Is 1,000USD per month enough? please help!

Hi everyone,

I wish everyone can help me on this matter.

My boyfriend is about to leave and travel to bahrain as an IT instructor. He was offered with a monthly salary of USD1,000, with free accommodation and transportation.

However, I would like to ask if this salary is enough to live comfortably in Bahrain? And if he could save money with this salary?

Please help! I would appreciate your reply.

In my Opinion, Yes he can able to save thats depending on him since accomodation is free so for food and some extra expenses give or take he will spend 150-200 usd /month also depending on his lifestyle.

Depends on lifestyle.
But I am sure he can save quite a bit.

Thanks a lot for sending your reply. I would like to ask by the way if this salary can allow him to go around and have some short trips in the country?

Thanks a lot for sending your reply..I would like to ask if it is pretty expensive to roam around the city? What kind of lifestyle could USD1,000 give him???

Bahrain is not a very large country. And you don't needs tons of cash to tour around it. :)

And at BD1,000 a month, he will be able to live a fairly comfortable lifestyle.

1000USD equates to approx 377 BHD - i think he can live on this if accommodation and transport is paid for since these are the two highest outgoings here in Bahrain, however, for an IT instructor, i thought he would have been offered more.

A guide to living in Bahrain was written by our two helpful members here in Bahrain. You can find this article here - please do go through it. Alot of time and effort was put in, to help the newcomers here. I'm sure after reading this, you will see if 1000USD will be enough to live on here in Bahrain.

The table in particular will give you an accurate calculation. Its under the heading "How much salary is a good salary in Bahrain?"

Hope this helps.
Good Luck  :)

OMG    :blink:

I am very very sorry. And thanks for the correction jazzy.

I completely messed up this response. I mixed up USD with BHD.

Yes jazzy is right. It's just BD377. And at that pay scale, you could just survive here. Not much of a life style that could be maintained. And savings potential will be quite low.

Sorry once again.

No worries Farhaz - we are all here to help each other.  :)

You've helped others here on Expat.com quite a lot with your advise in the past and still do so today.  This was a genuine mistake, no worries at all.

:)

Thanks a lot for your help! ^_^

@ justcuriousaboutsomething!

The salary for IT instructor to be $ 1,000 is on a lower side. Also he will not be able to save a big deal out of it. I think there is much space available to bargain with the employer. Good Luck!

Engr. Muhammad Hussain

Hi.

I read your message and here's what I can share based on experiences in the Phils and abroad.

I used to teach in State Universities in the Phils. Back in 2011, I was earning an average of 40K/month in pesos (that is roughly a little less than thousand USD). Though I didn't have the luxury of spending, I had much more than what satisfied me then - the time to be with my loved ones.

Reality wise, I needed to earn more for a better future, I moved to KSA and then to Bahrain. The more you earn the more you ascend your standard of living - that's basically what is happening among OFW's who have found relatively "better" income abroad. The plight of an OFW may have not been known to you or to your bf, this is something that jeopardize the money - the loss of dignity being discriminated and the stereotypical impression to Filipinos abroad.

I am now living life comfortably, including my family back home. Comfortably in the sense that it makes me feel relaxed getting to bed without the worries of empty pocket the next day.

You need to consider few things in working overseas:
1. Income - is the salary offered reasonable to make you decide to sacrifice the odds living away from your family?
                  Surely, 1K USD is not reasonable.
                  But If there is no chance finding that salary locally (which could hardly be for beginners), then it can also be a wise option to gamble. Please bear in mind that working overseas is not always a road to success.

2. Opportunity - Will there be other opportunities locally, in case? Or if taking chance to work abroad, there will certainly be better opportunities in the future, considering having experienced working overseas.

3. Flexibility - Hey, working abroad is not only about money, it's also about leaving what you were and what you had back in the Phils., the solitude of love and understanding that only the family can give - don't find it here.

Bahrain is a safe and a beautiful place. Life here is simple (unless you are fond of going to parties - there are night bars in downtown).

Cost of living is not that expensive, especially given the free accommodation and transport.

I hope this thought can help you decide. But moving abroad is a wise decision anyway.

Best of luck.

Larry

@Larry

Hi Larry,

Thanks a lot for such an informative reply. Actually, when he was still here in the Philippines, he was already earning around 25K a month. I believe, he just wanted to experience the life of working abroad and to gamble as well. He was not already happy with his previous job also.

Yes, you are right. It is not just about money. At first, I was skeptical about it. But I have to support him in everything he does. It is his life, anyway. Whatever happens, I am just here to support him.

By the way, I am thinking if he could save money with a 1,000 USD salary? (fare, accommodation, and meal allowance are provided.)

And justcurious... - Mr. Larry's advise has always been very good and practical. Do take it to account when making your decision. Best wishes.