How Safe is Dilla? Any expats there? Your advice about Dilla plz

Hi all,

I have been offered a teaching position at the University of Dilla.

I would be grateful for any information you could share about the town as I'm not able to find anything on Dilla the internet except that it is on the Addis-Nairobi highway.

I am a single female and will be moving alone if I accept the job.

I'm concerned about :

1. whether it is safe to go out on my own after work hours-

2. are there any cafes, restaurants around?

3. Are there any expats living in and around Dilla?

4. How long does it take to reach Addis and is it well connected by buses?

5. How much would renting a furnished house/apartment cost?

6. Would I need to employ a security guard?

I have read on these forums that it is quite the norm to have a guard in most places

Any info is most welcome.

Thanks
Cheers
S

Hello nomad2014

To increase visibility on your post, please note that a new thread has been created from the latter on the Addis Ababa Forum.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you, Kenjee. I hope to get some helpful responses- need to make a decision about moving soon!
Cheers
Simi

Hello

I will go next week to Dilla, for the first time, but with 12 years in Ethiopia I can tell you some General info.

To have a guard at the house is common for most People even local People, but honestly all my guards where mostly sleeping, and more looking after the garden.

Going out is not a Problem at all, especialy in the south, in the medium towns, for sure more secure as Addis and even Addis is not realy dangerous. Of course I never carry to much Money with me.

Dilla it self has a good Name for living,, and it is any way not Long travel to Hawassa, which is by today one of the best places to be in Ethiopia. Many friendly local People, big Uni, and lot of expats.....So if you Need nice bars and Restaurants, just go to Hawassa (70km), but in Dilla you can have a nice draft for sure.

Travel to Addis can be done by public buss, but please take the big busses and not the mini buss. By the way traveling is the most dangerous Thing in Ethiopia, car exidents are daily and realy dangerous. Especialy when you drive your self, you always with one leg in Hospital and one leg in prission! Sounds no bad, but get used to it.

A house you should get in Dilla for arround 3000 to 4000 Birr with furnisher, a Service gril for another 1000 Birrr and a guard for the same. I life with None of them, because my wife and me prefer to do all our self and have privacy.

Will let you know all when I return from Dilla

Oliver

Hello
I dont mean to sound like your father but some of these questions should have been answered before you accepted the assignment. I have lived in four different countries and and have found that there are some basic rules in all of them for females, - it is not wise to walk or be alone out of the public view, always have someone with you if you can. Dress modestly try not to show too much skin. wearing a lot of jewelry and having a lot of money on you is not advisable. these things can apply to most city's around the world.

Hi....

My husband was recently selected in Dilla university and he has to join from 1 October, 2014.

I am also wondering about safety issues and is there any way to talk to Indians there.

Pls help.
Akansha

1. whether it is safe to go out on my own after work hours-

It is safe indeed.

2. are there any cafes, restaurants around?

There are gaffe and bars.

3. Are there any expats living in and around Dilla?
There are many working at Dilla university.

4. How long does it take to reach Addis and is it well connected by buses?
8 hours, there are a lot mini buses for addis starting from 4 am

5. How much would renting a furnished house/apartment cost?
you will not get furnished apartment though university have dorm type accommodation.

6. Would I need to employ a security guard?
no need
I have read on these forums that it is quite the norm to have a guard in most places
its not a norm but its cheap so mostly people have.

Any info is most welcome.

Thanks
Cheers
S

Akansha I also belongs near lucknow worked 4 years at Ethiopia,
I would recommend only to join if you want to save some money,
you will be disappointed if do compare with Lucknow.

Hi..

Thx for advice but I don't hv much choice.. My husband is moving there so I hv to...

Regards

Akansha

Thats good for beginning,
I advice not to do more than 2 contracts means 4 years.

Hi...

Pls do inform us about Dilla when u get there... I need as much info as I can.. Especially about housing.

It is right SNNP Region is too green, so is the Dilla, University will give you minimum furniture and a stove, mattress, pillow, a fridge and they will help you (general service) in finding out accommodation,

They will directly pick you from Bole international airport and drop at Dilla, try not to reach Addis on Saturday and Sunday.

Oliver,
Thank you so much for the response. Please let me know about your experience in Dilla after your visit there. I am also concerned about the power outages. Is there power backup available there that can be installed? Or would I have to shop for electrical items in Hawassa? Looking forward to your views.
Thanks again
S

nnubongasi,
Thanks for the advice. I follow most of these rules when I travel (dress sense, not carrying money, jewels, electronic items, not drawing attention, avoiding late evenings) except "always have someone with you". It can be very difficult to depend on someone to accompany you every time you go out and I will have to do most of the chores on my own. That's the part I am most concerned about and it is also the deciding factor for accepting the assignment.
Thanks

hello all,

I realy have to day that in over 12 years in Ethiopia I never had any Situation while I was Walking the streets of any town, not in the day and not at night! There is no reasons to worry while you walk, beeing a men or a female, it Counts for both, Ethiopian are in General peacefull and not agresive!

