Getting into Cambodia

Ok, I'm not a novice traveller, but I am confused about the hassle getting into Cambodia.

Our original plan was to fly into BKK, travel down to Pattaya, then to the Trat/Koh Kong border crossing.

We're planning to stay in Cambodia for a couple of months, so need a business visa.  This precludes us getting e-visas in advance.

I read a lot about hassle at the Koh Kong border when getting visas and the whole issue of getting to Trat, crossing to Koh Kong, getting the bus to Sihanoukville makes me feel it will just be better flying from BKK to Siem Reap for a few days and then getting the Ankor Air flight down from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville.

Any advice on this appreciated.

Hi,

Just becareful right now the crime against foreigners is high in Cambodia, watch your bags and your family and friends because they are also getting violent. Especially at night time be more careful, good luck and enjoy our trip safely.

Thanks Mebaria

We're always careful with our belongings and not really out at night time so I guess we can miss most of the issues.

We also won't be hanging around "dodgy" bars or areas as we like to chill with friends in quiet bars etc.

What type of violence is happening?

Hi

The robberies they are not only trying to take your bags but hurt you in the process. So they are violent robberies.

Do they carry weapons? Is this mainly in certain areas?  Thanks for the info.

Hi,

Yes a lot of illegal guns so a lot of those bad guys carry guns or knifes.

Violence in Cambodia
What a lot of hog wash       crime in cambodia i have never seen in 10 years ; 3 years visiting

fly into phnom Pehn and get the bus down
You will save endless problems    ; shit roads   and heaps of time

mjk

where do you hang out  ;   obviously in seedy areas

Thanks MJK,

I've been checking out comments on crime with a number of friends on the ground and nobody has heard anything about things getting worse or a spate of crimes in Snooky.  It seems the same as in Hurghada, Egypt, where we're based.  You can find trouble if you look for it (certain areas, bars, behaviour etc), but in the main it's fine.  There are people in Hurghada as well that are always posting the negatives about the place.

Even better than flying into PP and coming down the road of death, I think, is the option to fly to Siem Reap, have a week then then fly straight down into Snooky.  No wasted time on the road (yes, I know it's more expensive, but it will be just this one time for us).

March seems like such a long way off now!

If you want trouble you can always find

Be alert ; relax and you will enjoy
Siem Reap is a good option :  you will enjoy our little oasis

Coming from South Africa I would consider Cambodia seriously safe!! Obviously if you are going to hang out in dodgy places you'll find problems.

(Moderated: inappropriate)