Thailand Retirement,

Hi all bloggers,
first of all can i say how easy this blog site is for those of us that are not that used to internet blogs, however as i am a newby on this sight i will for now on stay here as i found too many problems on thaivisa,First of all i will just give a little insite into my background, i will be turning 65 this year and looking forward to my retirement, i have been working now for the last ten years in a public hospital here in perth as logistics officer,I am looking at retirement in pattaya,Jomtien, and yes i have been to thailand for the last 12 years or so at least two to three times a year,What i wanted to know was that with a retirement extension, The australian full pension pays approx $700 fortnite =1400 month=492000bht,
when you get the stat dec from your embasy, do you still have to show the deposit that you have in the bank, also do you have to show proof of address when applying for your extension of stay. :( in other words do you have to have the same address on your application as on your 3 month visa that i will be getting here in perth.

Well, For Retirement-Extension.

You going to need 65.000 baht income pr month, before paying tax of the money.
Or
800.000 baht in a Thai bank account in you name only.

Or you can combine the 2 things.

Like if you have 49.200 baht income pr month X 12 month 590.400 baht pr year.
Then to find out what you need in you bank you simple do this.

800.000 baht Total amount needed
-   590.400 baht Your yearly income (If use the numbers i put in)
--------------------------------------------------------
    209.600 baht in you Thai bank account.

do you have to show proof of address when applying for your extension of stay. :( in other words do you have to have the same address on your application as on your 3 month visa that i will be getting here in perth.

1. Proof of address is NOT always required at ALL immigration offices, if you didn't know they vary a bit from province to province how they apply the rules. A rental agreement is handy if you have one or a yellow house book(which you are unlikely to have). Failing that a reciept from a long term guest house would do.

Remember if you are granted a retirement extension you will need to report your address every 90 days to your LOCAL immigration office.

2. Doesn't need to be same address as you write on VISA application. Lets face it most of us arriving here the first time do not know where we will eventually live.

BTW your pension is not enough to qualify for a retirement extension-see above post

Thanks thetefldon,
i will have superanuation which i can use as a supplement to balance my bank account, i can go either way 800,000,
or deposit and Pension, if you do the deposit and embasy stat dec, after arriving in los how long before i can apply for the extension,
thanks morry.

mooseinthai wrote:

Thanks thetefldon,
i will have superanuation which i can use as a supplement to balance my bank account, i can go either way 800,000,
or deposit and Pension, if you do the deposit and embasy stat dec, after arriving in los how long before i can apply for the extension,
thanks morry.

60 days after arrival. If its money in bank(full amount) then it needs to be there 60 days before application(3 months thereafter).

Hi,
I have the retirement visa second year now.
I just showed my Embassy bank statements for six months, and go a letter from my Embassy, to proof it is my income.
No questions asked, very fast same day type thing, in less than ten minutes.

I also took the multiple re-entry visa as i travel a lot.
1900 bath for one year visa no visa runs, just report to Emigration every three months.
4000 for the multiple re-entry visa, good for one year.
Enjoy !!!

If you have a retirement visa, are there restrictions on leaving and re-entering the country?

Proandgo wrote:

If you have a retirement visa, are there restrictions on leaving and re-entering the country?

If you are on a "RETIREMENT EXTENSION" i.e. an extension of stay granted at Thai Immigration then you need a re-entry permit to keep your stay alive if you leave Thailand. You must return before the extension of stay expires.

Failure to do either means you have to start the process again.

If you are on a Multi Entry Non O Visa or O-A(sometimes referred to as Retirement visa) then you can leave and re-enter Thailand as often as you like during the validity of the visa.

there are several ways to do this
the Australian Embassy NEVER asked me to prove one baht in proof of funds - as all the Australian Embassy is signing for is that they have seen you signing the statutory declaration that you make the required some of money to meet the demands of the Immigration Department for your Non O visa. As they said to me before "we are not a bank" and its not our job.

You could get married so that your amount needed per month is less. Sign a prenuptial first.

