Getting married in Egypt

I don't think so. Anyways, stamp it from Georgian embassy in Egypt, then Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then translate it and stamp the translation as well, then go to the Civil Status Authority in Abasiya, Cairo to register the marriage, If they require further documents they will let you know.

Hi, I am a 21 years old Indian girl planning to get married to a 39 yr old Egyptian man living in New cairo. We plan to get married in 2 years. 1.What all documentation work do I need to get done from India before I arrive to Egypt for our civil marriage?
2. I am a Hindu by religion and he's a muslim. Is civil marriage possible under religion difference? If yes then do I need special document to submit?
3. We don't want to go from orfi to legal marriage. We want legal marriage directly. As I am indian and I need 6 months non touristic visa, what does this kind of visa mean?
Looking forward to your support.
Thanks in advance

No, a Muslim cannot marry a Hindu in Egypt, and if you get married overseas, this marriage is null and void in Egypt, and the children of such marriage will not be deemed Egyptian citizens or legitimate children of the father.

Are there no special marriage act under which this difference of religion can be sorted out? If no does that mean i will have to convert to Islam as the only option left? Like in india muslim can marry hindu under Special Marriage Act which is legal.

A Muslim man can marry a Muslim, Christian or Jewish woman. No act, exception, or waiver otherwise

marriage.about.com/od/international/p/egypt.htm
Under the interfaith marriage column the only exception is muslim bride and non Muslim husband.  Has this changed to what you wrote?

It has never changed. You do not believe me, feel free to travel all the way, waste your time and money and get turned down at the registrar office. The only legal marriage between a muslim man and a non muslim woman is if she is christian or jewish.

marriage.about.com/od/international/p/egypt.htm
Under the interfaith marriage column the only exception is muslim bride and non Muslim husband.  Has this changed to what you wrote?

I don't intend to clash or deny your factual help. I know I sound foolish but it's because I'm unaware of the law there. By the way what does it mean to be turned down at the registrar office?

Means they will decline marrying you to him

I had to submit proof of religion for my wife and the signs at the foreigner wedding registrar said it clearly.

Furthermore, if you get married overseas, this marriage is not recognized in Egypt and will entail no residency, citizenship, or proof of fatherhood rights in Egypt, since there is a similar sign at the other office in the civil status authority for registering marriages that took place overseas.

Ok I see. yesterday he asked his lawyer and he said that under the adoption of the new Constitution under the new president there's freedom to marry in any religion. Is that so?

LOL .... his lawyer is trying to milk any money out of him. This is absolute BS. The law has not changed

One easy way to verify my claims.

Ask him to go to Ministry of Justice in Lazoghly Square, Fourth Floor (Foreigner Marriage office), and ask. This is the only place where an Egyptian can marry a foreigner, and they are the ones who know as well as apply the rules.

You also can call your embassy in Egypt and ask them (since you need to know from them as well the procedure for getting a Letter of No Objection from them for this marriage and it has to mention your religion). Tell them you are Hindu and the groom is Muslim. They should know.

Hello, does anyone know which hospitals in Hurghada do the pre-marital screening (preferably issuing it without the tests)?
Also, where do you get the residency visa from in Hurghada? I have a 6 month tourist visa currently. Thank you

Hi Dufey,

You need to attend a government run hospital to get the required health certificates for marriage.  There is only 1 in Hurghada that I know of, which is in Dahar on Hospital St.  They will charge you a fortune for your certificate because you are a foreigner and are therefore rich, and almost nothing for your fiance's certificate.  Your fiance needs to do the talking to arrange for certificates without tests and this will cost you backsheesh to get it done.

You need to attend the Passport Office in Hurghada to apply for or extend a visa.  You require a touristic residency visa in order to be married in Egypt.  These are issued for 12 months from the time that you last entered Egypt.  This is also in Dahar at Sharia an-Nasr.  They are open from 8am to 2pm and I recommend you get there as early as possible because it is always busy.

If your fiance is in Hurghada, which I assume he is, then he will know where to go for these 2 things.

Angela

Great thank you Angela

hey good luck with your marriage but i think trying to get all your papers and getting married all in one week is pushing it a bit Is there any way you could extend your holiday Egyptians dont like to be rushed and one of their favorite words is bookra (tomorrow )  :D

Thanks for the information. He checked with the lawyer and I checked with my embassy in Egypt.  Yes you are right. He can marry any woman from Abrahamic faiths only. Can you please let me know:
1. How conversion to Islam takes place in Egypt?
2. Is it necessary for me to get converted to Islam in India first if there's any document required requiring my proof of religion from my home country India?
3. Is it compulsory to change my first or last name upon conversion because I will have a lot of paper work to do in India then.
4. After conversion is it mandatory to perform the marriage in mosque besides the legal one to be done at Ministry of Justice?
5. Also I have heard that many people do the conversion for the sake of document work and don't follow the religion later. Is that true?

