Getting married in Nepal

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Nepal or who are about to get married in Nepal to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Nepal? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Nepal)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

I Got married in Kathmandu in 2000. To NEwari women.... The only formalities are the ones imposed on you by the family and by immigration. First, you must have a fiance' visa for your country to bring your Nepali wife back, second, she must have all the vaccinations to come back, and a passport... I had to apply for visa in USA for my wife and supply an affadavit of support. Other than that, the formalities were rather modest for my family, since they were very poor.. It tool about 4 hrs for my "budhri" to get ready.. other than that, it's all about shopping for the "formal" sari and jewelery.

Hi tintala!

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Armand

The laws have changed a bit from what I have heard, you no-longer need a fiance visa as if you are marrying a Nepali women you are not always expected to take her home.

There is also a civil marriage option nowadays, although this is a political party marriage.

If anyone has more info on this I would be interested to hear it.  Dont know much more than hear-say myself.

For a court marriage in Nepal there are many requirements. Each step requires a significant amount of time and travel.  For example, the Nepali citizen must receive approval from the police to get married.  In Kathmandu one must go to the main police station in Durbar Square.  There is a fee for foreigners to enter Durbar Square.  It is possible to get this fee waved if you enter via a special gate.  The main police station writes a letter to the smaller police station near where the Nepali citizen lives.  It is then necessary to go to the second police station and get another letter stating the Nepali citizen is of good moral character and not wanted by authorities.  You must go outside of the police station to buy the letterhead for them to write the letter.  There are many requirements for photocopies of various ID cards etc.  The second police station may refer you to the small police substation closest to the Nepali citizen's home.  After getting approved from 3rd station you need to return to 2nd station for approval and then original station in Durbar Square for final approval and sealed authorization letter.  The sealed letter must be carried to Babarmall Mahal CDO.  In the process you spend hours sitting next to handcuffed prisoners.  Any and/or all stops can require bribes.  You are only told the next step in the process and often have to backtrack because you were unaware step #3 and step #7 could have been accomplished at the same time while at location #4.  The system is designed to be so complicated that you will end up offering a bribe to make it end.  The people at Babarmall Mahal offered  a same day marriage for 30,000 NRs.  Another man that works outside of the main gate offered the same service for 8,000NRs.  One of the VDC offices would not do their part without a 15,000 NRs bribe.  My advise would be to save your time and sanity and just pay someone at Babar Mahal and avoid all of the requirements.

:top:

Hi all ,
        I am from India nd my fiance is frm Nepal . I was in Nepal very recently and while I was there my fiance and I went to  Babar Mahal and the CDO to enquire about getting married in Nepal and other formalities. Honestly speaking , no one there seemed to be interested in helping us . All of them tried to convince me that it is better to get married in India as getting married in Nepal can be tiresome and difficult due to the various formalities by the Govt. They also told me that a No Objection Letter / No Objection Certificate  was the first document that I needed to submit in order to start the long proceedings . So to  anyone who is  stuck in a similar situation . . . . .any useful advice wud be valuable. Waiting with ma fingers crossed !!!!!!

I am married to Nepali man. To register our marriage we have approached the local district administration office as per my husband's residence registration (in our case - Sindhupalchok district). Prior to that i have arranged a No Objection letter from my embassy. Further we have hired a lawyer working at our district office. Discussed, bargained and settled on 15,000Nrs for the whole of work with him. He arranged all the forms filled, signed (incl. a clearance from the police station), walked himself though all the needed cabinets in one day. On our second visit from Kathmandu to the office we were officially handed over the ready marriage certificate. Later my husband had to stamp it at the counter of Ministry of Foreign Affairs (the passport offcie near the Tridevi marg) for some small fee to count it a verified certificate onwards. In total it was relatively unpainful procedure:)

Thank u so much for posting a valuable content . I should say it eased off a little tension. However , there is one other problem. My fiance now lives in a rented flat in Kathmandu but her ancestral home is in Butwal ( approx. 7-8 hours drive from Kathmandu ) . Also the residence address as per her National ID Card is that of Butwal . So do you think that the required documents sholud be and could be attained fom Butwal only? I heard that she will have to produce a certificate  stating that she has been staying in that particluar place for a minimum period of 30 days prior to the marriage date from where the application is made -  which in this case is Kathmandu . Any advice to get out of this maze and make it easier ?

