Has anyone aired a Great Dane to Costa Rica before??

Me and my husband are thinking about moving to Costa Rica in a couple of years, we have 3 dogs but 1 of them is a Great Dane and is around 115lbs I'm concerned if the airlines will take a animal this big? Has anyone aired a Great Dane to Costa Rica before?? Please help me figure this out I also have a Weimaranier and a Italian Greyhound, THANK YOU DONNA

Personally I'd never bring a dog to Costa Rica, based on the experiences people I know have had.  A lot also depends on where you plan to live in Costa Rica.  If it's up in the mountains the dog can easily be picked off by a poisonous snake "like one dog I knew of", as the dog had no knowledge of snakes and walked right up to it.  The other thing is the astronomical costs of shipping any dog to Costa Rica, and the legal stuff involved.  Finding the nutritious dog food your dog is accustomed to eating might also be a problem.  We just took in a Costa Rican dog that has knowledge on how to survive here, and he knows his duty as a guard dog.  The one thing I will say to anyone who brings a dog to Costa Rica, and that is; "don't moan if it dies from a snake bite or poisoning etc.", as you knew the risks of brining that dog into a tropical environment which was never meant for dogs to live in.  If you love the dog give it to a relative.

Bringing a Great Dane will require you to check into which airlines will transport them. It will be a costly affair to bring it as 'cargo' since then a broker will be involved. The others may be able to be transported as 'excess baggage, but for the 3 of them, expect to pay transportation costs in the $1000's.
Suggest you search this forum for other posts on transporting pets.
There are Great Danes here, as well as many other large breeds but please take into consideration that not all like the climate that you want.

I brought two great danes to costa rica. I do not think dogs are at high risk here if you take care of them. I have friends who have old dogs here! It was expensive to bring down my great dane but it was worth it because we love them and they are so happy here. We ended up having to use an animal transport company which cost extra but we couldn't arrange the flights ourselves because they had to take more than one airline which made it complicated. Only certain aircraft can accommodate them Also we had to extend their XXL crates to make them tall enough! Good luck!

You have to watch out for snakes unless you are living 'in town'....no matter how much you take care of your pets.  They are out there....
And constantly watch out for ticks.
Especially important if you live where the temperature is hotter than they are used to, is to make sure to provide somewhere for them to cool off, be it a kiddies pool or  a nearby river.

I'm going to assume that you mean well but totally disagree with your advice.  We know people with dogs in Costa Rica and they don't have issues.  Since we live in Louisiana, we find it funny when people talk about snakes, spiders, tropical climates, heavy rains, etc., as if it's some exotic thing.  It isn't exotic at all to us; just everyday stuff.  A few years ago our dogs cornered a 5' rattlesnake next to our back porch (IN town) and attacked it.  Three of our dogs went to the hospital where the vet told us dogs aren't usually killed by snakebites like people are.  All of ours lived.  So take your dogs, learn what they need, and be assured that food and medicine are both available at the feed stores (ferrerias) in larger towns. 

As for flying your dogs, we think two of ours are too big too fly so we are considering hiring a transport van to drive them down.  It's not nearly as expensive.  We have the information if anybody is interested.

Sorry, but just because snakes, is just 'everyday stuff' to you, it doesn't mean that it is so, for everyone else. Many who move here may have  never seen a snake up close, and have to get their books out to find out what species it is and whether it could cause a problem for anyone.
We have lived here for many years and have seen dogs die from snakebites, killed by 'big cats' and Cane toads. There are not just rattlesnakes out there.
Ticks are also problematic in many areas, especially during the dry season, and so Erlichiosis while not common, is not unknown.
All I was saying that it is important to realize that for some dogs moving them from a cool climate may require extra vigilance on their care, until they too, are acclimatized. In the Central Valley this may not be an issue but on the coast or in the interior where it is 90+ every day, it is.

no it would be by the beach near dominical we are going to visit first next year and then decide if we want to move there but I have to take my dogs there like family thank you for your feed back

I live in Las Vegas, Nv my dogs are use to the heat, we would be living near dominical by the beach so would it be good there for my 3 dogs

where are u living now that u can drive youre pets to Costa Rica?? I would not be able to do that I live here in the States in Las Vegas, Nv so I would have to fly them, I'm doing some checking on that so hopefully it will go smooth thank you for your feedback

If they are used to the heat, it will be easier on them.
All our 'crew' are Costa Rican dogs, but the heat still gets to them and they love to go into the bird bath to cool off.... :lol:... even when they hang over the edges.

Meant to add that is a very good idea on your part to visit before making a permanent move, especially when it involves bringing pets.
Here is a good website with info on living legally in Costa Rica

We are moving with our giant 114 lbs dog to Costa Rica in Aug- she is not a Great Dane but is just about the size and height of one.  We are having a hard finding a way to fly her down as the giant 700 crate is too small for her.  Can I have any info you have on the company who can drive her down to Costa Rica?  We would be leaving from Fort Lauderdale or Miami but we are willing to leave from a different city if needed.  Thank you!!

we'll u have to fly the dog and when u do find out let me know I have 1 great dane and 2 other dogs!  thank you

I flew two great danes last year. It is possible but it was complicated they must fly as cargo. I ended up using a pet relocation company to arrange the flights because we had to use multiple airlines and a freight airline out of florida to accommodate the size of the crates. I had to get a special crate height extender (from a guy in Seattle) to make the size 700 crate taller. its was complicated and expensive but it worked. My danes are now happily in Costa Rica and all is well!

do you mind sharing the name of your relocating service and the cost?  We have a couple of very large dogs too, one of them weighs more than 100 lbs without a crate!  Thanks.

Amerijet used to fly from Fort Lauderdale to Costa Rica and they were able to accommodate oversized dogs as cargo.  I just found out they are no longer flying to Costa Rica.  So now I'm researching other airlines and possible ground transportation.  Has anyone ever had their pet transported by ground from the US to Costa Rica by a professional service?

Hi, just read what you wrote!I got family in Monroe and New Orleans !!!! I live in South Austin Texas.We have several poisonous snakes here.We also have people that train dogs to stay away from them. The rattler isn't as easy as other snakes for a dog to kill.My little black chow loved killing snakes but when it came to rattlers.I would always try to stop her when I could.It was a miracle in 11 years she never got bite but she was lightening fast ! I try not to let my dogs now kill snakes. I had talked to a top vet at Texas A&M U.He said that if a dog gets bit in the head that it has a good chance to make it from a snake bite. If it gets bit in most other places it will die
most of time.Since the venom will travel fast to major organs! It's never smart to let your dog kill snakes in the first place.If possible !!!!When you can kill them yourself and saves on the vet bill and dogs life  !!!!!  Good luck !

Yes...our lab was bitten on her face, and treated quickly .

Depending on where you live in Costa Rica it may not be a good idea to bring dogs with you.
A crock got a little white dog in our development that wandered too close to the river.  Another person we know lost a beautiful large dog to a snake bite.  I guess dogs would be safe in Costa Rica, all depending on where you are living.

Hi- I saw you wrote you shipped your Great Danes to Costa Rica last year.  I'm trying to ship my extra large dog ( too big for the commercial airlined to take her )to Costa Rica and not having any luck.  Can I ask who you worked with to get your dogs down there?  Was it Amerijet?  They no longer fly to Costa Rica and that was going to be the way we shipped our dog down.
Thank you

My great danes flew DHL cargo from Miami into San Jose hope that helps!

Great!  I will look into that!  Thank you!

I contacted DHL and they told me they don't ship live animals anywhere.  Are you sure that was the company you used?

Here is their flight info from last year

Miami  San Jose

Date: 23/October/2013
Carrier: DHL
AWB# TBA
Departs: 8.30 AM
Arrives: 11.00 AM

I am now planning to bring my basset with me this fall. He will be coming back and forth with us each year (every 5-6 months). I am hoping to fly him on American Airlines as checked baggage. He fits easily in a 400 size crate. Anyone have any recent experience with this? I don't think he will go through customs warehouse? Thanks Jen

Only requires a custom broker if transported as 'cargo'
DHL website info which states animals as 'prohibited'...unless they contacted this out.

Thanks!!  I can't figure it out.  do you know what website address you have for them?  Maybe I called the wrong company.

It was arranged by an animal transport service I did not speak to DHL directly

do you know the name of the service?  You wouldn't believe the prices I've been quoted, like more than $5,000 for our two big dogs!  I really appreciate the information you're sharing.  thanks, thanks.

$5000 for two large dogs, is the 'norm' from what I have heard.

I've been doing a lot of research on this and this is what I have come up with so far. 
Avianca airlines has a cargo plane that only flies on Tuesdays from  Miami to San Jose, CR.
It leaves MIA  around 11:00 PM . 
They only accept plastic crates!  Our dog is too large for the 700 series crate even with extenders on it.  We had a TSA approved wooden crate but Avianca won't accept it.
We are back to square one.
Does anyone know of where to get a plastic travel crate larger then a 700 series size? 
Has anyone else had luck with DHL?  I called them as well and they said no animals.
I'm trying to do this myself to keep the cost down and avoid a pet relocation company.

We're stumped too.  DHL told me the same thing, no animals.  I saw pictures of plastic crates with wooden inserts to make them taller.  Is that what you're calling extenders?

Arriving in San José in the early hours could be problematic when trying to retrieve your dog as it will be considered 'cargo' and will require the use a broker and they don't open early...or after 5pm.

Yes the wood boards screwed between the top and bottom pieces of the plastic crate are the extenders.  You can buy "extender kits ."

Also, we have a broker and he has worked with many people bringing in their pets.  If your pet arrives at a time other than their normal working hours your pets are supposed to be moved to a cargo holding area and they are "well treated."

I paid about $1200 per dog out of Canada The extender are from a guy is washington state. they are wood but are the right kind for import/export and come with papers saying so they are made to perfectly fit the 700 crate.

I have not heard of a bigger plastic crate. Maybe you could have one made? or have plastic or metal extenders made?

We brought our Lab, and our Cairn on Delta as checked baggage last winter and we will bring them again this October.  We also brought our cat as carryon.  Initially, we got loads of misinformation and it almost was a disaster.  Be sure the rep understands you want them as checked baggage, not "cargo". Two completely different ways to bring them on the plane. At the 11 th hour Delta had to fix our tickets, after arguing with a supervisor for some time. Then, when we got to the Sacramento airport to fly first to  LA and then to Costa Rica, we were told that the Labs crate was too big to fly on any plane going to LA from Sacramento. We have to fly through Atlanta to get a plane big enough.  To shorten a long story, this time we called Delta and we knew what to say and what to question the rep said.  Sure enough, the rep was a little confused but we persevered and got the flight we wanted.  We fly the "red eye" so we only have one stop in Atlanta with the shortest layover. We tell the steward on the plane to let us know when the dogs get transferred to the second plane. They can contact the baggage dept and let you know. They treated the dogs very well, and while the flight was not easy, it was worth it to us since we did not want to be separated from our pets for 3 months. American Airlines was less flexible than Delta. I would call several times to check on the info they give you. Remember, the size of the crate and the size of the plane are important. The length of the flight and the number of stops is important. The time of day and the air temperature of where you fly to is restricted if it is too hot or too cold for animals in baggage. Don't get scared by all of this!  We learned a lot and the trip back from Costa Rica was much, much smoother. We stayed in Nuevo Arenal and the dogs did great, the cat is used to being on a leash outside and is very mellow, so she did well also.  We bought a house in Atenas and will be coming back in October, with all animals in tow plus many, many suitcases.  It's a circus but well worth it to us.  WIth your little dog, your flight will be easy, I am sure!

what size crate was your lab in? a 500?

The Lab was a size 500, XL.  When on the phone, they wouldn't accept us just saying it was a 500, we actually had to give them the dimensions.  Delta charges $200 for each animal, each way, whether they travel as checked baggage, or as carryon.

When an dog plus kennel has a combined weight of over 100lbs, it requires to be transported as 'cargo' and this is where the additional expense is incurred.