Learning the hard way!

Hello my name is Tony B 764. I am a single retired police officer from the United States. I bought a home on the border of Sosua/Cabarete.   I love the Dominican Republic but it does have its downside.  I have been working on my home and many of the contractor's are just here to rip you off. I had to hire a lawyer because the last contractor I was dealing with, messed up every project he did for me and he is now suing me for additional unpaid fees that he made up after, I told him I no longer wanted him working at my house or for me. What a warm welcome I have had so far.

Ahhhh Tony so very sorry to hear this!  As an expat it is a tough lesson but one most of us learn, its just a matter of how big or how small.

Please please please everyone learn from this -  you must take the time to really understand how things work here. It is sooo different then what you know and different then what you may think.

Tony  -  how can we help you?  AND can you give more specifics about what you MIGHT have done differently?

One piece of advice - be careful of lawyers too!!!!

Are you the Tony I met at the dentist's office a couple of months ago in Sosa?

Yes it is hard to learn the "hard" way here.  You can not go into thing blindly here including buying a house or hiring contractors.  Rely on recommendations of friends who have had work done.  Never pay until the job is complete.

I do hope things get better for you.  If you are not the Tony I met where did you buy your house and had you been here before?

Bob K

Tony, I've already heard about such cases, listening to Mr. T's advice on his "Educated Traveler" you tube channel. Just because, we decided to do all the repairs  by ourselves at the house we intended to buy. Maybe, when you are already there, try to contact him before you starts looking for a lawyer because he also gives good advice as all people in this forum who are willing to help us who do not know about all the casualties of life in DR ... and good luck with your house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Nsp9kSp1Y&t=1424s

Honey this is an old thread,  5 years old!

Oh my god,  :dumbom: thank you Planner,!  I was shocked by Toni's problem so I did not even look at the date  :cool: ... I'm new here I will have a little better look at posts, I guess!  I hope so far Tony has long lived happily in his finished house!  :cheers:  Hallelujah...

This happens honey, no worries. Thank you for trying to help out!!!  :D