I have also heard about the rule of stay for 30days from our lawyer. Well, in Nepal i guess there is always a way out of everything if you are ready to pay fee for that:). That means choose a station you wanted to register the marriage, find a lawyer connected to the office there and discuss with him a possibility of arranging a 30day-stay-prove-paper through. I am sure he could do that.Nobody is going to come to your residence and really check.So just a paper is quite easy to obtain.Maybe you could do that even with some hotel.Get a paper from them that you stayed at their hotel for  a month. I guess the local lawyer must have such contacts and ways to ease the process. Also, as far as i am informed, any regional district office is always easier to do the paper work with, rather than KTM (this place is always costlier). Check out places like Dhulikhel office for instance,which comes under Kavre district and is not far from KTM...

Thank you so much Yangzom . I really appreciate your willingness to help me . Let me be honest in saying that I have spent countless hours trying to get a proper forum to discuss and get my questions answered and burnt midnight oil to come to a solution . U dont know how valuable these pieces of advice are. I jus wanna ask u one more thing . I am working in Oman  ( Muscat ) presently and am planning to come back to Nepal in about a year or so . I will be staying there for a maximum of thirty days only as I am coming on my annual leave . Will I be able to finish these procedures within the mentioned time limit ? I know I will have to start right from Day 1 and trust me I will . A reply would be highly appreciated as this is a vital part of the  'never-ending procedure ' . Thanks once again Yangzom .

Well, i guess 30 days must be enough if planned ahead wisely. It is better to find a lawyer/advocate ahead of your arrival, otherwise the good part of time will go just for that thing. Discuss the time lap possibility with your lawyer and his level of contacts within the office.Usually from the day of submitted application they will require a week minimum to process the application during which they check the validity of the submitted documents.  It is guaranteed that officials will try to extend this time to any undefined period, so make your lawyer promise you ahead the exact maximum number of days he will require for the taken amount of money. In our case it was a week of waiting after submission of application. Be careful about the possible Nepal official festivals (like Dashain, Gai Jatra anything like that) on which your annual holidays can fall. The office people will be reluctant to process the papers during the festivals for sure!
If you are citizen of India, check ahead with Indian embassy in Kathmandu which papers may be required from your side for the marriage registration. You might spend some time obtaining them. You could start that doing in advance.

Hey Yangzom , would you be kind enough to tell me how to get my No Objection Letter ? Where do I get it from ? From the Indian Embassy ? If yes , from the one in Kathmandu or in India ? Thanks.

The NOL must give the embassy or consulate of your citizenship country. Surely you will get all the clear information from the Indian Embassy in KTM. Just google their web-site and email in internet...

Thank you Yangzom . I'll get to it right away .

hello iam  a canadian living in  canada  my  fiance is nepali  living  in  nepal  we want to get married there  in nepal  but have no idea  where  to start  i will be going on a 90  day visa to nepal  but dont want to  waste alot of time running around  so anyone know  of a good laywer there at  a reasonable price  that  works  with the cdo  office region  of pokhara it would be appericated  very much  thank you

hello  iam  engaged  to  a nepali man and  we  will be getting married in nepal  can you please advise  on  the quickest  way to get around  all the running and  paper work  it seams a long hard process and  i wil be there for  2 months in total  and dont  want to spend the 2 months  running around  .what papers  do i need  ? is there any one  lawyer we can contact  to get this done quickly ? iam  canadian . thanks for any help  u can give

I am really confused with the procedures in Nepal, can anyone suggest me or tell me if i just want to get a register marriage done, where do i need to go and what documents should i be carrying? since, i want my future wife to travel back with me and is 1week good enough.
thanks

I am a british citezen and recently got married to a nepali citezen in nepal through a court marriage I am now back in england and my partner is still in Nepal however me and my husband are not yet legally married in nepal and I am now back in the UK his lawyer is saying that I need to send an unmarried certificate to prove that I am not married in the UK I am not sure where to get this paper from though does anyone have any idea? If so could you please let me know it would be very much appreciated because once I have that I should then get the certificate to say that we are married without this unmarried paper we will not be married, thank you

For American citizens, we have to get it from the US embassy, so I think it would a good guess to check with your embassy. Ours cost $50, I think, but don't know about the Brits'.

