it will really be an issue in San Miguel. Southern Mexico is definitely safer than Northern Mexico. You might like the Veracruz area, there are several towns around there that are quite reasonable. With beaches there will be more heat and humidity.

Merida is nice and very developed, but often very hot and humid. People either really like it or not. Tulum is very touristy, hot, and humid and a bit pricey. You might also want to look around Cancun. The city it's self is very expensive, but I understand some of the cities in the area are more quiet and reasonable.

I'm aware some of the expats that live in Mexico had already tried Ecuador and didn't feel safe there, so do lots of research before going to visit there.

Good luck on your adventure. I'm sure others will come up with more ideas.

Gracias TravelLight,

I appreciate the input.  I will look at Veracruz in a future trip.  I was under the impression that Ecuador is very safe just pickpocket type of stuff.  When I went to Lake Chapala, I peek at the houses that are tape up to the front window and thought wow, that is expensive ( I think they were high end homes) so I really don't know if there are mid-level priced houses there, I'm sure they are aound.  I think it is best to find somebody that is selling (sell by owner) and bypass the Real estate agent (sorry to those agents out there!).   if places are hot and humid, I guess I can turn on the AC (is electricty expensive in Mexico, I wonder?).

thanks again, que le vaya bien!

Yes electricity is very expensive. It's hot here and we alternate the AC to keep the bill down, yet It is still 150 more than it was in the U.S. Of course it gets between 90 and 101 here and it was rarely higher than the mid 80's in the U.S. You can always use more or less of course. We prefer temps in the low 80's. We confine air conditioning to the rooms we are actually using, and keep the ceiling fans on most of the time. Because we are on the bay we also get a breeze  which helps.With just the ceiling fans on the bill is significantly less, so it's the A.C. that drives it up.
The locals may or may not have A.C., likely depending on money. They tend to open their houses up when it's hot, even with A.C.

I didn't think electric would be more expensive than the US.   I'm sure you'd need to be creative to save on electricity.  I've read the climate is similar on both coasts, pacific vs. Golf, hot and humid.  I'll continue to visit around and test the waters.  I'd hate to be confined to my house because of the Heat when I live there.  Only to leave in the cover of darkness.

You adjust, wear a hat, walk to the mall which is air conditioned. Try to stay in the shade. We don't spend all our time indoors.
Ensenada  Rosarito beach is cooler I hear , often in the 70's. Babs who is a member, says it's cooler in Coatepec up by Veracruz. The mountain areas are cooler.
It's not in the 90's and above all the time, but the Yucatan areas will be hot and humid. The frequent breezes do help quite a bit.

Sounds to me, Chino, that you'd be much happier in Veracruz.  I live in the mountains at 4000 feet, and the climate is, well, with exceptions, perfect.  Range in a year between 60 and 80F. (mas o menos).  Coatepec is a small town but near Xalapa, the capital of Veracruz.  Electricity is NOT expensive here.  The threat that the price will go up is always there, but I live in an area of depressed economy and if they raised the rates nobody would be able to pay!

If you don't like Coatepec, Xico and Teocelo are nearby smaller towns.  If you insist on water, you can go 50 miles down the mountain to Chachalacas on the coast, or south of Veracruz Port.  I like the view of the snow-capped Pico de Orizaba from here, and I've had enough of beaches.  We have lots of waterfalls, though, and rivers.

Good luck!

Hi Babs,
I'll research it in the up coming days.  I really don't read too much on Veracruz as a retirement area so I really need to educate myself.  Is there a large N.American community?  What types of things do you do?  Or can do?  Do you still enjoy living there? 

Chino

There's lots to do, besides hiking in the cloud forest and visiting waterfalls.  This is a coffee producing area, famous also for orchids.  Coatepec has an organic market every Saturday, and an artisan market at the palacio on Sundays.  I run a book exchange, pretty big, housed in a local hacienda where there is a school and exhibition space.  Not an overwhelming number of expats, but for me, that's a plus.  I have lived here since 2007, before that on the beach in Quintana Roo, and while I still visit the beach, the weather isn't pleasing, so I'll stay here.  Xalapa (15 minutes away) has an excellent museum and a symphony orchestra that gives concerts every Friday.  Of course, Xalapa has everything--Costco, etc.  Depends on what you like to do,

hmmm, I like what I'm hearing!  Weather is good, I love coffee, I like organic (a little spritz of pesticide, I can deal with too). I like waterfalls, hiking, books, the Symphony, and Costco! Love their slice of pizza.  no beach but you said it is close by. I spreken Spanish too.    sound like a match.   I need to read more about the area.  I'll have more questions after I do some research! And I know nothing about Xalapa (probably cause it was never on my radar.

Wow, sounds like Paradise, is it?
All the best Babs!

If there is a drawback to living in this area it probably is that it's hard to get to by air.  The Veracruz airport is 80 miles away and difficult to drive to and from; the alternative is landing in Mexico City, followed by a 4 hour long bus ride to Xalapa, and a taxi ride to your local town.  I never used to think about that--my husband and I always drove back and forth to the states--it only takes a day and a half.  But for visitors to fly in, especially first timers, it may be a bit daunting.

Otherwise, yes, to me it approaches paradise.

