American in Lecce - looking for other English speakers

Hello, I'm currently living in Lecce and I'd like to meet other English speakers who are also living in the province of Lecce.  Actually, I am lucky and I meet many people who speak English here, but I'd like to meet more!

My Italian speaking ability is low and perhaps I should put my effort into learning Italian instead of trying to find more English speakers?  I am monolingual and I'm not proud of it.

What's up? Shall we catch up for a cup of coffee? My number is ***.

Mr A
Angelo

Hi. You're not living in Lecce by choice, are you? Visited last October to vacation for a couple of months there and lasted 6 days. You found people who speak English? You're lucky. We didn't meet a soul who spoke it. We found Lecce pretentious and snobbish and lacking any ancient charm whatsoever. It reminded me somewhat of Cancun, Mexico...all steel and glass and new marble tile installed yesterday. Viva la difference in people, right? Maybe you'd like to tell me, if you live there voluntarily, what you like about it. Robert.

Hi Robert.  Ha!  Yes, I am living here voluntarily.  I found your comment to be really interesting!  I'm curious where you stayed.  Personally, I bounce between Seattle and Lecce on the regular and I come here for my own interests - not for romance, real estate, or family connections.  My affection for the Salento (Lecce) is very intense, indeed!  This is my sixth trip to Lecce and I've certainly been here long enough to develop pet peeves, but I love it more than anything else.   

I'm attaching an excerpt that I wrote recently with a few positive aspects about Lecce.  It is not meant to be comprehensive, but it will give you a bit of insight into my perspective. 

I'm copying and pasting here:

In the region of Puglia, in the most southeastern extremity, therein lies a cultural anomaly. One of Europe's best kept secrets is otherwise known as the Province of Lecce.

Lecce is not simply a province, but the principal ambassador of a cultural legacy, the Salento. Notably, the residents of Lecce collectively identify themselves as Salentino.  Lecce is interchangeable with the name, Salento, as it depicts the cultural identity of the city and people.

The Salento culture is profound and multilayered. Looking back to the first millennium B.C., remnants of the Messapian people are still revered as meaningful contributors to Lecce's unique heritage. From medieval castles to coastal watchtowers to grandiose Baroque Renaissance architecture, the Salento narrates an elaborate story. These historical tales are translated into an impermeable cultural identity adorned with romantic nostalgia. In short, the Salentino culture is vivacious, captivating, and infectious. For the European traveler or international tourist, Lecce unlocks an enchanted passage into another world. Fortunately, these infinite treasures are found within the provincial boundaries in an area less than 400 km².

The small province of Lecce is home to several museums and artistic venues. One example is the Museo Provinciale Sigismondo Catromediano. This particular museum provides insight into the cultural heritage, as the first and second floors exhibit ancient and medieval artifacts and sculptures. The third floor, however, is dedicated to gallery paintings, an illustrious grand piano, and an intimate performance stage with seating. Another noteworthy fact about this museum is its proximity (less than two km) to the Teatro Romano di Lecce, an archeological site constructed of limestone which dates back to the I-II century A.D. It should be noted that the Teatro Romano di Lecce is not a neglected attraction; instead, it serves as an active host to a series of artistic events throughout the summer months. These examples aim to illustrate the density and proximity of the city's cultural wealth, and how Lecce is easily navigated by foot, bicycle, and even public transportation.

Many residents from Lecce speak standard Italian, while most young people also study multiple foreign languages.
Remarkably, the province of Lecce is divided into 97 smaller municipalities, and remarkably still, is how nearly each municipality maintains a unique dialect.  Within this dialectal diversity lies one linguistic group, one that encompasses nine municipalities. This area is known as the Grecia Salentina and, historically, the inhabitants spoke an Ancient Greek dialect known as Griko.  Grecia Salentina is thought to be the heart of the Salento, as it's responsible for infiltrating Greek vocabulary, culinary dishes, dance, music, and folklore into the culture. The Grecia Salentina connects the Salento to Ancient Greece, which distinguishes it from northern Puglia and other regions in Italy.

Perhaps the most seductive appeal is the Adriatic and Ionian seaside. With warm crystal clear waters and sandy shores, the Mediterranean gives the Salento some of its best beaches. The Salento peninsula is comprised of karst (limestone), which makes the seaside perimeter extraordinary with geological formations and caves. This is a bountiful land, plentiful in natural resources and organic beauty. The red iron-rich soil yields crops effortlessly, which results in traditional cuisine that caters to natural flavors and simple wholesomeness. The passion for culinary art thrives from within the Salento and cookery schools and five star restaurants are never far from reach. Like many cities that share the Mediterranean shore, the beaches are welcoming and the olive oil and wine are some of the best in the world.

The Salento offers an exciting combustion of Southern Italian curiosities, a living storybook of history, and distinguished standards in cultural enjoyment. Certainly, when a city is as culturally rich as Lecce, it elicits recognition among its neighboring countries. Yet despite cultural abundance and a predictable influx of seasonal tourism, Lecce remains relatively unknown within the European community.

Hi Seattlegirl:

What a very fine writer you are, but are we talking about the same city and environs? Maybe I should take another look at the experience of Lecce. Do you have an apartment there and if so, might I, a vital retiree, be able to get a studio for, say, U.S.300. per month? I was shocked the first time I withdrew euros from an ATM there. It cost me $465.00 (dollars) for 300 euros. Lecce is not to blame for this, of course. It's the same throughout Europe.

By the way, I'm a writer as well; a playwright, having had 6 plays and 2 musicals produced, mostly premiering in Toronto. I left Toronto in 2001 when I retired and, since then, have had 4 productions in Central Ontario, Canada. I'm in the process of arranging auditions for another play as I write this.

