Al ahyaa living

Can anyone give any tips to a potential property purchaser in al ahyaa as to day to day living. Shopping in particular seems to be,according to other sites I have read, a nightmare having to go on a major trip to find a supermarket. Hopefully somebody out there will put me right on this one.

Hi And welcome to the forum. I have sent you a private message with a few options. Kind regards, Tim

Hallo Johnnymalta,

The Al Ahyaa area is an area in full development and probably a good choice to buy a flat. There are a few supermarkets where you can find most essential things for day tot day living. One of the best places in the area is the Green Market, on the main road in Al Ahyaa, where you can find almost all kinds of food. In the area there is also a shopping center being built, but the finishing of it can take a few more months or years. Near Al Ahyaa there are also several grocery shops, particularly in Fayrouz, where you can buy cheap vegetables and fruits from locals.
By the way, I have a flat for sale in one of the Tiba projects in Al Ahyaa. If you are interested or if you want to visit the place, just let me know. It's a cosy, nicely furnished one bedroom flat at pool level.

Kind regards,
John

Hi Mahmoud, where are those places, are they in Al Ahyaa.

Hi John, Mahmoud is up on the a north Coast at Alexandria, where they have a real winter! Brrrrrr

Ok Mahmoud. I am looking at The Hurghada area, thanks

Hi there. Did you read what Sunzo said, do you know the places he mentioned. It sounds ok to me if they are within walking distance for your day to day stuff.
John

Yep, it is all up and coming in the area. New shops and cafés opening all the time. Supply and demand! It's all good.

So if we lived in say the Georgia residence we really could get along with what is local to us then travel further when needed

A lot of people live in this area, in the Tibas ver close to the Georgia building, and also in Georgia itself, people will live there permanently. There are several smaller shops at a walk away, and most things you will find indeed in the Green Market, cosy supermarket with very friendly staff. Also a fresh bakery is there, pharmacies, a new restaurant is opening, and some cofeeshops. But ofcourse its nice to go sometime to a large market like Senzo or Abu Ashara in the city. But in about 1 year a large new supermarket will also open in the Tiba Royal complex, at walking distance from the Georgia compound. I live in this area, so don't hesitate to contact us.n :top:
Erika

So Erica you are saying that for most day to day things we could survive locally,sounds good to me as that was a big concern. The last thing people want when they arrive is to be stuck without a drink or basic needs, thanks.
Looking forward to getting things moving along now.

we have apartment in Tiba Palace, we found all we needed locally and the bakery is great.

Hi and thanks for your comments. We are going out on March to buy a place by the Tibas and although people say you can get a taxi or bus to the town for shops etc it's nice to know that when you arrive you get things locally so you are not stuck till you venture into town. All info is helpfull, thanks. Johnnymalta

Hello  Johnny  in  Malta.  (By the way, I know Malta  very well and have family there).
(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls)
I am a British lady. If I can help you in anyway regarding properties in this area,please let me know.
Happy to  help

Tracy

There are three supermarkets, a bakery and a coffee shop  which however does not sell alcohol, but be wary in this cafe, you will find a lot of local  (wealthy) con men who sit around all day gossiping as they sip tea and puff on their Shsha pipes talking about ways to target gullible expats so be very wary.

One is a little con man called Nasser.  Now Nasser is by no means a poor man. He teaches golf in El Gouna has taught in Europe,  and owns a supermarket and a cafe, yet he will try to befriend you and scam you into 'renting out' your apartment to him' . He will ask to 'Manage' your property and introduce you to his 'lawyer' friend Abdo who will provide a one page 'contract' all written in Arabic.

Don't do it! beware, This is one of the Scams to watch out for in Al Ahiyaa.

Nasser is a cunning little man who befriended me in the local cafe. He asked me why I had not decided to rent out my Tiba apartment. I told him that I had not met any trustworthy tenants so far. Last time I visited he asked if I would purchase him 3 'golfing' t.shirts from Lillywhites. Considering these shirts cost in the region if £60 each and with no guarantee of being reimbursed I thought this man was taking the p. to say the least. He did not get the shirts.He also suggested I 'inest' in a block of apartments he was developing for local people to rent. No mention of a contract, but expecting naive Brit to be a money bags. Some of these scammers must think we were born yesterday. You listen and they hang themselves with their words.

This visit he kept suggesting that he 'manage' my property in my absence.  He introduced me to a local hustler who spoke not one word of English and who spent 24/7  in the coffee chop puffing away on a shisha pipe.

