PERMANENT RESIDENCE

Hi All,
I applied for Permanent Resident , in South Africa and my Application was approved. So I went to collect it today
I was given only the certificate and no, sticker in the passport as it use to be.
I do lot of travelling,
Anyone have  an idea how it works with the new Law, in terms of sticker in the passport and certificate?

You need to travel with your certificate. Also - you must apply for SA ID - apparently you have 3 months to do that (of which I was never informed...)
By the way - your traffic register issued to your temporary residency may not be valid to register any new vehicles. You will have to apply for new one - with you ID... So don't write off your car ;-)

Hi,
I am new here. I am a german living for more than 9 years in South Africa and married to a South African for nearly 7 years.
I now want to apply for permanent residence and filled in all the documents at the vfs global website,got all the documents (police clearance,medical,bank...)
When I printed out the form, I saw that vfs global says that I need to go to an interview at Home Affairs? Is that so? How do I do that? Do I need an appointment?
My vfs global appointment is thursday, and I want to have all documentation. Can someone advise me what to do or how to proceed. I phoned HA and VFS Global,but they cannot give me a straight answer.

Hi there,
I wonder if someone could help me. I am a Doctor currently in SA on an exceptional skills visa, I have been married to my SA wife for over 5 years now so am going to apply for permanent residence on the basis of my spouse. As I am applying through the marriage route, do I still need to get my qualifications verified by the SAQA (especially as I had to get them verified previously by the EICS to get my exceptional skills visa!)??
Many thanks

Peter

Hi,
As far as l kw the permanent residence law no,you do not need to submit your qualifications.  You just need to prove that you are related to the person who is a citizen or permanent residence holder. In this case your marriage certificate  is needed and you should have been married  for 5 years or more.

The new law states that you need only 2 years of marriage but please note that the Immigration Act still states 5 years. Therefore it is still a grey area and although they might accept the application, it might not be approved.

Hi there,

How long does it take( after submitting application) for South African permanent residence to come out with the new VFS in place?
Thanks in advance

Vdzingirai, I don't think anyone can answer that as the system has been put in place recently and no-one knows how it will work out...

Sa11y,l am pretty sure someone can answer me ,its not too soon. I submitted an application for a quota work permit on the 3rd of September 2014.VFS gave me a reference number to track the application. They told me processing time is 4 to 6 weeks and an email will be sent to me to collect the result.  On the 11th of September 2014 VFS sent me an email that my result was ready for collection. I collected my result on that same day and it turned out my application was successful. My work permit came out after 8 days, actually to be exact it came out after 6 working days.

Let's hope that you are right ;-)
But I'd be very surprised if they managed to reduce processing time from 1.5 - 2 years (prior to VFS) to 6 weeks...
Anyway - congratulations on WP, hopefully they managed to change something for better this time ;-)

VFS has instructions from Home Affairs to quote 4-6 weeks (some say 6-8 weeks). Nevertheless, a backlog still exists and this timeframe is not to be depend upon.

dmaloba wrote:

Hi All,
I applied for Permanent Resident , in South Africa and my Application was approved. So I went to collect it today
I was given only the certificate and no, sticker in the passport as it use to be.
I do lot of travelling,
Anyone have  an idea how it works with the new Law, in terms of sticker in the passport and certificate?

That is correct, the new certificate is cumbersome and needs to be carried with you at all times in your passport. Simply staple it in there.

dmaloba congratulation on receiving your PRP, how long did you wait? my husband is waiting 7 months now i am having a nightmare trying to get any status update on my husbands PRP from home affairs and from the embassy.

it would be really helpful if you could give me the email adresses and contact numbers of the people you called for an update. and everyone on this forum if you dont mind sharing your contact with me and all others that are in a similar situation as me.

Dear Zulfies,

I have also been having a hard time getting an update on PR application. I applied in Johannesburg in May 2014.
I have tried the regional office, the customer service centre and many numbers to no avail.
I was told by  the DG's office to get in touch with a Ms Mongane to get an update. Her email add is [email protected]

Hi Zulfies,

I came across your post and I wanted to find out if your husband got his PRP and how long it took overall. I have been waiting for my PRP for 11 months and still no joy.

Thank you,

Jules