Your "travelogue" (and I say that in the most flattering of ways) is superbly interesting. Thank you for it and may your times in Lecce always be filled with the obvious love you have for it at this time.

Regards,

Robert

Ciao,
Im fab from Lecce. Well my english is pretty ok, so anytime you wanna meet up for a convo, feel free to contact me :)

enjy lecce..

Fab: Wish I had of known you when I went to Lecce for 2 months and lasted 6 days. Really disliked your city, Bud. No Italian character to the architecture, few people willing to spend the time as we tried our Italenglish, one Italian broad behind a realty counter wouldn't even serve us as we were searching for an apartment for 2 months. Lecce, Schmecce! You live there? You like it? It's yours!

Hi,I'm not in lecce anymore

Are you still looking for English speakers? If so, please get in contact. Jeanie

Hello looking for Italians that want to learn English.

Hi I live in Lecce.I'm Canadian.

I'm Canadian living in Lecce looking for work.Can anyone help me..Thanks

Heyya
Sorry Canadian thr is no jobs for even locals but u can start ur own small business (entrepreneurship) in few grands
E.g like locals shops etc

Hi I've been in Lecce for a year now teaching English... love it here. I'm engaged to an Italian man from this area but always looking to meet new people. My Italian is improving but keen to take some lessons. I'm on vacation now but will be back in Lecce mid Sept. Would love to find a group of English speaking friends! :)

hi there, I live not far from you... would you fancy a drink in Galatina sometime in september? enjoy your holidays!

Where are you from?

I spend most of the time in Galatina, my girlfriend lives there. I live further south, Casarano

Hi Seattlegirl (& anyone else on this thread)
I'm new to Lecce & also looking for English speakers. Are you still around? Would love to catch up if you are.
cheers

Hi 'Aussiehere' and all others who are interested!

I started a Facebook page recently called 'Expats living in Lecce'. It's only been going for a week and so far there are 9 of us. I'm going to organise a get-together soon. I'm hoping to start an Italian speaking group amongst us too to improve our Italian.

Hope to meet you soon!

hi there everyone, I couldn't find any so called "expats living in lecce" page ... can you post us a link, please? ;-)

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of external links not allowed on the forum

thanks for your effort gallipoligirl, but seems to be not possible... how about send it privately?! it is possible, I believe!

Hi nderello

But this group is for expats, I believe you're Italian? If you are wanting to join a group to improve your English there are many in Lecce of which you can find on Facebook :)

There is an option to share links on this forum but after I shared my link it was then removed by admin? Confused.

Thanks for the reply Gallipoligirl. I am not a huge fan of facebook (ie, not keen on sharing personal info with folks I don't know). Is there some other way for us to meet up? I am in Lecce, looking for somewhere to live & plan to be around for a while.
cheers
Aussiehere :)

to be honest with u gallipoligirl, don't really need to improve the language, I regularly spend many months per year in london to do it, it could have been just a way to gather with u all... but it's ok!  ;-)

Hi i live in the province of Lecce close to the sea like to make firends with people of the same culture .I am involvolved in international Business .

Hi there,
I just back to my home town from some months and I'd like to meet people that as me like traveling and have different hobbies... I'd like to make new friends and help them as I can!

Cheers,
Fede.

Heya!
Are you still in Lecce?
Just moved here and am looking to meet English speaking people!

Hi
My husband & I moved from the US to Lecce June 2018.  On Tuesday nights after 9 pm a group of English speakers many Italians who want to practice English meet at Verso Sud in Piazza  Santa Chiara.  If you don't know of it you should stop by some time, we will be there next Tuesday night.  Oh by the way the group meets inside.
How are you enjoying Lecce and have you met any ex pats?

Hi Napol01
Are you still planning to meet next Tuesday?
I would like to pop along as I'm new to lecce
Maria

Yes we plan to meet next Tuesday after 9pm.  Hope to meet you.
Denise

Hi Maria,

As it is raining this evening not sure if we will be at tonight's gathering, if it clears after 9pm we shall see. Are you planning on going?  If we don't meet this evening, hopefully next week?
Best, Denise

Hi Denise - I just responded to you but I'm not sure if it got sent or not so just in case - I'll see you all next week as tonight is a bit wet!!
Take care
Maria

See you next week.  We just finished dinner and think to go next week. If you want to meet for a coffee this week or next we are free.
Best,
Denise

Hi Denise
How are you? I am planning on coming tonight if you guys are still meeting? I was registering at the Commune yesterday and I happened across an Australian lady, Peta and an Englishman, Dillon, who are teaching English here for a few months. I thought it might be nice for them to join us tonight? Is that ok? If so, I will pass on the details.
I'm looking forward to finally meeting you all
See you tonight!
Maria

Hi Maria,

W plan on coming around 9:30 pm , absolutely invite Peta & Dillion to come.  The more expats the merrier.
Looking forward to  tonight.

great! See you tonight
Maria

Hi Denise
I must apologise for not making it last Tuesday night - I suffer from migraines so I've been knocked out since Tuesday afternoon.
Would you like to meet for coffee sometime?? I'm not sure how to dm you as I'm aware the entire group can read our messages!!
Apologies again
Maria

Good morning Maria,e
I understand I hope you are feeling better.  It was a small group on Tuesday, maybe 10 of us .

I don't know how to PM on this site as well. I am on another expat site and you have the option when replying to PM or send to all.

Yes it would be lovely to meet for coffee next week after the 16th of October.  Just give me some dates and times that work and we can go from there.

Thanks,
Denise