I'm finally here!

Hey fellow expats! I'm finally here in Bahrain!  Feels like it's been such a long time from beginning to now, but I made it, and looking forward to the new life!
I thank you guys so much for replying to all my questions!
Stefne

Welcome to Magic Island... Hope you have a marvellous stay

Cheers

Capt Chocolate

Dear Stefne915,

Welcome to Bahrain! i hope you will enjoy your stay here!

good luck! & Cheers!

T&R
Arjun

Capt Chocolate wrote:

Cheers

Capt Chocolate

Capt Chocolate , did I see you somewhere on topix forums :D ?

stefne915 wrote:

Hey fellow expats! I'm finally here in Bahrain!  Feels like it's been such a long time from beginning to now, but I made it, and looking forward to the new life!
I thank you guys so much for replying to all my questions!
Stefne

You're welcome to the Pearl Island !

Hope you have a pleasant stay , and hope you like Bahrain :)

Any queries , feel free to ask anytime  :top:

Yeah, you may have :)

Welcome to Bahrain stefne.

I am sure you will like it here.

gunner757 wrote:
Capt Chocolate wrote:

Cheers

Capt Chocolate

Capt Chocolate , did I see you somewhere on topix forums :D ?

Is this like the "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" moment for the two of you??  :P

More like a sense of deja vu :)

Welcome and Good Luck.

Thank you everyone! I'm liking it so far! All except the humidity!  Does anyone know where I might get things like hair dryers, shower curtains, maybe like a thrift store?
There's not such a store like Walmart or Target?

Have you tried the supermarkets?  Carrefour, Geant and Lulu.  Lulu especially tends to be good value.

For real bargain cheaper stuff you can try Ansar Gallery, Al Anwar Discount store and the various Bahrain Pride, Kingdom Pride stores around the Island.

Check out the hypermarkets or the supermarkets... They usually stock all these items in store... As Scot said, Lulu or Geant will be the best bet for electricals & electronics.

May be these two want to share something on this forum?  :joking:

@stefne915 - Welcome to this tiny island - You will for sure like it here. As for the humidity, its only for this month. Come September, the temperature will start to drop and you will enjoy being outdoors.  :top:

Scottrace has mentioned the three main supermarkets that are good in value and i can vouch for that  :)

Enjoy Bahrain

jazzy851 wrote:

May be these two want to share something on this forum?  :joking:

Nothing to share  :lol:

I was on some other forum , and saw that name often , just wanted to know if he is he or not  :D

I will definitely try the stores you all listed. I thank you for the input and especially the optimistic comment about the humidity!

When you try the stores here you will be amazed with the parking space available and that you dont have to pay for parking either (i'm comparing to uk )  ;)

Humidity - yes put up with it for now then next month, the temp will start dropping (although the afternoons will be hot, but not as hot as it is now) - come December onwards the evenings will be cool and somewhat chilly.. so you may need that jumper..  :)

We ventured out to the Bahrain Mall last night, and found the Geant store! Wow!  It's a lot bigger than the two that are close to my house!  Thank you all for the information!

Give the other malls a try too and then you can decide which one you rate best.  :top:

Enjoy your shopping and weekend.  :)

u welcome to bahrain  ....
go to carfor in city center mall

Beware of guarantees at Lulu's - we bought a vacuum cleaner from them and when we plugged it in is set on fire. They refused to exchange or refund as we had used it - yeah right!!!!  My husband unplugged a huge 80" tv inside their store and went to plug the vacuum in. Exchange done in seconds but what a fight. DG Sharaf warranty isn't brilliant either. I tend to stick to Carrefour as they are really good.

Carrefour is a multinational retailer , I guess you should stick to it for reliable products !

But again , for stuff other than electronics , go with Lulu , it's pretty much famous around the Gulf ;)

Beware of guarantees at Lulu's - we bought a vacuum cleaner from them and when we plugged it in is set on fire. They refused to exchange or refund as we had used it - yeah right!!!!  My husband unplugged a huge 80" tv inside their store and went to plug the vacuum in. Exchange done in seconds but what a fight. DG Sharaf warranty isn't brilliant either. I tend to stick to Carrefour as they are really good.

:o

I bought some extension leads here from lulu only for them to give off a loud bang when plugged in!. Never again!
Some stuff is cheaply made here and you have to be cautious when buying as equipment standards are not the same as uk where 99.9% of electrical equipment is certified.  :/

Thanks for sharing the info Jo, its good to know about warranty policy here  :top:

I have also been through a refund / exchange policy with Carrefour.

I wanted to exchange some bedding stuff i purchased (it wasnt much in cost) but I found out that you have to fill in a form at customer service where they give you the equivalent in cash and then you go and buy the one you want . I was expecting a swap out but had to go through the form filling and then buying process again... abit long winded but i guess this is their policy.

Please note this is for a small priced item - it may be different for larger purchases.  :unsure

All good information, as usual!! Thank you all!!

I too had a bad experience with Sharaf DG. Their warranties are useless and very frustrating if you have any issues with the goods purchased.

I now purchase the bigger and more important electronic/electrical goods directly from their local agents. You may pay a little more, if at all, but well worth it for the peace of mind you get with it.

Welcome to Bahrain

I hope that you enjoy living in this beautiful island

:)