High Net Worth Individual

Hi,

I am looking into the most tax efficient way for my husband to continue working for a Uk company, but for us to live in Malta.

Under the HNWI do we need to rent a property for at least 20k euros a year, pay in 20k eur a year plus 2,5k eur per dependent into a Maltese bank?

Also will he need to pay 6k eur application fee, and pay 4.5k towards his first tax bill (kept on account)?
If we meet these requirements, he then just pays 15% tax on income that he brings into the UK?

Are there any other requirements for this route? Also would there be another alternative?

Thanks
Claire

I can only say that you must be earning a lot of money to reside here under that scheme. It is possible to live and work from here without subscribing to that and not have to meet any minimum rent agreements etc and the tax paid is only on money that is remitted to Malta.
I have no doubt that others, more experienced in these matters will advise you.

There is a minimum tax to be paid, which might be the 20K you mention, but hasn't the scheme been replaced by the new global residence programme ?

The HNWI scheme was a complete flop, seen as too expensive - I think only around 10 people applied ! It included a 500,000 bond you had to pay, which has been scrapped in the new scheme

this is the new scheme
http://www.ird.gov.mt/regulations/grp.aspx

well i am under the hnwi and as EU-citizen it can be quite beneficial, espacially when you want to use double tax treaties.

@claire: just google "hnwi tax scheme" and you will find plenty of information. as far as i remember i paid the 6k and it was gone for processing.

you need to pay a min. tax of 20k that is correct but this is being paid to the government in 3 parts (June, August and some other month). i am on hnwi since beginning of 2013 and havent paid a dime in taxes yet, the first ones are due in april this year.

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/business/b … p-20131112

"In late June [2013], the government launched the Global Residence Programme to replace the HNWI programme. "

the Malta Global Residence Programme is for non-EU afaik. So it doesnt apply to UK ppl.

GRP is open to anyone, but aimed at non EU primarily

edit - no I'm wrong, the GRP is only for non-EU

I'm here on the HNWI as well. I was recently informed by KPMG that they are working on a new scheme, like the Global Residence Scheme, but than for EU citizens.
Should be announced within weeks. The financial thresholds will be lower and the current HNWI holders will be grandfathered into it.

Nice to know :) wanted to change anyways to another scheme.

Thanks everyone, It will be interesting to see what the new scheme looks like.

Have a great weekend
Claire

Took a bit longer, but it seems like this will be the new scheme:

Malta Residence Program