I love Thailand, moving to Chaing Mai

:)

Hi Everyone

I have had some amazing experiences in Thailand, the people, culture and way of life

I have made the decision to move to Thailand......... I can only say...... I believe that it was meant to be

I have 25 years experience in the hospitality industry as a an executive chef and Operations Manager. I have worked in London for Rick steins and Gordon Ramsey. The last few years I run many cafes, restaurants and hotels

Going back Christmas time for a holiday and will be looking into places to live, work and to catch up with some follow expats in Chiang Mai.

Though I am in the early stages I am serious about my future in Chiang Mai

If there is any info you could tell me, that would be fantastic

Would be great to catch up over a beer sometime

Andrew

Not one reply to this.
How are your Thai cooking skills?

Hi, Andrerwlarsen, welcome.

IMHO: CM (and Thailand) aren't really good choices as places to get a job, work and earn money. They are places to relax, retire and spend money.

You probably won't have much left from your pay cheque after expenses so don't expect to be able to fund a retirement. After cost-of-living adjustments you'll have a LOT less left over working here.

Consider working here for $30,000 a year. You'll probably spend, at least, $24,000 leaving, at most, $6K annual profit. Compare that to NZ. I suspect you'd be able to save twice that easily. So funding your retirement is significantly impacted. Arguing the cost of living is less here so the difference doesn't matter is only valid if you never, ever leave here when you get old. The way I see it is each year of working here takes one year off funding whatever retirement plans you have. So if you don't have any plans to fund retirement come ASAP - many people find it wonderful here!

Chiangmai is hard for making money if open a restaurant or cafe,here already too much cafe shop and restaurant ,good luck for you and really welcome to move to Chiangmai as I m a expat in Thai as well

Under what arrangements could you possibly 'work' here?
Are you aware of what the wages are here?
There's a restaurant every second shop...
Have you looked into this...
It's the most obvious place to start...
Not saying it's impossible ...but seems improbable...

hi. I live in CM,  whilst I agree that there are many places to eat in CM and that there are many chalanges to setting up a successful restaurant,  I strongly believe it is possible to do so!  I have seen many restaurants that are extremely popular and busy every time I pass them or indeed eat there!  so if you are prepared to do the work and provide a good product, service and atmosphere fir a fair price then CM isa great place to do so.  Both Thai and westerners love good food and would travel a fair distance to go to a place they believe has great food!  Good luck in your future endeavours!