Why are people charging so much for rooms ??

Why are people charging so much for rooms ??

When I lived there in 2012 I was paying 230 for a 2 bedroom apartment. Not luxury but not basic either. If I still had that i'd only be asking 115 for the room(which had two single beds) per month,but people on here are asking 120 for a top bunk!

I dont get it....

its because its the summer and they can ,

Summer or Winter,it doesnt change their rent. They are scamming

in summer time the tourists will pay to stay so people put their rents up to get as much as possible , this isnt scamming this is supply and demand - if people didnt pay they couldnt charge so much

because they can.......and there is a stready supply of new peopel who wil pay.

Simple economics. As long as people are willing to pay then the prices will be so.

I notice the same thing. I am looking to stay in a hostel when I get to Malta, the prices in September are about twice as high as in October.
For example, one of the hostels charges 16 euro a night in September, no special prices. In October they have a long term stay price of 80 euro a week or 240 per month.
They will be booked out anyway, no matter what they charge. For a lot of backpackers 16 euro is not much...

This is not just applicable to Malta. It is the same the whole world over and in many if not all cases where a demand is being generated. For example, airlines charge highest when demand is highest. Altruism and business do not make good bedfellows.

It is offcourse to be expected in a tourist season, you are right redmilk that this is not just for Malta :-)

Very poor from people. Money making thoughts instead of helping people....

SunshineLover2011 wrote:

Business is business. One cannot live on bread alone.
It is very naive to believe otherwise unless one lives in a kibbutz.

or prison.....

toonarmy9752 wrote:

or prison.....

:top: Very droll.

How's Paphos, used to love it there, especially Old Paphos. Been around the Akamas yet?
Cyprus is a beautiful country and I held a dream of retiring there in the Troodos Mountains.
Used to spend a lot of time up there.

had to re- read the opener Red - thought it said troll...lol

yes all good not done much of that just yet as car has been delayed..- but we are settled in - and njoying things here - we got some fab neighbours too who do al sorts for us until we get it.... even found a major supermarket who are so polite its beyond belief - a far cry from our experiences in Malta = they even ferry us home and carry all our stuff into our kitchen - for free...

its very hot and cant wait to get out and about - we are a little out in the sticks which isnt a bad thing but kinda temporarily limiting.

But back on topic accommodation here is so much cheaper  - mainly due to owners unable to sell, and are renting at sily prices to get some income and revenue back... overall a mixed bag but so clean and green

Glad to read that Toon. You're causing many great memories to come to mind.  :top:

a few very similar issues here too - hunting  - regsitration to name two lol  - so bottom line  - swapped one rock for a bigger rock...lol albeit in my opinion a much cleaner one

SunshineLover2011 wrote:

Rooms, Apartments, Car Rental all have a market value - its the same anywhere in  the world and Why should Malta be different?