Soka5 wrote:

Thanks for the information. He checked with the lawyer and I checked with my embassy in Egypt.  Yes you are right. He can marry any woman from Abrahamic faiths only. Can you please let me know:
1. How conversion to Islam takes place in Egypt?
2. Is it necessary for me to get converted to Islam in India first if there's any document required requiring my proof of religion from my home country India?
3. Is it compulsory to change my first or last name upon conversion because I will have a lot of paper work to do in India then.
4. After conversion is it mandatory to perform the marriage in mosque besides the legal one to be done at Ministry of Justice?
5. Also I have heard that many people do the conversion for the sake of document work and don't follow the religion later. Is that true?

1- for foreigners, you need to go to the Azhar, office of conversion to Islam for Foreigners, with your passport, 3 photos wearing Hijab

2- No, and No

3- No as well

4- No. Marriage between an Egyptian Muslim and a Foreigner Muslim can only take place at MOJ

5- This is something between them and God, I cannot comment on that.

Thank you very much. I will always be grateful to you for supporting me. I hope you won't mind me troubling you for more information if needed in future.

Hello everyone
me and my fiance plan to get married next year
and as she still in college and time is short as she has to get back to college and we plan to get married in October so any advice What to do and prepare?
And do you think we can be together in UK for a year at least(till she finish her college?
as We don't know how it should work and the English website is confusing  we try to plan to spend the Christmas together but looks like not going to work as I have no bank account any advice Helping us to be together will be great thanks

Thank you very much for all this information. I don't know how I would find all this out of it wasn't for all the useful contributors on the thread. I am hoping to get married to my Egyptian Fiance in January, but I will need to check with the various offices to see if they are open as I know it is Christmas on 7 January. We plan to go to Cairo on the 2nd and try to get it all done before the offices close for Christmas, but we will see if it's possible. Does anyone happen to know whether these government offices have long closure in between new year and Egyptian Christmas? :)

Thanks again

hiiiiiii .... how r u doing ????? i hope u r fine .... im mohamed from egypt and im about to get married to an spanish girl and i wanna u to help me through this by telling me ur experience in details if u have time for tht .... its gonna be really great help.... :) u can contact me on yahoo( [email protected]) or on face book mohamed mokhtar

Hi. Hossam and I have an orfi contract at the moment. As for procedure of how to marry in Cairo I really don't have much idea to be honest.
Cheryl

Hi Macko54,

The public holidays in Egypt at the beginning of Jan 2015 are;
Thursday            Jan 1            January 1 Bank Holiday            Bank Holiday
Saturday            Jan 3            Prophet Mohamed's birthday    National holiday
Wednesday    Jan 7            Coptic Christmas Day            National holiday

Sunday Jan 25th is also a holiday in celebration of the revolution.

In my experience, Egyptian businesses can close without notice if they think they can use a holiday as an excuse.  The government offices "should" be open on the days not listed as public holidays, but I wouldn't count on it.

My advice would be to get married either before Jan 1 or after Jan 7.  And don't get married on a Thursday because they close the office early and won't issue your marriage contract until the next business day they are open.

Angela

Egyptian I wrote:

Hello everyone
me and my fiance plan to get married next year
and as she still in college and time is short as she has to get back to college and we plan to get married in October so any advice What to do and prepare?
And do you think we can be together in UK for a year at least(till she finish her college?
as We don't know how it should work and the English website is confusing  we try to plan to spend the Christmas together but looks like not going to work as I have no bank account any advice Helping us to be together will be great thanks

I would recommend that your fiance speak to an immigration expert about your UK visa options.  I am using VisaLogic for my husband's spousal visa so he can join me in the UK.  They can speak to your fiance about the best options for your situation.

Here are their details;
VisaLogic
visalogic.net
0845 270 6810
+44 (0)1628 775 789
Email: [email protected]

It is not easy to get a UK visa and there are a lot of requirements that you must meet.  My husband and I started his visa process in May and his application was only complete and submitted at the beginning of Sept.  Now we have to wait for 3 months for a decision to be made on if he can join me in England or not.

Good Luck.