The Chance of g letting rubbed is low, very low, i would say even = 0.

The idea of taking some one with you I can not advice, even if this one is a local I can see the risk in this, because this persone will start to control you and step by step he /she will control your Money and sheat you, which is by more common in the Country. Mostly People get scrued by tricky friendly People, taking Advantage of your trust!

But Walking arround a town is very save!

Oliver

Is there any  five star hotel in Dilla ?

hahahaha that is a good one, no for sure not, even if there is a five starr it will be african five starr, in Hawassa yes, or lets say they call themself five star

:sosad:

Can vegetarians survive there???

In dilla?

Hallo Oliver,

I hope you reached Dilla safe n sound.
Please tell us more about Dilla and its housing facilities..

We have to move there by end of month so pls hurry up.

Thanks
Akansha

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your inputs on safety- is very helpful.

I have read online that malaria is quite rampant in Dilla. What has been your experience in malaria prevention and mosquito control? Are mosquito screens available for windows in town?

Are water purifiers easily available in Dilla or would I have to go to Hawassa to buy one? Are the purifiers effective or would drinking bottled water be a better option?

Regarding power outages- is it possible to get power back up systems installed (would the necessary electrical plug points be available in the houses to rent? Are the UPS (uninterrupted power systems/backup) available there and how expensive are they?

Your suggestions would be really helpful.

Trust you are enjoying your trip to Dilla.
Cheers
S

Hi all,
I am Ethiopian and want to share the following about Dilla
1. In ethipian culture, foreigners are more respected than the locals. Unless you are abusive,  you are the most respected. Never worry about safety issues in Dill and It doesn't count wether you are female or male. That is true 24 hours.

2.Public transportation to the regional capita (Hawasa) and to Addis Ababa is always available and at cheap price. There are multiple shuttles to and from there. All roads to there are paved but you should not expect fancy buses.

3 . powers interruption and internet connection will be your major problem. In Ethiopia,  there is frequent blackout and it may happen black for days even. Internet, mobile network are also very, very poor. These will be annoying to you. Besides, please be considerate to see the extreme form of poverty there though there is nothing to affect you.

4. I am afraid someone mentioned having private security guards.  If you are coming to open a big bussiness and rent your own building,  it is true that you need to hire guards. Otherwise wise, there is no rational to do that in ethiopia.  That might to the case in other neighbouring and in West,  too. To be honest, there is no Ethiopian will mentality of robbing. That is 100% specially  in areas outside addis ababa.

5. Dilla is not well developed. Someone posted there is five star hotel. I am again afaid that there is no five star hotel there. The town is not well developed. You can't get fancy restaurants and cafe there. But at a distance of 1 hr travel, you can. What I suggest to a few an expat is to get prepared to cook in your home.

6. I don't think you could get furnished house there but you can get spacious apartment for less than 50 dollar.Life is cheap there and if you want to save money, it is a right place. Whichever form of live there even for extravagants will not cost more than 200 dollar a month including house.

I am glad to respond further if you need any information

Shimels

Thanks Shimmels,

How do you deal with the power shortage? I mean in terms of having power back-up systems or generator sets running on diesel. Which is the more prevalent method and can it purchased in Dilla?

Thanks

Hi all,

From all the information i have gathered, Hawassa seems like a nice place to live and is close to Dilla. Is it possible to commute to work daily to Dilla University from Hawassa? I think it takes about an hour and a half one way. In terms of frequency of buses, is this a practical option?  Are there people who commute this route for work? How far is Dilla uni from the bus stand? Please let me know.

Thanks

True ...can we live in hawassa and work in Dilla ? Is it practical option ?

It is not practical to live in Hawassa an work in Dilla.

one of my junior lived and worked at Dilla, now he is at Ireland doing his Ph D , he is basically from Lucknow
you can contact through sykype if you want more information.

Hi Akansha,

Have you moved to Dilla and settled in? How are you finding it? Are you staying inside the uni campus or outside? Please let me know about the kind of accommodation that is available there, especially regarding water and power supply. I would really appreciate your help as the uni has contacted me again. Could I contact you be e-mail to know more details about the place? Thanks.

Hello Oliver,

How have you been? How was your trip to Dilla? Could you please share your experience of the place? With a sufficient budget, is there accommodation available with good facilities (that were discussed in earlier posts)?
Thanks

Hi Dev,

Can u share Email I'd of ur junior who stayed in Dilla ...I am going to Dilla on 14th Oct so it wud b gr8 help to know more about it.

https://www.facebook.com/sagi.haider?fref=ts

tell him my name Dr Alok Tiwari

Thx