I rejected the 'offer' and Nasser then introduced me to his lawyer friend - Abdo  who claimed  to know another 'lawyer currently  working in Hurghada who was in need of an apartment. Next day Abdo arrived with his colleague to  to view my apartment.

The lawyer friend looked convincing enough, tall, impecibly dressed in his white suit. His 'wife' however looked more like a cleaner and was overly friendly planting a kiss on y cheek and asking when I was leaving and when I planned to return. The Shisha man hustler from the coffee shop was also in tow. I asked him to go away since he had nothing to do with this arrangement, the potential tenant was a friend of the lawyer Abdo.

The hustler refused to leave, stood his ground arguing with me in Arabic.  I shut the door on him. I began to feel this was all a scam, a  set up by Nasser since each of them were close friends of this man.

The lawyer said he liked the flat, the 'wife' kept asking when I planned to return to AlAhiya. No mention was made of a deposit or contract. I asked her how she planned to pay, she evaded this by saying she was about to go to hospital in Cairo and pointed to her stomach. She looked to be in the peak of health and could do with losing a stone or two, and the more she prattled on the more I could sense a scam. I showed them the door.

I told her that that her stomach problems were really not my concern, since there was not a hope in hell she or the 'lawyer' would get a key to my property without signing a contract and handing over at least a month's rent.

As expected I did not hear  a word from Abdo,  the 'lawyer'  friend nor the so called 'wife;

Just be careful, do not trust the so called 'professionals' of Al Ahyiaa. They are very greedy, not needy and will see you as prey to be scammed.  The locals who work on the sites constructing the many developments are hard working decent people who toil all day for a pittance and they will go out of their way to help you.

Be careful in that one coffee shop on the corner near the junction of Fairouz. You  will be approached by many a hustler, not least Nasser the Golfing Pro from El Gouna who owns a Coffee shop and a Supermarket but is greedy enough to prey on and scam a naive ex pat property owner.

You have been warned!.

Johnny you will find all you need in terms of food and furniture in Dahar and Sakalla. I managed to furnish my apartment from beautiful antique  hand crafted  sofas and armchairs which I had refurbished and covered in modern covers, they look fabulous, tradition with a modern look.

All you need can be found in Dahar and Sakalla, furniture, fabric, fresh food, tradesmen. Ignore the con men who hang out in the coffee shops of Fairouz or Al Ahiyaa scanning the cafe for gullible foreigners while they puff away all day on  their shisha pipes.

These men are not poor, nor needy, they are however very very  greedy. There are many local tradesmen who work long hours for a pittance on the many buildings currently being constructed. They are kindness itself, and will be more than happy to help fix a boiler, a leak, for a reasonable and fair price.

There are some very greedy local men in the Al Ahyaa area. One is Nasser the so called El Gouna 'golfing pro' who owns a supermarket and a not too popular coffee shop in Fairouz. Another is the silver haired uptight developer of a block called 3ISIS, he sees to be desperate as according to locals he has run out of money to complete his block so has turned to prey on a young English couple who are working very hard to open a local bar in his apartment block.

This nasty man has done all he can to obstruct their effort and has closed down the (popular) bar more than once, (the only venue in the area where you can buy a beer) his method is to hit them with extortionate bills which means they are paying for the a/c generator for the whole block. He then goes to the police and tries to have the jailed for 'non payment'. He brags about this in the local coffee shop to his pal Nasser. The pair of them are the biggest con artists in All Ahiya, and best avoided.

He has had the young Londoner jailed for a night, but is doing his best to have him incarcerated for longer.

If you are planning to  purchase a property there I would strongly recommend a good English speaking lawyer, and avoid the local con men who are desperate to prey on the gullible now that tourism is down , bear in mind they are very greedy, not needy like many of the genuine hard working locals.

We are constantly reading about available property as these forums tend to be full of salesmen on a mission to earn a commission.

However we do need to be just as aware of the potential scams and the local con men as well.

Good write up Karnak, thanks a lot.

stay away from ahyaa unless you want to drive back and forth few times a day each time about 11km.
Ahyaa is mainly for people that want to have an extra home to go to at the end of the week.

I know 10km is nothing for big cities, but once you get used to living in Hurghada, you would realize that 10km is a long distance, very much equivalent to 30-50km in big cities.

Imagine having to go that distance every time you need just about anything. Only few grocery (very tiny limited ones) are available around Ahyaa area.

very interesting people,especially about the con men,,possible dramas i would never have been aware of if i hadnt joined site,,thanks again,,my eyes are getting wider by the post !!  lol