New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourself here

lol. Got me all excited there! Missed the "Hi, Susan" and thought you were talking to me. Oh. well. Dream on.

Hi, There!
What do you mean --it got you all excited?? Where are you located??Do you know anything about the Valle de Yunquilla?

What is crusita like?  I just put an offer on an apartment

I don't know anything about it--in Cumbaya?

Very small beachfront town north, north of Manta.  Sounds pretty but touristy.

It definetly does

After watching the many videos about Vilcabamba and reading everything I could, I am starting to imagine that this small town may be more well suited for me and my Border Collie. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know the immigration requirements for dogs? Do they have to be notarized and apostilled?...LOL

I am also interested in having medical facilities close by. How far is it from Vilcabamba to the nearest facility?

I chose Vilcabamba simply because it is likely the most tranquil place I had ever visited. I also liked the fact that there is an organization, Vilcabamba Nuevo Mundo (VNM),  that is working on trying to help both the locals adjust to Vilcabamba's sudden influx of Westerners by giving them free English lessons and Westerners learn to acculturate to their new environments by offering free Spanish classes. So often, I have seen places that were great become exploited and, in the process, lose the very reasons why people wanted to live there in the first place. I think VNM is a step in the right direction to prevent this from happening.

As for medical care and activities, Loja is only a short drive away and all can be had there. The notario that handled my house lives in Vilcabamba but works in Loja. So, in essence, I guess you might say that Vilcabamba, is commuting distance to Loja. Loja has theater, concerts, etc, and all within a relatively short driving distance.

I have lived abroad before, and after living in a metro area of over 26 million people, I wanted to be in a clean, friendly, small place where people spoke to their neighbors and knew each other. Vilcabamba is very clean. The tap water is potable, and I saw little litter anywhere. My house is situated in a small community about 10 minutes from the village in an area called Santorun. The neighborhood has public access to the local river, and I hope to volunteer at the local school if they will have me.

Finally, I have to confess that once I saw my house online, I knew in my heart that I would live there. It is a small adobe that was gutted and redone with all Western amenities. I presently own a house in the US with a yard that I can barely keep up with. My new home as a beautiful small yard and garden - just the right size for me and my pups! I guess you could say that Vilcabamba was love at first sight! I also like the fact that I was able to buy it for less than $50/sq foot.

Barbara, I would suggest that you take a trip and see both Vilcabamba and Loja. I can recommend a great place to stay in Vilcabamba called Madre Tierra Hotel and Spa. The prices are great as is the food and management. If I have arrived, I would be glad to show you what I have discovered. I do not plan on moving in until early March.

Hello All!

A Warm Welcome to all our New Members  :par:

Let me remind you all that this thread is particularly for introduction of new members. We however encourage everyone to create their own thread if ever you have any questions to ask or share any relevant information that may be helpful to expatriates.

Let this thread be clear for only new members to present themselves please!

Looking forward to hearing from you all again, and maybe help you in your queries.

Best Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hoping to take a trip to Ecuador soon and possibly move within a year.  Single woman wanting to continue working - possibly teaching English.  Spanish needs help.  Want to talk to others with expat expertise. I prefer the highlands, but would live where there are job opportunities.

I am "cold in Minnesota" and I am planning a trip to Ecuador in February or March, 2015, to begin the process of exploring whether this is where I want to live in retirement. Because I have COPD, the high elevation communities will not work well for me. Does anyone else have COPD who has found a home in Ecuador? What suggestions do you have for precautions on arrival in Quito? Which regions will be most tolerable (low pollution level, below 5,000 ft elevation)? I spent a few months in Costa Rica 40 years ago and had no problems living in Nicoya, a small rural town. I only experienced "culture shock" when I returned to the US and faced the noise and fernetic pace of life we consider normal.

1.Get checked out by your doc--  for your present status first -- esp for a trip to another country.  I have had lung infections and have compromised/restricted airway system and I found my doc gave me good advice.   

2. Ecuador is on the equator.  The country varies from high in los Andes or low and very hot along the beautiful coast.  You may not want to consider the east side of los Andes which is la selva, very hot also -- the jungle. Most people moving here from out of the country don't want the jungle.

3. Read the internet and do your homework on climate, what you can tolerate -- then come and visit. You will have a wonderful trip and can decide here whether it is for you.   I have been in Quito three years and love this city and the country!   Have a good one...
Sue in Quito

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will help but I'm moving to Vilcabamba which is in the southern part of Ecuador and is right at 5000 ft. My home, however, is 10 minutes away and is a little lower than the village itself. You might try contacting the agent I used there and ask him about communities outside Vilca that would work for you.

