Hello from Canada!

We are a  married  couple  looking  to  move  and  retire  to  Belize.

We  would  like  to  rent for  6 months  and  get a  feel  for  an  area  we  would  like  to  buy into.
My husband  is  part  fish  I am  sure !....  giggle.....  so  we  would  be  looking a  renting a home on  the  water.

Any guidance .. as  to   a  nice  safe  area .. would  be  appreciated. I  seem  to  only  find  scammers  ..  so  I  joined  this  group  to request help  from  others already  living  there.

As  well , feel  free  to inform us  of  things  like .... Health  care-- auto  insurance-- the  name  of  a  reputable  lawyer for  negotiations  and  closing---  land title  rules  and  regs... boating  rules (  and  or  purchase)  anything  you  think  we  should  know.

Thanking  you  in advance! :)
Kimberley

Hi Kimberly,

My name is Mark.  I have lived in Belmopan. Belize from 1993.  In reply to your question we have alternatives for living by the sea here.  On the main land you have Corazal which is located in the north by the Mexican border.  A peaceful, mainly Spanish community who also speak English with some expats living their.  Then in the Stann Creek District you have Hopkins Village and Placencia.  The beaches here to me are better than Corozal.    Both Hopkins and Placencia have a lot of Expats in business.  Resorts, Restaurants etc.. In the far south you have Punta Gorda.  Then you have the different Cayes.  San Pedro and Caye Caulker.  San Pedro being more expensive and a bee hive for the tourists.  Caye Caulker a little more reserved but still busy.  These are some of your options but I recommend you come for a visit.  Stay on the main land, rent a car and visit some of the places for yourself.  Then head out to the Cayes before you go home to get a feel for the different places.  If you have any more questions you can email me at [email protected].  I do not know everything but I have a lot of experience from living here.