Sodium Hydroxide (lye) for soap making

I just become an member.

Could you tell me where I can buy Sodium Hydroxide (lye) for soap making in Cambodia?

I would like to make own soap in Cambodia since I have sensitive skin.

Thanks

Momo

[Moderated]

[Moderated]

Be careful about what you are asking for. Sodium hyddroxide is extremely caustic and probably would be the harshest thing in beauty care. It is used for chemical relaxors in hair services. I would not put that on my face. Buy a harsh chemical free shampoo or soap, you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

rccatfish23 wrote:

Be careful about what you are asking for. Sodium hyddroxide is extremely caustic and probably would be the harshest thing in beauty care. It is used for chemical relaxors in hair services. I would not put that on my face. Buy a harsh chemical free shampoo or soap, you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

take it easy, man, im sure she knows what she is doing. although NaOH sounds scary, u have no choice but to use it if u want to make soap. soap can be obtained only if u mix a base with an acid - NaOH is the base and an oil is usually used as acid. Palm, cocoa, coconut oil are the most common. all soap u have used and your parents/grandparents/ancestors used, was made using NaOH.

just to make sure all will go ok, i will list the common advices: have some vinegar nearby, ready to use, in case u spill NaOH somewhere or u simply want to clean the utensils; always pour NaOH into the water/tea/whatever u use, not the opposite as an explosion may happen; wear some protection glasses/gloves; do the operation in an open or at least semi-open space (windows open); u may want to keep the water/tea/whatever u use jar sinked in a cold water bowl - the increase in temperature due to chemical reaction will be significant when NaOH will be added.

good luck and let us know the outcome! (in 4 weeks time i guess...)

p.s. no clue where to buy lye lol, sorry! will try find out and let u know.

Hi Momo, I am also looking for sodium hydroxide.  Were you able to source any in Phnom Penh?  I am starting a social enterprise with a community in Siem Reap in June this year.  One contact of mine bought some from a plumbing company.  Can you let me know?  Thanks, Louise

I too am looking for sodium hydroxide for soap making. Good luck.  I'll post results if successful.

Hello Friends,
Could you please tell where can I buy Lye and soap making supplies in Phnom Penh. I am interested in making soap and help Ladies in the rural area in Kampong Thom lean how to make soaps.

Greetings,

I am also looking for sodium hydroxide for the soap making experiment for a community project in Cambodia.

Could anyone of us here let me know if you can find the place to buy this chemical?

With regards,
Ricardo

Thangdy Ricardo wrote:

Greetings,

I am also looking for sodium hydroxide for the soap making experiment for a community project in Cambodia.

Could anyone of us here let me know if you can find the place to buy this chemical?

With regards,
Ricardo

Hello Ricardo,

Never found in Cambodia but probably exist.

Easy to find in Trat, Thailand, in the fishing and boat repair shops around the central old market. 1,50$/kg.

Cheers,
Marcelo