How do short lettings work? please anyone

Hi,

another question please....

so we are wondering how it works, we were thinking to rent a short stay apartment for a month, whilst looking for a long let.
BUT we  are worried in case we find somewhere to rent (long let) and then lose our money on the short let apartment as we would have paid for the month!

does any one know of a hotel/apartment /company that allows you to stay and pay day by day or even weekly rather than paying for the full month all at once?

hope I am making sense :s

thanks

A

Any holiday let will  rent for a week or two but it will be expensive and difficult to get this time of the year. Hotels will rent for a day or week or month but again it will depend on time of year and availability.
Book  a week in a small hotel close to where you want to live, you can always extend your stay if you don't find what you want.

Terry

I would also recommend staying in a hotel for a week and then extending your stay if necessary. One month seems to be a long time to find an apartment, but it depends on what you are looking for and how many agents you are willing to contact. I found my apartment in just 2 days, but then I didn't have many demands. But I do think you should find something within a week or two.

When I went to Malta last week to look for an apartment, I stayed in Hotel Roma in Sliema because it was the cheapest hotel I could find when I booked it. It is very central, but the standards are not high. As I spent most of the days outside it didn't matter, and the staff was very nice. I'm sure there are even cheaper places to stay, but that was the cheapest I found and it was perfect for me.

Good luck with finding an apartment! :)

okay thankyou guys :)

Hi Adalai,

Here in Malta a short let is categorised by owners and agents alike as to be less than a six month period. However renting agreements usually can be very flexible and depend mainly on different owners' policies.

My suggestion is to try and find a short term rental property located outside Sliema/St. Julians/Swieqi area, where owners are much more flexible as regards letting contract terms and prices are much lower. Getting around the islands by public transport or rental car is very quick and easy, so you can view many properties in a short period of time. 

Good luck with your search!

public transport quick ??????

I agree that it might be not so quick in central areas. However one can easily notice the efficiency of public transport services in the north and south areas, especially in Gozo. In addition to this, most of the problems public transport recently faced were caused by the previous service provider's poor management. The current service provider is proving to be much more reliable and effective.

ddanas wrote:

I agree that it might be not so quick in central areas. However one can easily notice the efficiency of public transport services in the north and south areas, especially in Gozo. In addition to this, most of the problems public transport recently faced were caused by the previous service provider's poor management. The current service provider is proving to be much more reliable and effective.

I believe that it is unfortunate that this is to be run by a Spanish company rather than remain in TM's hands. I think it will all end in tears; again.
Also have to say, again, that service on Gozo is superb.