Paying Tax in BG under EU dual tax scheme

Hi,  I am seriously considering moving to BG.  I am an English pensioner aged 63 who has spent the last 7 years living in South Sinai Egypt.  Now I am looking for better life with some EU standards away from the intolerable heat and the growing regional unrest!!.

As BG is now in the EU I believe there is a right for an expat to elect to pay their tax's under the EU rule of reciprocal tax scheme in BG rather than in UK.   My questions are:-

1.  has anyone elected to take up their right to pay in their tax's in BG
2.  if so, how easy was it - any obstacles?
3.  what is the rate of tax in BG, and is there a lower rate for taxing pensions
4.  is there a personal allowance in BG currently it's 10.5K UKP per annum in UK

Would appreciate any advice and help in this matter as it is an important factor on my future relocation plans.

Just for information to any UK expats who reside all year outside the UK (or more than 6 months outside or do not fulfil the habitual residency rules of the UK),  the current government  is planning some changes and if they succeed expats and expat pensioners will lose their personal allowance and be taxed.
I attach the link on this subject for your information;-
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pens … broad.html

Also a link for requesting a postal vote in any elections (valid for 15 years after departing 'old blighty')
votes-for-expat-brits-blog.com/2014/07/29/more-british-expatriates-should-vote/

Income tax is a flat rate of 10%. http://portal.nap.bg/en/page?id=514 check out link to BGN inland revenue site.

SofiaCasa, I am very grateful for the reply and link which I will be checking out.    :cheers:

Hi Anna,

The information about the 10% tax rate is correct. There is no personal allowance here, but pensions are not taxable in Bulgaria.

Many of the ex-pats here receive a pension. Most of them have their pensions paid into a UK bank account. This allows them to keep a visible connection with the UK, and thus avoid the 'Habitual Residency' problem if they have to return. It does mean paying 20% tax on anything above the UK personal allowance, but most pensions are not much higher than the allowance anyway. The main problem with this method is that the banks and building societies in the UK are now charging additional fees when you use one of their credit or debit cards overseas.

I believe that some pensioners have their UK pension money paid into a Bulgarian account, so that they do not have to pay any tax. But the Bulgarian Leva is not an international currency. This can cause problems with money transfer. For example, the pension money might have to be changed into Euro to be sent to Bulgaria, and then changed into BGN when it is withdrawn here. Some of the international banks might be able to transfer in Sterling, so that there will be only one currency change.

Regarding the UK government's plans to withdraw the tax allowance (and with reference to the link that you included), they are targeting people who live overseas and rent out their houses in the UK. Ex-pats whose pensions are based on previous government employment might also be affected, for example people who worked in the NHS or local government, or former civil servants. But the vast majority of pensioners should not be adversely affected by the changes.

Hi Jackie   thank you so much for a great reply.    Unfortunately I closed my UK bank account in 2007 when I left to reside in South Sinai Egypt (big mistake!!).   I don't own any property now so the UK Govt should not get me on the rental property 'net'.   

I have the SRP (frozen since issue 3 years ago as I live outside the EU so get penalised on that plus the other pensioner perks).  I also have superannuations from local government employment which takes me above the P.A. so i am taxed already on this @ 20%.  So may get penalised by Osborne if he gets his wicked way.

Great to know pensions are not taxed in BG, but even if they were 105 is less than 20%.  Plus being in a EU country would unlock my pension being frozen as I would be 'back in the fold EU wise' - so should receive the annual uprating.

I was wondering if you could open a BG bank account that had a UK stirling account within it.  My bank in Egypt has and I can elect to receive overseas payment into the stirling account and then exchange within my own accounts via transfer as & when XE rates are favourable or necessity arises.

I am hoping to fly to BG in October and stay with a friend in the Yambol region.  Will be doing househunting and research.  Possibly for a permanent move or 50/50 for a while to see if the total relocation is best for me.  Have heard lots of K people have moved there and are very happy.  Do you enjoy the life there?. 

In any event any place has got to be better than this hot arid unstable sandpit I currently exist in.  Not only is this country seriously dodgy but all the surrounding countries too.  Reminds me of a powder keg on a short but active fuse!!!

Again mant thanks and any other tips advice please do not hesitate to PM me       :cool: