South african products.

hi.
i have been living in jeddah for the past 4 yrs and have yet to find a shop selling S.A.spices ina paarmans,mrs balls chutney etc.boerewors substitute being sold at sarawat international,and nandos hot sauaes at panda hyper is abbout it.any suggestions... please?

we find it easier to grab stuff like that online and have someone bring it over from uk or when friends head back home to SA they get a better pick shame your not in riyadh, friend is going over to do two oceans and bringing a goody bag back with her

Louise.Welge wrote:

we find it easier to grab stuff like that online and have someone bring it over from uk or when friends head back home to SA they get a better pick shame your not in riyadh, friend is going over to do two oceans and bringing a goody bag back with her

its amazing how we cope here and still look for the bests things from home.

oh , how i you love to part of that goody bag....:P
how u louise.... long time, have a good day

Hi there. I've been buying all my Mrs Balls chutney as well as Ina Paarman spices and sauces from Star Supermarket in Sultan Mall, Jeddah. I went there on Thursday and there was NO stock whatsoever - I've sent them a message via Facebook and hope to get a response from them soon to find out when they'll get stick again. I live in Taif and it's a 2.5 hr drive to Jeddah each time for "big" shopping - maybe you can get to Star Market easier to speak to their manager or buyer re this?

Hello Golds and welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for your help. :)
To note that this thread is a year old.

Thank you,
Aurélie

You may check Star Market in al Balad ...

back online thanks to all for the kind feedback.will check out the star markets and feedback

It's amazing how we miss all these small things from back at home. I'll also suggest you try Star Supermarket, I know the 1 in Balad. I'm fairly new here in Jeddah myself.
I just can't  cook without my Mrs Balls Chutney. lol

thanks Kenny,already checked out the one in ballad but they don't  keep stock any more(slow moving as per floor superviser)I am going to check at sultan mall on Thursday and update.regards

We just started making our own boerewors.
We get the spices and casing from South Africa.
Our first batch tasted perfect.
We also make our own biltong. Brought a drier  back from us on our last visit back home.
We always bring some Mrs Balls back with us...the trick here is if you see it, buy it.....you never know when and if they will have stock again.

Hi Yolande,

How much do you sell the biltong for :D

I can't wait to go back home just to sink my teeth into a piece of biltong and droëwors.

Anyway, have a nice day.

Roan.....I will give you as much biltong as you can carry for a packet of bacon.....lol
Can not wait for bacon, rashers, roast.....pork bangers...you name it and i will eat it

That sounds so good. 4 weeks and i will be doing just that. Going home for 2 weeks.

I will be arriving to take up a new post next week if my visa comes through. Let me know if I can bring anything, cost and weight permitting. Adrian

Good news for the Sithefricans in Jeddah... a new place has opened called The Butcher Shop & Grill.  In fact, it is a chain from Sithefrica, that's what they said when I went there today.

It is a butcher shop and a restaurant.  They make their own boerewors and biltong.  Plus they also sell steaks, lamb chops, fillets, etc.  I got some of their biltong, it is SAR 145/kilo.  Just tried it now.  Not a biltong expert, but it tastes very good to me.  And I had a look at their menu too... my mouth was watering and stomach grumbling uncontrollably looking at all the pics and reading all the menu item descriptions!  Not cheap, though, as expected for a meat place.  They use Australian beef.

It is located in a new building on Rawdah street, across the street from the Rawdah Star complex (Bert's, Pizza Fusion, et al), right at the traffic light.  Next to it is a new Turkish restaurant called Köşebaşı.  Went and had a look at their menu too, and it too, looked amazing.

Hi.
I'm new to Jeddah, from Cape Town, South Africa.
I was so happy to read your post!  Does this  place, butcher shop still exist?  I would luuuvvv to go there and get some real biltong n boerewors!
thanx.
Akila

Yup, still there! :)

Great!!!!
Gonna check it out soon!   :top:
Thanx.

We will be making REAL South African boerewors this weekend to sell.
All spices and casing is from South Africa.
Will make sosatie, chakalaka,  and some more flavours.
Droë wors will be available next weekend.

Hi!
That sounds great! Keep us posted.
Where about in jeddah are u?
Regards, 
Akila

I've sent an email to Mrs Balls back home and they've told me that they're looking for a new distributor for Mrs Balls as they've lost their previous importer/distributor they had in Jeddah  :(

Akila....we are on the Sierra compound. Arabian Homes. It is next to the American school.
Will post the moment we are done making boerewors this weekend.

Golds...it would be great if we can get Mrs Ball's locally. My suitcase is always filled with Mrs. Ball's...Cross and Blackwell Mayo...Jimmy's sauce for braai, and Robertsons spice....oh and fizzers.
This time ai could not even bring clothing back....it was just food stuff.

Hahaha - I'm the same, altho I've found that Heinz Salad Cream is he closest to our fave mayo (tangy - not the bland mayo u get here), so that leaves space (weight) for bacon, ham, pork fillets, ribs etc .. LOL. Always brought back boerewors and biltong as well, but now that I know about YOU ... ;)
Will see u soon re wors and biltong as we stay at Sierra whenever there's a villa available for us (company villas that we all share when going down the hill to Jeddah)

Thanx Yolande!
I know what u mean...I also brought back lots of sauces and Robertson & ina paarman spices, rooibos tea (for hubby) & dairy milk mint crisp chocs!
Looking forward to hearing from u.
Akila