I have lived in Alaska since 1974. Though I still love much about the state, the length and severity of the winters are taking a toll. I don't wish to retire so much as to become a snowbird migrating from place to place for a more hospitable climate throughout the year. I am a product of the west coast having spent most of my childhood and early adult years in Oregon's Willamette Valley. And I have only been outside the US for brief excursions into Mexico. The most recent was a honeymoon motorcycle trip from San Diego to Cabo and back in 2003. I fell in love with Baja and Mexico. The color, culture, and resilience of Latin America have become magnetic increasing in power to pull me southward. My passion is enduro motorcycling and there is so much to explore south of the border. Though I have yet to travel there the planning, preparation, and learning phase is under way. This web site and those who post on it will be of great benefit. I am truly grateful and here to learn as much as I can. Thank you so much.

Welcome Webb,
Smaller bikes are a major mode of transportation in Mexico, so you should have no problem fitting in ride wise. They even have parking areas for bikes specifically Beware of the pace, speed bumps, and pot holes and you should be fine. Note they don't always mark the speed bumps ( topes ). You're right about the magnetic quality of the environment and people

[moderated: pls post in the jobs section]

Hi, y'all!  my husband and I have been to Mexico several times over the years, and are now considering moving, possibly to Cozumel.  We are planning to come in the next three months to check into rentals/purchasing, but really have no idea what we need to do, as we are just starting out on this odyssey. If anyone can offer advice, or even meet us once we are in town, we would be thrilled to pick your brain. 
Thanks for place to connect and learn about other expat experiences!

Hi berdju2 ,
Could you be more specific ? That's a big topic .Need to do about travel? finding housing ? what to bring or not ? or? What do you want to know ?

Hi, I am a new member and need help. I have purchased a lot in Sabancuy Campeche Mexico. The seller was in charge of paying for, working with Semernat, and handling getting the building permits for the buyers. I paid the seller an additional amount to obtain my permits. He is refusing to give me any information on the process it is in, what the holdup is (it has been over two years so far) and I want to do some checking myself. I have no idea of how or who to contact regarding the permitting. Does anyone know how I can check on the progress of the building permits? I bought from a man named Mike, my lot is in Boquerón 2 if this helps. I was unable to see my lot before purchase but do know the area but it has been a few years ago that I was there. Any information on the area would also be appreciated or contact with anyone who also owns and is waiting on permits to build. But my main objective now is to check on this myself if I can, just need to know how! Thanks

Yeah, travellight!  Those are all good questions.  Unfortunately, I don't know enough to know what I don't know.  :)  just looking for any insight others may have about how to get this move accomplished.   
Thanks for responding. . .

So I will answer those two questions in a general way.
Most of us have come to the conclusion that shipping all of your things is a waste of money, yet some still do it. The things that are exceptions are electronics, your favorite personal care products, definitely make up, and if you have a great mattress bring it, or expect to pay a hefty price here $ 20,000 pesos and above or .. $ 1,500 USD. The mattresses here are very expensive and many beds are beyond firm because they are just a box spring with a a pad. Basically bring anything you can't imagine being without. Clothes are very reasonable, as are shoes. Dishes, pans, and kitchen hardware are very easy to get and reasonable. Amazon delivers very few things here so keep that in mind. Leave the furniture, there is plenty of furniture here.

As for safe routes I referred to the crime map developed by Stanford to look  for routes .http://stanford.edu/~dkronick/mexico_crime/ I have had only positive experiances so far.

Go to your local Municipio (County) Office and talk to Obras Publicas (Public Works).  There should be an office only for building permits.   

Not a good idea doing what you are doing and not being there ....  has to be done in person

Now that's a useful map, Travelight. I have been hesitant to drive to the border for a couple of years, but with this map I might be able to find a good way to go to avoid hassles. I have always (every year since it opened) crossed at Los Indios, but that crossing is bright red. An extra half day on the road won't kill me so I'll find a place on one of the blank spaces. I'd like to go to Dallas in October.

Regarding mattresses: several years ago we got one of those thick "memory foam" pads at Costco, making our Mexican mattress pretty dreamy.

Yeah Babs, we use it to map every trip and it's been reliable. Knowing where the hot spots are is extremely helpful.

Thanks for the memory foam topper idea.

:)
We own a house in Isla Mujeres and we would like to get new golf cart. Where should we look?

70 year old male with partner interested in relocation to Cancun, Mexico.  Currently own a time share there, but interested in relocating to Cancun and want to find the most reputable real estate agent or agency/ relocation specialist.

Hi! My name is alanna! I am 26 year old mother looking to meet people and make some friends!

Good day
i ma a good girl looking for a good man in love

anna4u wrote:

Good day
i ma a good girl looking for a good man in love

Please be advised that this forum is not a dating site. Go elsewhere. 
There are thousands of dating sites you can join.

Thanks. My name is Ruben Zamora and my wife of 39 years is Sylvia. We live in San Antonio, TX but vacation almost every year in Mexico. We are both fully bilingual and have a long-lasting love for Mexico. We are both semi-retired but very active in our community. Sylvia was an educator, teacher, counselor, and administrator in all levels including the university level. She serves as a board governor with an organization called Altrusa, International. I am a retired VP, Sales for Bristol-Myers Squibb.Was charged with leading large sales forces of representatives and managers to achieve sales goals for cardiovascular, psychiatric, and diabetes drugs. Also managed sales teams that sold infant formula (Enfamil and Prosobee) to pediatricians and hospitals. I am a healthcare consultant now and serve on various hospital boards in Texas. I would like to develop a business in Mexico (provision of nurses, running a clinic for Americans, or teaching people how to sell to American tourists). I love the healthcare business and am good at it. However, we also like to enjoy the company of professional and fun-loving people who know the life is to be lived at its fullest. We will be in Cancun 9/21-9/25. Would love to meet others!

Closed