Amy hotel of place where you are staying wil give you a bill that has your name and address on it.

There are other ways and so contact me personally if you need to know more - we operate a law office in Pattaya Jomtien and its not expensive.

You may not like some of the bloggers on Thaivisa...but you will get current...up to date...advise from the moderators...

Just expect...the unexpected when going to immigration...it can be an alarmingly bad experience...sour puss faces asking why you did not bring this or that...and with the military takeover and crackdown on visas...it has given new life to those who want to abuse the foreigners who have to go to immigration...hope you can handle the hassles...good luck...

If you go into Immigration with an "attitude" then you get attitude back. Many farangs go into Immigration  with this attitude that their home country's way is the only right way to do things and even stupider is that the farang has no idea how foreigners are treated by their home country and the bureaucracy and attitude they must tolerate.
I have never had a problem with Immigration except for one officer who was just a lazy SOB but he just took a long time to do anything but I did not get attitude because I treated them with some respect.
I also obey the laws of the Kingdom just like I would expect an immigrant in my home country to do.

I just had mine renewed no problem

@wasagabob.

You are so correct about the attitude from foreigners, so many come to Immigration thinking there are special, and the people working there, better stand back, bow, and give them what they wanted.
If they have to wait more the 10-30 min, they start make sound, complain, try to skip the queue and so on.

If people have showing "bad" behave at the Immigration office, some times the Immigration office get irritate, and then if the foreigners ask a little wrong, they say NO !!!!!!
Can´t do that here.

Let me tell you all.
I have stand in and help a few Fa-Rang over my years here. after they get a clear NO from Immigration after asking for a 1 year Retirement Visa at Immigration.

The Immigration tell them NO, simple because.
01: there is nothing called Retirement Visa in or out side Thailand, it is a term make up by us foreigners.
02: Visa can only be done outside Thailand.

So i talk to the foreigners get a NO (This is out at Bangkok Immigration) And find out, it is a 1 year Extension of stay for the reason of Retirement they want to apply for.
Then we go back with new queue number, i do the talking, apologizes for my "friend" tell a little lie about problem with GF, that why he look so upset, act so badly and so on.
But he like to apply for a  1 year Extension of stay for the reason of Retirement.
And sure he get that, When asking correct there never a problem.

When talking to the Immigration office that first say NO, then Yes, it is clear, if they don´t like the way your are acting / behave, they take first chance to refuse you, but only if YOU use wrong word, don´t have all the paperwork with you and so on.
There are not going to ask you if it is Extension you want and not Visa, if you have upset them first.

I help the school i go to before all so, as so many student go to Immigration Office, and get NO, Simple because asking wrong, asking for a 90 days ED-Visa, and NOT 90 days ED-Extension.

My self, i find Immigration people at Bangkok and Nonthaburi Immigration to be very fair.
Even if someone have "forgot" a small thing, they normal are very "large" about it, and tell one to remember it next time.
Some item Immigration NEED, so if people forget that, they have to provide it.
I think people working at Immigration are wonderful people, All ways smile, all ways kind, all ways trying to help one.
And that even after many "bad" behave foreigners that day, how they do it i never understand.

Have a nice day all of you out there in the big world.

I have been to Immigration several times and often get embarrassed at some of the people that go there.
Once I saw a guy with no shirt and shoes and an officer was telling him to go away and be more respectful.
Other guys arrive with tattoos on their face and head -

So I suppose you get what you give

My 2 satang:

Don't f*** around with the income requirements. As soon as you get here open a Thai bank account and deposit 800,000 baht. Do that immediately! Open a term deposit at the best interest you can. Tell your bank it is specifically for your Retirement Visa and they won't give you an unqualified account (you MUST be able to make withdrawals - no problem as any withdrawal is paid pathetic interest if withdrawn before the term is due).  Then, before your Tourist Visa (granted with only a passport on arrival) expires, apply for a N-O visa, which is good for 90 days, and rent someplace for a year (the 'nicer' the place the 'easier' your immigration experience will be). Please ignore the previous advice claiming you won't need proof of residency as you WILL need to show them your lease agreement. Before that visa expires, and after your money has been in the bank for 60 days (only the first time, afterwards it is 90 days), apply for your Retirement Visa (or extension as some insist on calling it).

