Bringing my dog to live in chiang mai

Do I need to apply for a permit to bring my dog to Thailand?

sharronowens wrote:

Do I need to apply for a permit to bring my dog to Thailand?

Yes you do. I suggest you Google for information regarding this. There are companies who do this.

Is this also the case when travelling with a tourist visa?
Thanks,
Sharron

Hello, you might be in Chiang Mai by now,  take your dog (s)  with you we are. We will be moving there in the next year or so with our 4 dogs, yes I said 4..lol We live in the states and when we go to Chiang Mai we will fly Korean Air from LAX  because they will let us take the 2 smallest dogs on board with us and the other 2 will go in the cargo hold ( most others wont) and there is only a short lay over between flights from Inchon to Chiang Mai. You do have to research about taking you best friend(s) with you and all shots must be current and I even think you have to have them chipped .  It's great to hear some people wanting to take there pet with them on a big move and not just dump them somewhere. That's how we ended up with the 4th dog we have now, she was dumped at Walmart... Hope you will enjoy Chiang Mai... Ted

Yes they need to be chipped.

Please reconsider this.

I had a friend, John, from America who had a black lab he loved.

For years he was here 6 months and in the US for 6 months and boarded his dog while in Thailand.

Then he retired and decided to move to his house in Chiang Mai.

He had his dog vaccinated and shipped to Thailand (later he told me he really regretted doing that).

The dog was in quarantine for 3 (maybe 6) months (he described it as being like solitary confinement - another thing John regretted doing).

Long story short - the day after his dog was released he was let outside, stuck his nose in a hedge, and got bitten by a local spider which killed him.

John says local dogs would have known to leave that type of spider alone.

Sorry to be such a downer but John did tell me he regretted putting the dog through the quarantine before he was released so you might want to consider other options for your pets and get local ones when you arrive.

And the reason for the 3 month quarantine was perhaps he hadn't followed procedures such as immunization, documentation, and chipping??

First, sorry to hear about your friends dog... I have done extensive research on different places that do and don't have quarantine for pets, and Thailand is one that don't have it if you fallow the rules on what they want and need. We have 4 dogs that will travel with us to our new house in Chaing Mai next year.

I should have stated that this happened in the early 90's. Back then quarantine was in Bangkok and John lived in CM. He visited from time to time and said the conditions were fine but the staff only spent a few minutes each day with his dog and he didn't think it was good for his dog's mental health to be alone 99% of the time.

This being Thailand the laws will have undoubtedly changed so maybe the quarantine requirement is gone. I know John had all the required shots and medical stuff done and his dog was clearly physically healthy but they still stuck his dog into quarantine...

90's for most things would be ancient history. I'm following this topic since I plan to bring my Lab with me next year.  No experience but my research thus far points to Thailand being dog friendly for living and immigration providing the necessary steps are followed.  No mandatory routine quarantine.  As for spiders, we have brown recluse spiders here that can kill and I'm sure my dog would not have a clue should he encounter one.  I just thought your post was alarmist.

The local wildlife would still be an issue but the quarantine was the deal breaker. If there is no quarantine then that would remove most of my concerns.

PS: The spiders are probably the same today as in the 90's...

Hi Steve and others....just to share my thoughts about the dog issue. I lost my little one a while back and am thinking of getting a dog over here....so I wouldn't be importing one I'd be getting a locally bred one...
Ive been been in Thailand off and on for a good while....my experiences are these:
All dogs are different of course but here and particularly out of the inner city...dogs are really 'dogs'. That is to say they can be dangerous, they 'can' operate in a pack....and they do have a distinct pecking order.....and they fight. These are street dogs I'm talking about....but there's plenty of them on the street.
Just taking your dog for a walk on a lead like you do back home....in my area at least ... Would not be on. The local dogs would probably attack it.
A little dog that stayed in the house might be different....
Even in the back streets of Chiang Mai town I'm very careful walking at night....Temple dogs will actually challenge you....I have been circled by a number on one occasion...
I take a large umbrella or stick every time I walk at night in the back streets....
Mike...

Hallo
Did you go through with you plans to bring your dog to Thailand? If so, can you please share your experience with me. I intend on taking my dogs as well. Problem is I get conflicting information with regard to procedures once they arrive at customs in Thailand.
I look forward to hearing from you
Regards Karin

Try www.globalpaws.co.za moving your pet from SA. Or do a Google search for pet movers. For the Thai side of things
www.thailand.angloinfo.com/moving-pet-a … g-thailand

Thank you!

we brought our dog, (a yorkee) when we moved to Thailand,you  will need all the dogs shots with in 30 days of  leaveing
a micro chip installed,your local vet should be able to have or get the paper work,if small dog you can take him a the plane with you,if med. or large dog he goes in the baggage box,BE SURE TO GET THE SLIP OF PAPER WORK FROM  THE AIR LINE THAT STATES THAT YOUR DOG WAS LOADED,tell the flight attendent the you are traveling with a dog in baggage DO NOT TAKE OFF WITH OUT THAT PAPER,your dog must travel on the same plane,if you change planes ask for the paper,if they don't have it,tell them you want to see your dog,they will take you out side to see your dog.
wheh you are in Thailand your dog will come up the baggage shoot,that your dog and the paper work, wildlife office,
they are there 24 hours a day,the office is way in a corner.it will cost you 100THB,for them to look at the dog and paper work.after that some times they give you form to take with you,after you leave customs,your home free
**just a note it is very hard to take your dog back out, of Thailand once he (they) has been in Thailand

Thank you, so much for the information. I really appreciate it.  An agent in Bangkok quoted me US$1150 for three dogs. A fellow South African had to pay ZAR15000 (US1250) at customs to get her dogs released and she spend hours to get the paperwork done. I am concerned about taking the dogs back to South Africa if needed. My short term plan is to stay for at least 5 years. I do not know much about the political situation, but I hope it will not effect the foreigners negatively.

@karinvanwyk

Do not worry about the political situation. It is of no worry to foreigners and is not like SA at all in that regard.
The biggest worry would be making sure you do not badmouth the King in any way shape or form and stand up when the national anthem is played.

You will find all explanations about Passengers Traveling with Pets ( into or out of the country ) on below link :

http://airportthai.co.th/main/en/687-pa … -with-pets

The main department in charge of this in Thailand is called "Department of Livestock Development" : http://www.dld.go.th

Good luck to you and your dog..

Hello, I have read you want to move to Thailand with your 4 dogs. I have the same problem ahead. Have you been succesful? I am quite worried about taking my dogs to Thailand ... as me and my husband have strted to move and live there. I have 3 shih tzu pets and they are definitely going with us. Do you think you can share any good advice with me?

Thanks for your time, Martina

Hallo Martina

After months of planning  and several visit to the vet's surgery I decided not to relocate to Thailand. 
When the time came to leave I got cold feet.
The vet was concerned about how the flight would affect one of the dogs. 
Another concern was, incase I had to return to South Africa the dogs have to be quarantined. 
The information I received about the procedure upon arrival in Thailand differ from person to person. One gentleman arrived late in the evening an merely walked through customs. Other people had to pay TB100 per dog for the paperwork, another told me he had to pay a substantial bribe to get his dogs through although all the paperwork was in order.
I was just to afraid something  might go wrong with my furry babies.

I trust your plans will work out for the best.
Regards Karin