IS PERUGIA TOO MUCH OF A COLLEGE TOWN FOR A 50 YEAR OLD?

I'm planning on living in Italy next year for 6 months, then Greece for 6 months.  I'm single and retired and don't plan on working there.  I fell in love with the Umbria region a few years ago during my trip to Italy.  I'm looking for the perfect town to move to that has a balance of peace and quiet as well as some night life.  I also want a location that is train/bus accessible as I don't plan on having a car there.  Is Perugia a good fit ? Is there too many college students there that make it a party town? Any input on helping me chose the perfect town would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks... Lisa

Hello Lisa and welcome on the forum ;)

Hope that soon enough some members over there will be able to best advise you.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you for the information! :)

Hi Duncan's Mom, My wife and I are from Maine and we are also interested in Perugia.  I am wondering since you posted your question, if you have learned more about the place.  Is it a good place for 50 somethings?  It seems to be an attractive mid sized Umbrian city with the cultural life you would expect there, including around the university.  Greg

where, how, when, in Umbria

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Associated website = advertising
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi II'm Australian and married to an Italian and have been living in Perugia for 20 years. It is a quiet , safe, spot where one can enjoy the genuine Italian life and has so many beautiful village towns one can visit. We have an apartment we rent which is on airbnb perugia-antica which is 30 mins from the historical centre and close to bus trains transport.  There is absolutely everything in the flat you need, it is bright and sunny with a view and everyone who has been has been happy. We had an American who used it as a pied a terre for his Italian travels..he was to come 6 months and renewed for another 12 months then went back because his wife wanted to be near their grandchildren. Check it out if you think it might suit you or you can write to me.  Two English girls from Erasmus 3 month program have just left.  I really have never been into the night life...obviously there are bars and clubs but its more of a relaxed student town.  Italy certainly doesnt have the Anglo Saxon mentality so if you are flexible and adaptable it would be fine for you. All the best,  Elena