Be in touch with fellow Canadians here in Ecuador

OH--goodie!!! I have found you!!
It is soooo good to be in touch with fellow Canadians here in Ecuador. I live in Cuenca and I have been here for a month. Previously I was in Cumbaya just outside Quito but opted to go with my first choice--here in Cuenca.
I am from Calgary--originally born and raised in Winnipeg. I taught English Second Language up there in many language schools and also at the university. I worked with corporate oil and gas employees as well.
I am an active, fit, articulate mature woman--although sometimes I wonder--ahem. I am playfully witty and at the same time a caring and considerate person whose interests are many and varied. From dance to hiking, from swimming to horse riding--book discussions to adventure seeking as in new horizons. Sociable, polite and friendly. That's me!! My animals came with me --all rescue dogs from the organization known as Little Mutts Rescue up there in Calgary. I brought the cat as well. It cost a lot but I didn't think about leaving them behind. I sure hope there are some expat Canadians here that I can hook up with---from Calgary or  Winnipeg--added bonus!!!
Cheers all!!!

Hello Barbara Suderman,

I have created a new thread with your message on the Forum Cuenca for a better visibility and interaction with other members.

Hope you will meet some folks from your hometown :)

Cheers
Olivier
Expat.com Team

Barbara...you don't say whether you are alone or not but I was in Cuenca for 10 weeks at the start of the this year.  I met many good people from all over the world and some not so good.  There are many Canadians there and also a surprising number of single, divorced or widowed ladies that came on their own.  I was quite impressed with their intestinal fortitude.  I am a Canadian from Ontario but originally from Saskatchewan and I found I had a great time not limiting myself to just Canadians or English speaking only. 
    I am returning with my papers at the end of October and hope to get either an extension or a retirement visa, as I plan on retiring in Ecuador.  Hope to see you there.

Bryan (Stick7)

Hola fellow Canucks  :)

My name is Kevin, I was living in Nanaimo, BC on Vancouver Island, but I grew up In Cowtown!! I have been to Cuenca twice in the last year and a half on fact finding missions. I am now a resident of Ecuador using the Investor Visa to be able to stay here without fear or worry about expired visa's, immigration and so on.
I am sooooo happy to be here!   I have never once thought to myself that this move was the biggest mistake ever.  I really cannot see myself moving back to life in BC or anywhere but here. I realize that Cuenca is not the paradise that you are told by reading IL.  It is a beautiful city, the country is great and what makes it really special, are the people.
So I am single as well, 60 this April 2015, humourous, healthy and brought up to respect others of different cultures,  I too have a soft spot for the dogs here. Seeing those poor pups rummaging through garbage, being kicked, chased and dodging cars, whose drivers think the dogs are targets. I am really enjoying the minimalistic lifestyle I have chosen to live here. No car, no TV, no mortgage, no debt.
I would like to be a little more in touch with fellow Canadians, except Edmontonians.   :lol:    No worries, they will understand the humor behind that statement.  So if any of you Canucks want to meet for Cafe' Americano, I would be happy to chat and especially hear about your decision to move here. OK, so thats my deal in a nutshell, eh
Hope to meet up with you anytime. I am a freelance photographer and I love documenting life on the street here.

Kevin (or as the aboriginals pronounce it = Kebin)

I am Canadian, born and raised in montreal...but have lived in medicine hat to nova scotia. Last 14 years were in Ottawa.
I have been in Cuenca since April.

Hi there Janet. Wow, you lived in the Hat!!  The place that has hell for a basement?  I lived in Lethbridge for a time, and Medicine Hat was part of my territory. Always chuckled as I went through Seven Persons and Manyberries.  It was always so hot there in the summer.

As a matter of fact, I have a friend from La Belle Province, Montreal as a matter of fact, coming to stay here until April. His name is Bertin Rouleau. It's so funny hearing a French Canadian speak Spanish with that accent of his. Are you fluent in French?
Hows your Espanol?? 
I am still learning. I know quite a few words and their meaning, but am unable to speak complete sentences or understand what the locals are saying to me. They speak tooooo fast for me right now!

Anyway, thanks again for writing. Glad to connect with you, and if you feel so inclined, let me know when you are free for a cafe. perhaps we could make it a threesome when Bertin is here, that is if you can stand being near those people :)

Have a great, healthy and exciting New Year Janet!!  Go burn some dummies tonight, its a riot!!

Kevin

i am head to elcentro tonight to watch the fire works. If you are there look for me in a long green skirt and a cane. Thats me.

i speak very limited french and spanish unfortunately. i will be taking spanish lessons in the not to distant future.

I would love to do coffee sometime. I can walk most anywhere, but I live in Puerto del Sol near Feria Libre.

I was in the service, so I Was posted to Suffield. lived in the hat for the first 2 years, then on the base.