hello right now iam living in Nepal  with my  fiancé  who is nepali  .we are having a hard time to get married  here  already  15  days + of  running and  getting papers and  copies and  omg  anything they can think of  to make this harder and longer  for us  my  fiancés family  are  waiting with us  and every day  ask the same thing  is everything done yet  and again we have to say no! we were asked to go back to the cdo office  tomorrow  I hope this is the final time we have to wait  . I think bc  we have a little age difference  they are giving us a hard time  age does not matter  to us  we love eachother  for real and it is not a joke or fake marriage  as he does not want to leave  Nepal  he wants us to live here not  in Canada  ! he loves Nepal  and I have come to love it to  .

canadiangirl46 ,

the best thing to do is to hire a lawyer who will take care of everything, i think

pls i dont speak  good english.i would like to request information about coat marrige in kathamandu.my girl frn from thailand and i am from nepal how we can marrige .what document need us.now we are in uae but we want to coart marriage in kathamanu .pls advice me what i need paper.thank you

i request all of you.i can not good speak english .i want to
marriage in coart in nepal.i am men from nepal and she from thailand .we want to marriage  in nepal.what paper need for us pls could u help me ..thank you.we are in uae now but we wantvto go back nepal..

how to do court marriage

md Shahrukh wrote:

how to do court marriage

Welcome to EB.

Could you please introduce yourself to the forum with a little information about yourself. That way others will feel at ease giving you the information you are seeking. Thanks

Fren I m muslim n my gf is hindu we luve eachother lot. But our parents will not except us. That y u want to do court marriage. Is there any advocate to help us in nepal

Help us bro

Hi,I wish if sombody can help me about marriage bureau or marriage offices who arrange or introduce the marriag partner !!!

I am a male from Nepal. I am seeking to do paper marriage and go to Australia. I am a genuine person and intend no harm for any one. I am ready to fund for studies if the lady is intending to go to Australia on student visa. Or if any lady is already in Australia, I can give her enough compensation.
Please get back to me on this.

its seems all are confused about marriage system of NEPAL .. i think better to hire lawyer because its not only  about marriage but also how you will get your spouse on your place by better way after marriage.

hi i m in india currently planning to bring my GF to nepal < pls share the lawyer number to contact to get the work done for marriage registeration.

[ Moderated :  :offtopic:  : Kindly note that this thread is talking about marriage in Nepal ]

any body can go and marry in nepal there is no difficulties

If you marry someone in nepal, then marry another one through marriage certificate. Both are done thru certificate not through ceremony. Can that be legal or fake? Can someone check legibility of marriage in nepal marriage registry?? Thank you

The Nepali do things like this all the time, set one wife out without getting a proper divorce and marrying someone new. However, there are good laws in place to protect the wife, so do not think this would work under any scrutiny.

I'm going to guess the reason for such a question. Could it be that you, or the person needing this info, is new to Nepal, on a Tourist Visa and wants to stay a long time. A nice Nepali trekking guide from Thamel offers a cheap way to stay for a long time in Nepal and explains that a marriage visa is a lot less expensive and you can stay for good. Sounds great, but please know that such suggestions to help are scams. Thousands of tourists get deported every year and these guys have no responsibility-it's not a crime to them as far as you are concerned.

I've heard of these guys extorting the tourist for a lot of money and you will always be a phone call away from a nightmare you don't want to know about. There is a special room where they put tourists while they struggle to get the fees, fines and plane fare back to your home country.

Of all the negative things about Nepal, stomach issues, no roads, etc, the visa issues are the worst drawback to Nepal, but we need to be good tourists and manage within the laws. I might know someone with a better, legal, solution, but I'm not sure because this guy is also a lot like the Thamel guys. If you want to explore it send me a private email. It sounded good, but slightly in the grey area. I don't take any commission.

Hi, thank you for your response. I would love to visit nepal and india soon. I heard alot about it. About my concern, Its for a friend not for me. I wonder coz she said the guy had a marriage with a foreign girl for years but they didnt work out well coz the girl flew back to her country. Now he have girlfriend and they had obtain marriage certificate or contract. I heard so much about under the table going on in nepal.. Hahah. I just wonder how it works.

Hello everybody. I'm mexican girl and my bf is Nepali guy. We r planing to get marry in nepal soon.
Can some one tell me abt no objection letter?
I don't know what document is about and dnt know from where can i get it.
I'm planing to travel to Nepal first week on november so my time is short....
Please some one help!!
Thank u so much

Nikki, so technically you are saying you are married through court marriage and still not considered married in nepal? How is that? Thanks for ur response.

Hi if you are planning to get married in nepal. The no objection letter you can get from ur embassy or to where your birth certificate, registration of records in ur country. U can call it national statistics office. U can request from therea s well.