Hi everybody,

I have a concern. I have been living in Cairo for 5 years. Now , I am supposed to travel home at the end of November,and they renewed my Tour Visa just till that moment. My fiance and I want to marry, but can I get a stamp for a residence? They will not extend my visa, as they told me 5 years is enough  :sosad:
Can we marry on a tour visa?
Thanks to all for any help
BR
Arenee

Sure you can get married with this visa and after you married you can change the visa ss you married I think first you get three years and later after two times renew for7am not sure about how long but that is what I remember about the time of the visa

Hello.I am from Romania, 50 years old and i want to get married to an 41 years old Egyptian man.We get married in a mosque in Romania but we want to get married in official way also.I have to mention that my husband is also married in Egypt and have kids.If we are getting married in Egypt following the rules at the Min.of Justice , will this marriage be available in my country in order to live together in Romania?
Waiting for your answers ,
thank you

That's a tricky one I'm sure that if ur doing it all official his first wife has to agree to it I'm not familiar with the Muslim rules as I married a christian all I know is it a nightmare making everything official in Egypt make sure u have plenty of money and good luck

As far as I know he could get married to an egyptian lady as a second wife. But to get acceptance from your embassy he has to get a document stating that he is either unmarried or divorced. It won't work for you.
On a personal note, I wouldn't go for that marriage if I was in your place. It's not straight forward which is not a good start.

Best of luck for you

Caty

hello.thank for your answer.why do you expect is a trick?he is the one wants getting married officially not me.

thanks for advice.the 2 wife should be only egyptian?how we get married in the mosque?

Of course you could get married in the mosque. By islamic law he could get married to several women. But I guess Romania just as my homecountry Germany would allow to get married to ONE person only, that applies to both men and women ;) If you want - or in this case HE wants - an official international marriage he has to be either unmarried or divorced. Your " marriage" in the mosque may be recognized by you and him and the " Ummah" but not by the government of neither his nor your country.

As I mentioned before I would not go for this marriage if I was in your place. I may be totally wrong but the fact that he is younger than you and that he is married and has kids is not a good start for a marriage life together. The fact that he is younger may not bother you or him but in Egypt here its a clear NO NO and he should know that very well.

Regards

Caty

thank you for your mess.maybe you are right.but we are together for 5 years ,nice relation, and no one cares abt.age.anyway i will not stay /live in egypt.i have my life in romania.where are you living ?in germany or egypt?are you satisfied with your life?nice day

I am living in Cairo, Egypt and I am happily married to an egyptian. For me it was the right decision at the right time to move to Egypt. That was almost 6 years ago and I am looking forward for many more years :)
Keep in mind that if you marry an egyptian you marry the whole family ;) so his family should accept your relationship. Otherwise it may get very difficult later on, either you're living in Egypt or elsewhere.

Good luck to you!

Caty

hello sir
i can see ur post was long time, i think by now u got married to your Egyptian fiance , i would love to know about ur experience , because i am the same case, going to marry an american citizen and will convert to Islam here in Egypt, so it would be so helpful to know about ur experience mentioning the time is to important cuz he also dont have time and he will travel and i want to know because i need to travel with him but i have no visa unfortunately , hopeful and pray i can have it right after my marriage with my lovely husband !

Hi Caty,

Just to let you know that you are wrong when you say marriage to a younger man is NO NO in Egypt. I have been married for 8 years to my younger husband and I am completely accepted by his family and friends. I think it depends on the family as I also know of families who will not accept a foreign wife for their son, only an Egyptian wife. So I think you should deal with each family as an individual.family and not class all families as having the same views.  I love my Egyptian family and they love me and of that I have no doubt at all. So for all you women who are considering marriage to a younger man if you are confident he loves you for you then go for it and be happy

maniana.ro wrote:

thank you for your mess.maybe you are right.but we are together for 5 years ,nice relation, and no one cares abt.age.anyway i will not stay /live in egypt.i have my life in romania.where are you living ?in germany or egypt?are you satisfied with your life?nice day

Look I saw some of your messages here and all I can say as long as you are sure he loves you and he doesn't use you for money or so then I would say marry him but I have to tell you if he is married life will not be that easy as I don't think his wife or his kids will like that and if they do like you it's more to be careful with as it's not easy in Egypt for a woman to leave her husband for another woman I am Egyptian and I know that
if he wants it official that maybe because he knows it doesn't work so it's not his mistake at this time or he thinks it works so he can get a visa by marrying you as you say he is younger than you and married and have kids
sorry to say that but it sounds like he just wants to marry you for fun and his desire in you or he wants to claim something from this marriage
I know it's hard to know his realty but keep it in mind
sorry if my words was harsh but it worth to think of
if you are sure of his love take it as being careful and try to be more sure if he proved that he doesn't use you then it will make you love him more but if he failed at least you knew before that marriage
hope you all the best