Dog Leash Laws In Puerto Rico?

Does anyone know the basic dog lease laws in Puerto Rico?

Or specifically what they are in the Dorado Beach area?

Is it illegal for your dogs to be off-leash?  On the beach?

Thank you!

John, as far as I know there are no dog leash laws but having said that, municipalities may have their own ordinances.
Even if there were laws I doubt if they would be enforced - this is Puerto Rico.

There are a lot of stray dogs and cats on the island and you'll find that the attitude of many locals towards pets is different from what you're used to.

The best advice would be to use common sense and only let your dog run free if nobody is bothered and always clean up after it. :)

Good advice Gary. I'm not even sure if they know what a "leash" is in Puerto Rico. If you let your dog run free, even if it stays around the house there are a number problems that could arise. The island is rampant with strays and a lot of them carry diseases, mostly of the skin variety. Different types of mange, things like that. Quite a few parasites around too. Sooner or later your dog will come in contact with some strays and may pick up something nasty. The other thing is that it is dangerous. Islanders don't look at dogs the same way we do. If your neighbor doesn't like your dog he will have no problem poisoning it and thinking nothing of it. I've seen people try to run over dogs on purpose. Some places they use strays for target practice at night. Or somebody in the neighborhood might call the municipality to have the dog picked up to be euthanized. Keep your dog close at all times. I buried 5 of them just from my tiny neighborhood in the course of one year. But yeah, if you take your dog to the beach, make sure you have some plastic bags with you for clean up.

There are probably laws or at least municipal ordinances regarding leashes, but this being PR, no one will follow them anyway!

The laws regarding dogs are very lax.  I have rescued several and brought them up to New York.  I have kept two, which now are with me in NY, but are moving back to PR with me.  They have gotten used to walking on a lead in NY, but they both are still  on the lookout to hunt  iguanas.   In addition to the rabies vaccination, please make sure your dog is protected from heartworm, which is very common. Also, the stray dogs often develop a skin disease, but this can be treated.

Hi Gregg K.

So sorry to read about the loss of your five dogs in Puerto Rico.
If you don't mind, could you tell us how they passed?

One was poisoned by a neighbor(s), probably the same people that did in the 10 puppies as soon as they were born by the dog I have now. One was run over by a neighbor. One was run over on the highway, and one died of leptosporosis ( a disease you get from coming in contact with rat urine). And another one I suspect got into some anti-freeze at the body shop at the end of the street. As for the many other puppies these dogs had, most of them just didn't show up anymore. Never knew what happened to them. I have a pretty good idea though. When it comes to animals, a lot of people in PR can be pretty heartless and cruel.

Dear Gregg K.
I am genuinely sorry to read about such tragic & painful deaths for the dogs.  :(

With much compassion for everyone involved, they probably didn't have to die that way.

When the entire community and the government of PR finally agree and decide that the painful deaths of dogs, (and often their painful "stray" or "wild" lives),  can simply be avoided, this will provide sorely needed relief, and increase the happiness of living there.

This CAN happen.
While we are in Puerto Rico, I will definitely do my part to help make this happen.

~~~~The next bit of info is slightly "off-topic" but please bear with me ~~~~

Here is just one example of how much care and effort people can put into helping even wild animals. Many in Puerto Rico are probably already doing similar actions on behalf of pets and wildlife there too.

Just today, and out for a walk, I found a live, wiggling, healthy, flea-infested baby squirrel in my neighbor's driveway. A feral or wild cat was sitting next to it, getting ready to kill and eat it. I calmly shooed the cat away, The parents and the baby squirrel's nest were no-where to be heard or found. Fortunately, we have a well-organized and well-funded system that helps save the lives of even wild squirrels here. 

I gently pushed the baby into a small black plastic plant pot, and called the local wildlife rehabilitation center. I gave them a heads up that I was bringing this baby in. I learned from the receptionist that this is the Fall season (the other one is in the Spring) when many baby squirrels can become lost or abandoned.

I was also told that there was room and resources for 60 baby squirrels at this center. The baby I brought in was #53. I asked about and learned that baby squirrels that are brought in, when the 60 limit is reached, are gently dosed with a drug that painlessly kills their bodies. This information is openly given to anyone who brings in a baby squirrel when the 60 limit is reached.

When I dropped this baby squirrel off, she or he was placed inside a warm incubator. She or he will be spritzed with a flea killer, (squirrel parents will groom for fleas on their babies), and she or he will be hand-fed 1x a day. Sounds good to me.

When the baby is old enough, it will be released into a fenced-in forest out back, with the other 'orphaned' squirrels. When even older it will be taken to released into a forested and infrequently  human-visited park, near where I found it. I'll receive a note in the mail about what happens to the squirrel.

I could have had the baby checked over and then brought it back to the neighborhood, but because the feral cat probably bit the baby, this could led to a serious and painful infection. Because of this possibility, I was told by the center that the baby had to stay there, and could not be returned by me, to help the parents find their lost child.

This is just one example of how vulnerable animals can be and are cared for.   :)

THIS GENIUS MACHINE FEEDS STRAY DOGS and CATS IN EXCHANGE FOR RECYCLED BOTTLES

http://www.wherecoolthingshappen.com/th … d-bottles/

Im reading about these animals and their lack of care or caring.  Is there anyone else on this forum who thinks that this is unacceptable and surely something should be done.

JaniceT wrote:

Im reading about these animals and their lack of care or caring.  Is there anyone else on this forum who thinks that this is unacceptable and surely something should be done.

Should or should not does not make a difference, there are laws but are not strongly enforced.

Im thinking about the squirrels, if they only have space for 60, why does no one simply go build a few more.  Its just the way we do things here back home and would love to help out with these sort of projects in PR.  As for the dogs.... will have to come see for myself

Squirrels? Puerto Rico does not have Squirrels...

Well...I have seen a few very squirrelly drivers here in PR!  But not the four legged variety.   :lol: