Credentials for working as a psychiatric nurse in BC

Hi all

Need some help/advice

I have been applying for registration with the CRPNBC for the past year and have recently received my final assessment. This informed me that I was not eligible to sit the exam as my university in England did not meet the criteria for working as a psychiatric nurse in Canada. I thought that the only reason for this could be that psychiatric nursing courses in England do not involve general nursing clinical hrs. I have asked for more details from CRPNBC but not received an answer as yet.

Any advice on what I could possibly do next or even is there a different province in Canada that you do not need general nursing clinical hours

thanks

Hi there,

I'm a UK nurse who has just registered in Nova Scotia after sitting CRNE in Feb this year. I'm not sure about BC but I can tell you about my experience in NS. My background is that I started as an Enrolled Nurse (General) then I did RMN bridging. When I did my initial application to NS they automatically told me I wasn't eligible to sit the exam because my registration was mental health. I contacted them and explained that although I was RMN I had completed 18 months General Nursing first. They then said I could apply for initial assessment, this comprised of an application form and transcripts from the NMC and my University where I trained. I then had to go for a 3 day assessment to Halifax, this comprised of written exams and osce's in all aspects of general nursing, medical, surgical, elderly, paediatrics, midwifery and psychiatry, think that was all ! the outcome of my assessment was that I had to complete modules in paediatrics and maternal child health, this was on an RN Bridging course at the Registered Nurse Professional Development Centre in Halifax, I completed these online but had to go to NS to complete clinical placements. I think that all RN's in Canada are general trained and then they do post grad training in psychiatry etc, but I think to be able to sit the exam and register you have to show that your training matches the equivalent in Canada. I would think that BC probably offer some kind of Bridging course too, to enable people to reach the Canadian standard, it might be worthwhile contacting the RNPDC or look at their website, might give you some ideas. Hope this helps !

PS also go onto allnurses.com  its a great place to link up with other nurses and get help/advice on nursing in Canada

Hey tazzytazzy :)

Thanks for your advice just gives me a few more options to look at. I was all set to give up the ghost! I was pretty disappointed with the final assessment

Thanks

Hi pipster,
don't give up ! I started the process back in 2010 and that's me only got registered now, but that's been a combination of finances and family issues ! If you really want to nurse in Canada its not insurmountable, you just need to be tenacious sometimes. I've now applied for PR and hope to be living and working in NS in the spring of 2015, many times i felt like giving up, but i just kept plugging away and now hopefully i will achieve my goal. Keep going !!