Vilcabamba is extremely serene and tranquil. It is also very clean. The water, which comes down from the mountains, is full of minerals, is potable and also is quite delicious. Much of the area has organic fruits and vegetables as it was the poorest part of EC for a long time, and the people never had the money to us chemicals on tier soil (a benefit of poverty, if that could make sense!)

If you want my agent's name, feel free to private message me.

Starting a dog rescue anywhere in Ecuador seems ambitious.  I heard a story about a woman who took in strays somewhere near Vilcabamba and then found out they were not strays!  The dog situation is the most stressful part of my move to Ecuador.  I will not bring my dogs as they are medium to large, but the strays in Cuenca break my heart.  I am planning a 3 to 6 month sabatical to Ecuador beginning in January / February 2015.  I have been to Ecuador three times spending most of my time in Cuenca.  When will you move?

Clover

Hello, I am a single, retired woman planning a 3 to 6 month sabatical to Ecuador beginning Jan or Feb 2015.  Would love to hear from other travelers / retirees planning to be in Ecuador during the first six months of 2015.  I have been to Ecuador three times spending most of my time in Cuenca.  I will begin my trip in Cuenca moving on to Yunguilla Valley to visit friends who moved from Cuenca.  Hope to hear from you!  Also, looking for a short term affordable rental(s) in Cuenca and Mancinitas.

I'm also looking for a 2 week rental or preferably a homestay type of accommodation where l could rent a room in a family home & get to know the people better.
(l did this in Sri Lanka last year & it worked out wonderfully!)

You can PM  me if you like--I would be prepared to offer you and anyone else--affordable welcoming accomodation with pets welcome. LET me know please if you are interested. Canadian.

I have a completely fenced property and will be bringing all of my dogs. I will be living far out from the village itself and wouldn't want to do it unless the locals were involved. There is a great organization called Vilcabamba Nuevo Mundo, and I would like work with them in order to include both locals and expats. I started an animal rescue in New Mexico about 12 years ago and know that education and working with the community is key to making it work. Yes, it is sad to see the dogs in the streets, but they will never have better lives unless we work together.

As of right now, my projected date of arrival is somewhere between late February and early March. I heard from a nam in Ecuador today that the visa process if taking longer and longer now. It will all depend on how that goes!

Susan,

That is very interesting.  I'll arrive in Ecuador in Jan or Feb and will spend some time in Yunguilla as some friends are moving there.  I work with a rescue in Texas.  One of the board members lived in NM for many years and did rescue there as well.   Good luck!  Hopefully we'll meet in Ecuador. 

Clover

My wife and I had seen a couple of pieces on how well you can live in Ecuador on retirement income began researching the various locations and other facts about the country.  We are planning a two week trip during the first part of 2015 and are really looking forward to seeing some of the country first hand.

Good for you and your wife!

Hello All,

I'm a new member here.  I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm looking to relocate to Cuenca with my 4 year old son within the next 2 years. I've never been to visit, but have been researching and wanting to go for over half a decade, sooooo my plans are to buy a one way ticket after taking care of all of my relocation details. As I continue to learn more about the experience in Ecuador here on the Expat.com, I'll be moving closer and closer to finalizing my plans.

Bienvenido:
A piece of smart advice given to me 15 years ago when I first came to South America:

ALWAYS buy an ida y vuelta ticket (round trip) as the one-way prices are high here, deals are fewer and it is way smarter/cheaper to buy the RT tix in case you just happen to change your mind!  (which has been known to happen to some of us, with all good intentions)

Also brush up your Spanish in the meantime... there's good cartoon Spanish on YouTube for you little kid... 
   Suerte -Sue in QUito

Thanks for the advice Sueb4bs. I initially said that I would take a trip on a 90 day Visa first before moving, however,  I was really not wanting to return to the states after packing up/selling most of my belongings. I'll be moving within the next two years anyway, so I just made the decision to jump into it with both feet. However after hearing your advice, I'll consider opting for the round-trip ticket. Estudio espanol en mi escuela por cuatro anos y vivo in Texas por dos anos. (I studied Spanish in my school for 4 years and I lived in Texas for 2 years) . Although it seems I've studied and immersed myself in the Spanish  culture for a while, I've forgotten so much and some of my Spanish is pretty rusty. Thanks for the advice about YouTube. I'll see what I can find for my son :-)

Hi, Again, Judy!
Just a quick note to keep in touch as I am now in Cuenca after some wrong turns as in choosing to live in Cumbaya for a while. How are your plans coming along for moving?

