Life in Sulaymania iraq for single working mother?

Dear All,

I am considering a move to Iraq Sulaimaniya  as i have got some offer. However, i am single mother of a toddler. Can anyone please tell me if there are nice daycare facilities in Sulaymania? Are good nannies easily available? Can i bring my mother with me on work visa to take care of the child? can i bring a nanny with me on my visa?

Thanks alot.

Hello movingtosuli

Welcome to Expat.com

Hope soon enough some members will help you out.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

hi
i would suggest right now it not an better idea because of the crisis
let the things settle down
after all LIFE IS PRECIOUS   ;)

SKYPE   ASIFKAZI7860

There is no crisis in Suli, it is completely tranquil here. That being said, this is not a good place to bring a toddler. The culture in general is somewhat backward with a general disregard for health and safety, especially for kids. You would not easily get a visa for your nanny, only spouses can easily obtain visas and the visa process is very challenging in general unless you have a good Kurdish speaking advocate with some influence.

I think it's a bad idea, but definitely not because of the hostilities in neighboring regions, rather for the general welfare of your child in this particular culture.

Hello everybody,

I have an offer to work in Sulaymania, and may land an offer to work in Erbil. Can someone help in comparing the lifestyle, security, cost of living, etc...in both cities considering I am an older single woman.

Erbil has a much larger expatriate community and you will more easily find services and products geared towards your needs. Suli by contrast has a smaller xpat community and things are slightly less available, but you can still get everything you need, and in Suli fresh produce is cheap and abundant.

Security in Erbil is taken much more seriously because there is a much greater security concern. Suli is largely unaffected by recent political events since there are so few targets for ISIS, we are so remote from the conflict, and the population is so much more homogenous, Sorani Kurd. Because of that you will find fewer checkpoints, fewer guards, etc.. here. Erbil by contrast is currently inundated with refugees, is a political and economic target associated with the international community, and has a heterogenous population of Kurds, Arabs, Turkomen and Expatriates. In Erbil you would want to stick to protected areas and not wander around after dark.

Cost of living is comparable in both places, which is to say fairly low if you cook for yourself. 100K Dinar a week provides plenty of groceries for one person. I recommend sticking to employers who provide housing, especially in Erbil where that is norm anyway because of security concerns.

My personal recommendation is to avoid Erbil at present because there's simply too much war activity being based from there. The CIA has built a large base of operations there and there have been bombing attacks there by ISIS only recently. You'd probably be safe inside a compound, but make sure the compound has nice facilities before you take anything.

it ok then u r most welcome
u can add me to skype    asifkazi7860

asifkazi wrote:

it ok then u r most welcome
u can add me to skype    asifkazi7860

@ asifkazi > Do note that the initiator is looking for some useful information here, so it would be best if you can post these information directly on the forum instead of giving your contact details.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers: