Can I survive on 71,000 IDR a month plus benefits

My husband was offered a job of 71,000 base salary per month after taxes, school allownace of 1,894,000 for our baby per month, medical insurance, semi furnished 2 bedroom apartment including all utilities, and car.

Is this a good deal? Can we get daycare for the money given? How much will it run us into for food for 3 people and a little entertainment on the weekend sometimes, for example a movie?

Really need as much help as we can get. Thanks

Hello rhiggins.

In meantime, you can read this thread on Cost of living in Indonesia. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi are you sure the figure 71,000 idr is correct?

Hi everyone.  I am new to this site.  Actually today I signed on.  Can I survive as a single person on 28,320,000 a month in Jakarta.  I am retired and will be headed that way in less then 30 days. 
                       Thanks,

Hi Tomadams,

I am pretty sure I could. I live on much less than that each month and I am more than happy. Click this link to one of my blog posts to help give you an idea of some basic costs here in Jakarta. I wont say all are 100% correct but its a good guide.

http://mylifejakarta.blogspot.com/2012/ … -2012.html

are you sure it would be 71.000 IDR??

agnes ide wrote:

are you sure it would be 71.000 IDR??

Rp71,000 will buy you a pizza but you'll have to do without a drink.
The dude/tte on Rp28 million can do pretty much anything they fancy.

&7 Thousand a month If you are taking Rupiah Is simply a joke I spend that much per day on Petrol are you talking US $ or Euro ??? Its probably a good deal ??

Let me know what currency you are talking??

lol i think he/she is probably missing a couple of zeros??? Rp. 7,100,000 a month maybe?? Seem more realistic. If this is the case, I would think yes you can comfortably live in Indonesia.

rhiggins, i think it doesnt make sense if 71,000 IDR ya :), perhaps u mean 71,000,000 IDR or 7,100,000 IDR? 71,000,000 is more than comfortable enough, and for 7,100,000 u can survive

hI EGUYS, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ONLIVING EXPENSESE THREEE. i THINK IF i AM CAREFUL i CAN MAKE IT ON 3000 u s A MONTH.  AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE.  HOPE TO KEEP IN TOUCH.
                                   tOM ADAMS

Sorry the misprint in figures. The correct amont is 71,000,000 ID per month. Can we survive on this per month?

Thanks

yes, u can survive more than comfortable enough ;) do not worry rhiggins

rhiggins wrote:

Sorry the misprint in figures. The correct amont is 71,000,000 ID per month. Can we survive on this per month?

Thanks

The question is:
Can you survive on 47.3 times minimum wage per month because that's what you'd be on.

Unless you intend to be totally daft in the shops, you should save 50 million or more per month and still be able to do pretty much anything you fancy.

what about that money, could you save on that?

jennabarry wrote:

For sure you can save money.

Certainly it depends also on your life style but as long you don't hang out in bars every night and you do not need fancy expensive food in one of the hotels, you will be fine

Happy with street food and planning on maybe a gym for the week and bar maybe at the weekend.

Are gyms expensive OR any classes like circuit training?

jennabarry wrote:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=293005

jennabarry wrote:

Happy with street food and planning on maybe a gym for the week and bar maybe at the weekend.

Are gyms expensive OR any classes like circuit training?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c … %20jakarta

Gyms are common in Shopping centres. Have a wander around and you'll find some, if you don't fancy that, use the google link above.

71 juta is a whole lot of money. Your family can live very very comfortably.

Foreign English teachers only earn Rp15,000,000 to Rp20,000,000 and they can live comfortably enough with it, so you'll do just fine with Rp71,000,000. Note that rented accommodation is usually paid one or two years in advance.

Mike

Wow... Rp 71,000 per month...so that is about $6  US.  ....I think you need more than that.