HI
I am seriously preparing myself to move to Bahia de caraquez, Ecuador.
As soon as my house sells i am on my way.
I am in the process to learn Spanish , my mother tong is French
and need someone to,have conversation.
my SKYPE name is Paulzy3

I live in San Francisco California and work as a Science teacher and accupuncturist.  I just finished a Web Developer Immersion program and am looking for work....In the meantime I am looking to move to ecuador and am looking for a step by step procedural method.  I am looking to work in a city but it is not nec that I live in it....

any help would be appreciated

I live in San Francisco California and work as a Science teacher and accupuncturist.  I just finished a Web Developer Immersion program and am looking for work....In the meantime I am looking to move to ecuador and am looking for a step by step procedural method.  I am looking to work in a city but it is not nec that I live in it....

hello,

Hey there,

Hi,

I'm not sure you will find a step-by-step procedural method on moving to Ecuador (I have purchased a home and am just getting ready to begin the visa process myself). However, as a retired teacher I can assure you that in International schools, Science teachers are quite hard to find. Have you considered googling for international schools in Ecuador? Many international schools provide either an apartment or a housing stipend. I worked overseas for over ten years before I retired, and loved it! Bueno suerte!

Susan,
....thanks for getting back to me.  I am not looking for anything thorough, just some guidelines.  I teach at the community college and college level and have a California Substitute teaching credential for k-12.  I am just in desperate need of change.  I was supposed to move to korea to teach, but relationship ties made that impossible.  If you suggest any pathways towards this process I would greatly appreciate it.  If you prefer we can use email as a method of communication.  Also let me know how you like it there.  One of the reasons I want to move is for a simpler life, one where people are nicer and genuine.
Thanks much.

Jozef

I am a 'newbie' to this forum and hoping for good conversations about Ecuador, especially Cuenca. I have retired twice...just not for me! I am a healthy, happy senior and very active.  I am a retired public school teacher, program director, and administrator. I have been an executive director of non-profit organizations since retiring from public schools 15+ years ago.  I am interested in visiting or possibly living in Cuenca, Ecuador; my husband is not too keen on the idea yet. It takes him longer to accept new ideas and is less adventurous than I am. I think in time he will lean in my direction.  I am interested in learning from the experiences of those who have moved to Ecuador so that I am well prepared for my visit or relocation in the future.

Fstop, I just saw your question and have no idea if you ever received an answer.

This site can give you the answers to your question regarding your pets:

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Ecuador.cfm

I have traveled internationally thrice before, and it's pretty much the same everywhere. Just be aware that a person entering EC can only come with two animals. I have three, so I will have a friend travel with me and bring my third four-legger in with her.

I have not yet finished my paperwork to go to live in my home in Vilcabamba, so I don't know much about medical facilities - although I would bet that Loja, the nearest city and capital of the the province of Loja, might be the place to go. I did find the following - but it was posted by someone peddling tourism and immigration so you might accept it with a grain of salt:

"With more than ten private clinics, and two large hospitals, Loja offers first class medical facilities. Needless to say, medical expenses in Ecuador are extremely affordable.  As an example, an appendectomy and three nights at the best private clinic in Loja in a private room costs $1,100 US. The same procedure and the same accommodations at a medical facility in the United States will be above $12,000 dollars.  Many doctors in the city are educated abroad. Lojas private clinics offer the latest equipment and technology to treat almost every medical condition."

I hope you find what you're looking for!!

My name is Joy I live in Florida at the present time. I have lived in Memphis Mo. for around 10yrs.  If anyone can give me imput or where to stay for 1 month I appreciate your imput.  Traveling to Cuenca Ecuador in November 2014 with a male friend.

Thank you for the welcome.

I am an expat from the USA, retired.  I have been living in Jinotepe, Nicaragua for over five years now.  I want to move to Ecuador.  Nicaraguans love to celebrate with gunpowder.  That´s OK for a cumulative few weeks over the year but it is getting worse (almost every Catholic Saint staring at 3AM) and a louder gunpowder is being used.  I own a house which is on the market but many of you know how that goes.

Thanks Susan....Alot of good information there. Finnegan and I have started to collect our documentation. As a Canadian living illegally in the USA...I/m wondering if it might be better if I apply for the Retirement Visa in Ecuador.
TGIF.....Cheers

Thank you for the welcome - Actually we are just starting our investigation into possible retirement outside of the USA.  We are currently trying to decide where?  Belize? Ecuador? Panama? Costa Rica? others in South America???  I plan to do a lot of reading on the forums and our first step is to vacation at as many"possible" locations as we can during the next  year or two.

We are planning to take 2-3 weeks of vacationing in early 2015 and are currently trying to decide where - and how to get the best "feel" for the area we are exploring. 

When we move, we will start by renting first... and purchasing later.  We are 64 and 70 years of age.

Any insights or thoughts that could help us not waste time and dollars would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for any comments or suggestions.
Jacque

Hi David,  My name is also David.  I live just outside Cotacachi on a small farm.  We moved here from Manhattan, KS  three years ago.  There is one other couple from Abilene, KS as well.  Were both Kstate supporters

Closed