Be polite and expect to spend hours and hours at immigration (or just get your ticket number, go have some lunch or see some sights and come back periodically to see how close it is to being called). This will include both your N-O visa application and your Retirement 'Visa' application

Then you'll need to do a 90 Day Report (every 90 days). FYI: That costs nothing but your time.

Immigration is unfriendly to those that believe they are superior. Make sure you are contrite and polite and you will have no problem.

Consider that 800,000 baht as your escape money. Leave it, earning interest forever, renewing the term deposit as it comes due. If/when things go wrong you will have that money to restart your life elsewhere. Alternatively you can spend it and create another account with 800,000 baht 3 months before each time you need to renew your Retirement 'Visa' (annually).

PS: I got my Retirement 'Visa' in May. Applied for a 'permission to re-enter' visa in July and went back to Canada for 10 days, returned and did my first 90 Day Report in August. I'm good until my next 90 day report due in November, when I expect no problems as there is no requirement for proof of address or income/bank balance (although you are legally required to report any change of address - I think that is suppose to happen IMMEDIATELY if you do change address regardless of your visa time frame).

PPS: My stamp in my passport says "RETIREMENT". It doesn't say visa or extension - just RETIREMENT (despite previous posters comments).

thetefldon wrote:
Proandgo wrote:

If you are on a "RETIREMENT EXTENSION" i.e. an extension of stay granted at Thai Immigration then you need a re-entry permit to keep your stay alive if you leave Thailand. You must return before the extension of stay expires.

If you are on a Multi Entry Non O Visa or O-A(sometimes referred to as Retirement visa) then you can leave and re-enter Thailand as often as you like during the validity of the visa.

Strange that you would post "sometimes referred to as Retirement visa" as every single time I've posted that phrase you have jumped all over it!

Perhaps it isn't the phrase itself that bothers you.

Perhaps it is just you personally dislike me.

I get that and it is okay. I don't care much for you, either, but since this is a forum where people ask others for advice maybe you could start concentrating on replies that address the OP rather than me (and, yes, I know I just did that but I won't be doing it again, eh!)

recklessron wrote:
thetefldon wrote:
Proandgo wrote:

Strange that you would post "sometimes referred to as Retirement visa" as every single time I've posted that phrase you have jumped all over it!

Perhaps it isn't the phrase itself that bothers you.

Perhaps it is just you personally dislike me.

I get that and it is okay. I don't care much for you, either, but since this is a forum where people ask others for advice maybe you could start concentrating on replies that address the OP rather than me (and, yes, I know I just did that but I won't be doing it again, eh!)

If you care to read my quote you quoted it says "...or O-A visa(sometimes referred to as a retirement visa)" which it is. Not by me but by others. However you have not been talking about an O-A visa but an extension of stay which you insist on calling a retirement visa when the evidence from your own passport that you published in another post clearly shows you are here on an extenssion of stay based on retirement.

Now call me pedantic but that's a fact and you supplied the visual evidence.

How could I possibly dislike you since I do not know you? Just because I chose to challange what you write does not mean that I have any feelings towards you.

By the same maxim how can you dislike me we have never met?

This is a public forum and members may reply to any posts, including replies to OP's, especially if the replies contain information that is incorrect and might mislead other members.

As I've said before the stamp in my passport says RETIREMENT it does not have the word Extension anywhere! As it is good for 1 year with annual renewals I will continue to refer to it as a RETIREMENT VISA. Which is what I asked for when talking to immigration and no one there ever had any problem calling it that. In fact ONLY YOU have been on my back about that reference and you've done it multiple times on multiple threads. ONLY YOU!

bulls in a paddock

move on