Moving from USA to teach Biology at NIS in Kazakhstan

If you are flying AS you have 20kg on the luggage in hold plus 7kg for hand luggage and may be a bit more for the "handbag" as well. So my advice would be if you don't need any heavy winter items now (after checking the local weather statistics) , leave them until after Xmas break to take them over.

I think it looks like I will need to bring some of them now as it can get to -10/ -15 in Pavlodar :-(

Scrappydoo, 

My apt is clean and nice.  You need to bring bath towels, hand towel, washcloth, and dish cloth.  I brought 2, 1, 1, 1.
I also brought from home a thin quilt, sheet set, and pillow so I would be comfortable.  The bed had a fitted sheet, cover, and pillow.  You can wash and use theirs, but mine make me a bit more comfortable.   In the apt there is a washing machine, drying rack, iron and ironing board.  DId you get an electrical adapter?  Is so, carry it your bag so your phone won't die in transit, like mine.  I had a couple but I packed them in my checked baggage.  DUH! 

If you can, exchange some money to KZ before arriving so you have some in your hand to spend at the store for water and such right away.  My flights kept me running between flights, so I didn't stop and regret it now. 

I got in this morning and I was allowed most of the day to rest and unpack.  I went to school for a few hours, and they ran me to exchange money and get a SIM. 

I'm not sure in your city, but here they walk everywhere!  I think I will wear tennis shoes everywhere, then change into my dress shows at school. 

Best of Luck! 

Patsy

Hi Patsy, thanks for this information. It's sounds like you got a lot of luggage allowance! Did you pack your winter coat? The linens information is really useful as I hadn't thought about dishcloths etc.  I have a couple of hour between flights so will get some KZ exchanged then.  Did younhave to reclaim your baggage at each flight? Sorry for all these questions. I am flying into Astana, then to Alamaty then to Pavlodar. X

Scrappy:  The checked bags follow your schedule and once you check them you won't see them again until you reach your last destination.  I had two checked bags, paid for one, and both made it successfully through three different airlines.  I've been round about in Oskemen today and you can purchase most anything here.  The staff of NIS have been super helpful with everything, getting a SIM card, exchanging money.  Today we passport translation and went to the tax place for a TAX ID.  Everything is going pretty well and I really like it here!

"The checked bags follow your schedule and once you check them you won't see them again until you reach your last destination."

Hmm, this is not always strictly correct once you enter Kazakhstan unless you are flying Air Astana (or another airline) all the way to your final destination in Kazakhstan.

If you are flying one airline to Astana, then changing to Air Astana there, you may need to collect your checked baggage from the carousel.

For instance, I fly from Sydney (Australia) to Almaty or Astana via Etihad, collect my baggage then have to spend overnight in a hotel before I can take my flight to Ust-Kamenogorsk the next day on Air Astana.

When you check-in, make sure that you request that your baggage is checked-in all the way to your final destination and be sure to keep the little baggage tickets they give you. If it is not checked in all the way to Pavlodar, you will need to retrieve it from the carousel at either Almaty or Astana.

"We don't want you looking like a "lobsters" before you settle down do we ..."

Even more concerning is that they avoid developing melanoma or other skin cancers which are on the rise here because people don't believe in covering up ...

My wife is diagnosing quite a number each week ...

Suncreams are available from the supermarkets such as Metro and you should be looking at SPF +30 and reapplying it regularly, not putting it on in the morning and thinking that it will do you for the day ...

"Everything is going pretty well and I really like it here!"

Glad that you've arrived safely Patsy. Is your apartment in КШТ (cash a tear) near the school or in some other area? It should take about a week for you to receive your IIN (tax number) unless they have become more efficient recently.

I'm not sure about walking to the city or to Metro if you are in КШТ, it is probably better to take bus 60, 46 from Utepov  or bus 17 from Komsomolskaya (depending upon where you wish to go in the city).

Walking along the main roads, even on the footpaths, especially in winter is a pursuit not recommended, even in summer when it is not muddy, cars, trucks, buses may not always be mindful of pedestrians.

Hi Ladies,
Please don't get carried away by bring the kitchen sinks as well ;-)
Unless you want to pay for the extra weights/bags you should consider buying the none essential daily item locally, which is available at most supermarkets/hypermarkets here. Dishcloth certainly not something you need to worry about taking over here.
Transit - If you are with AS ask them to put on a Priority/Speedy transit tag/sticker on your hold luggage and you don't need to collect it. come out to the main terminate and turn right up the escalator and turn left is the domestic flights departure entrance. If you need to exchange money at the airport it is best done before entering the departure area.

Power Adapters - Euro two pins adapters and a UK standard 4 gangs extension lead/block would come in handy for any UK 3 pins plugs electrical items that you are bring. Laptop leads, you may be able to get a 2 pin lead to use with the transformer instead of the adapter. Is up to you.

Skin care - Joking aside the sun here are very strong in the summer and the winter can be very bitter for your skin. So sun cream for summer and body lotions and lip balm are useful. Again these are available her to buy, so no need to bring unless you have very sensitive skin needs.

Have fun and enjoy the Kazkhstan "experience" and their "warm" welcome.

When you mean checked bag do you mean a proper luggage? Does it mean I can take two and pay for one? Approx what extra charges did this incur?

Sounds like you are settling really well. I am getting ready for the last bit of packing and now I have been nominated for the ice bucket challenge so need to sort that out as well. LOL. They said despite leaving I was nOT going to get away with it!   X

Thanks for your clarification on baggage issues, NM.

"Does it mean I can take two and pay for one? Approx what extra charges did this incur?"

Charges for overweight luggage on Air Astana on domestic flights is quite cheap, but unless you have a relatively high level on the frequent flyer scale (Gold or higher) or flying business class in the international airline bringing you to Kazakhstan, it can be quite expensive.

For instance, on Etihad from Sydney to Almaty/Astana, every excess kilogramme is charged at US$80 (I can take up to 55kg in economy because my Etihad FF status is the highest), but once I get to Almaty/Astana and change to Air Astana, it drops to US$2.60 per kg (this varies only slightly, perhaps US$0.50) depending upon where your departure airport is and to which airport in Kazakhstan you are flying to.

There is also a difference about how baggage allowance is calculated depending on which country you are coming from. For instance, from North America (Canada and USA) and Brazil it works on the number of pieces, whereas in the rest of the world (mostly), it works on weight.

This is why (most likely), Patsy was able to bring two pieces for the price of one, because her baggage allowances (being from North America) allowed for two pieces (probably with a maximum weight per piece predicated on what class she flew).

But to echo Jamie's point, you really do not need to bring such items as tea towels or dishcloths, unless they are of particular significance to you.

Cheers, Peter

Thank you for your advice again Peter!  I guess we all have the minimum of things we must have in our brain.  I'm glad I brought a towel so I could shower without shopping first!  You are right, a dish towel would be silly to bring, because once they are washed they are clean and you just have to wait for them to dry.  There are stores with lots of items available, so if I'm missing something, it will be quite easy to pick one up!  I was a bit surprised at the number of shops within close proximity and bus range. 

Thanks again!  Patsy

I am curious about the process of:

*getting the ticket purchase repaid,
*getting the 1000$ moving in allowance for the first 90 days, and
*if a teacher with a late start has a prorated salary (or is it a full salary, just a late start date with the one-year contract starting at a different time than the beginning of the school year).

Those are my questions to anyone knowledgeable to answer one or all of them.

I also want to congratulate those who have arrived. Good luck with your teaching and with your experience in a new country. I also want to thank those who are sharing their information. It is extremely valuable for those new to the situation.