Opening a bank account in Cuba

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Cuba ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Cuba ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

I was born in Cuba, my family left soon after the revolution of 1959 but my aunt which is elderly would like to live the rest of her years back in Cuba. I am her guardian and given the changes that are taking place there I would not mind going with her and also scout for business opportunities. I need information about banking, mortgages, car loans etc. if they can take my aunts income and the rental income of our home here to qualify I know the banking system there is changing  but I do not have details.

Hello - I would like detail for opening a bank account in Cuba
I have a Cuban passport - are there any other document I need to bring
I have dual nationality  -  I have an ID card

Does Cuba recognise dual nationality? I think not.

It does not.

I was well aware of the Cuban position hence my rhetorical question. It was because 25031970 claimed that she has dual citizenship and should be aware of her actual position.

I don't have the answer mainly because I have never been able to talk to the Cuban consulate via phone or email as they are impossible to reach ... I have walked in to many banks there and have all said no but yet the one of the requirements to get permanent residence is to deposit min. 5000.00 CUC ..I only one friend from Canada who has account there without residence but he did back in 2007 so perhaps hes grandfathered in... I sure would like to do this so any help much appreciated ..

I am not much help as my wife has a bank account in Cuba into which I transfer funds, but she is a Cuban citizen. I am to go home in early October and will return to Canada in mid-November. Whlle there in Cuba I shall enquire about foreigners holding accounts because it is an interesting question. My gut feel is that even if a foreigner can hold an account they will have to have a permanent address in Cuba. But obviously 25031970 requires an answer sooner. Currently there is also the question of two currencies wih the rumour being that the Cuban Convertible is to cease in December. So it is possible that if one had an account holding CUC, the bank might only credit them as pesos at the exchange rate of 24 pesos + 1 CUC. When purchased they will have cast 25 pesos - so a potential loss of 4%.
I have tried in the past many times to contact the Cuban Consulate in Toronto by 'phone but have always found it necessary to write. I have however on three occasions had the courtesy of calls from them.

Hi, I just got information that it is no longer required to have a min of $5,000 cuc. You do need to show prove of a renter or owner of a home and how you are going to make income. The paper work to be residents take about 2 to 6 months. If you come from Canada, I think you can get up to 6 month visa but if you are like me from USA, up to 60 days, but than I just go and come back in the same day to cancun (cheaper) get 60 days more. We are moving to Cuba by 2016, we are updated.