Moving to Iceland from Hong Kong

My partner and I are so fed up with the lifestyle in Hong Kong, e.g. polluted air, overcrowded streets, pricey real estate and kids are being pushed to nursery once they are born that we definitely don't want to have a baby in Hong Kong...

We are planning to move to a certain European country, ideally Iceland as we are so fond of it after visiting there.  In five years, we would bring around USD$500,000 to Iceland to start a guesthouse and/or small farm.  We are just wondering if we can move to Iceland by this way, here is some background of my partner and I.

I, turning 30 soon, work in the local government as a translator (BA in Translation and Interpretation in English/Mandarin/Cantonese, currently learning Spanish) and my partner, in his mid-30s, works in local disciplinary force as a dog handler (he is a high school graduate who can speak plain English, which is sufficient for him to travel to some tens countries over the years).  We are holders of British National (Overseas) passport as Hong Kong was a former British colony.  I plan to study or even teach Chinese language in Iceland, but I'm not sure if Icelandic is a must for getting in one of the universities.

We really hope that the dream could come true, and any advice from you guys are greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance ^^

there are so many unknown features to your situation that I'm not really sure what info you need. Have you checked the immigration website at utl.is yet? I don't know if your overseas passports count as an EEA member state or not.

Regarding jobs for you, my first thought is of course the Chinese embassy might have ideas. As for universities, there are two main ones in Reykjavik, University of Iceland, and Reykjavik University. I suggest you browse both websites.

Finding work for him might be a bit more challenging, although I certainly have seen dogs at work in the airport as drug sniffers. Is that what you mean by disciplinary force dog handling?

Hi ECS,
Thanks for your reply.  Actually we are longing for starting a guesthouse or small farm with our savings, we are going to study the immigration website closely.
It's indeed a very bold idea, I understand that it won't be easy ^^
I hope I can get some ideas of everyday life in Iceland from your blog too.

there isn't a visa for investors or entrepreneurs, so if your British overseas passports don't count as EEA, you will need to find other means of getting your foot in the door. This can mean a sponsored position or a study visa, since I assume neither of you are planning to marry an Icelander just to be able to reside in the country!

I actually don't live in Iceland anymore, but I visit regularly. My blog still has lots of information though :)

Thanks for your reply again ^^

Does anyone here know if there is any restriction against non-Icelandic people on buying property?

Mockingbird wrote:

Thanks for your reply again ^^

Does anyone here know if there is any restriction against non-Icelandic people on buying property?

as long as you are a resident in Iceland, you should be able to purchase property, although I'm not sure what the situation would be regarding loans. The government did change the laws last year to restrict non residents from purchasing, but since you are considering moving there, it should not be an issue for you.

more on that here: http://grapevine.is/news/2013/05/03/ice … ty-rights/

Hello Mockingbird,

Please let me know if you are able to migrate to Iceland one day. Coming from Singapore, I understand perfectly what you mean about Hong Kong. It is also my dream to move to Iceland.

I did quit my job to work in Iceland for 3 months and enjoyed every moment of it.

It might be possible if you are starting a business. Well, if you ever start a guesthouse, I would love to come work for you!

:D