EDU Visa and good language school in Chaing Mai

I am curious for those who have experience and can recommend a good language school in the general Chiang Mai area in which I would be able to acquire the necessary documentation for a one year EDU visa.

Looking for something that is cost considerate but also has good results for expats/foreigners.

T & T as well as Chiang Mai University have pretty solid ratings from what I have heard from others and read on other forums. Those seem to be two of the more highly regarded schools that I have looked into myself. Hope that helps some mate.

Some genreal tips.

Because 100 people say a school is good, don´t mean it be good for you !!!
We all learn different, we all like different teaching way and so on.
Therefor if someone tell about a school, go there your self and sit in for the free class, That normal every school have 1-2-3 hours free class for people to sit in and see if they want to sign up.
And same go if you go looking your self for others school, try the free class.

Talk to the teacher, student, about the school, about do the school provide paper work for Immigration every 90 days whiteout problems.
Do the student fell they learn and so on.

Be prepared to study "hard", Thailand have make it clear they want "Real" student on the ED-language school NOW.
Therefor when student go to Immigration for 90 days Extension, They Might / WILL be test, like writing, reading and speaking test.
Be prepared to meet the new requirement for the ED-Extension.
Like monthly income / money in the bank to support your self and so on, read more on thaivisa here:

Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

Be prepared if they change the law again about attending pr day/week like they talk a lot about.
Thailand like the requirement to be the same as is other country out there, So don´t be surprises if one day in the near future that Thailand change the weekly attending from 4 hours pr week, to 18-25 hours pr week.
So be prepared to go to school for those hours, One can´t complain if Thailand change the law about it, because it is only fair that a student go to school after all, and 4 hours pr week, is a joke  !!!!

And last, be careful about using cheap school, there is a good reason why they cheaper then others.
Why use a cheap school where the teacher Might be bad so you don´t learn enough and therefor you maybe don´t pass the test at Immigration, and your ED-Extension get cancel, and you have to leave the country inside 7 days ?

That it not Immigration fault.
It is not only the school fault.
It will be you own fault for saving a few baht.

Other then that, i hope you find a good school in CM.

Surely though Chiang Mai University cannot be counted as a bad school? That is one of the top schools in Thailand for even Thai students, and they offer  a few Undergrad degrees to foreign students, as well as TEFL/TESOL 1yr. certification courses.

Depending on what a foreign student plans to study, this might be a great opportunity for even younger potential expats who want to take a working/studying holiday or study abroad. BUT, I do agree with you that especially at Chiang Mai University compared to one of the language schools you walk by that focuses on 1yr. ED-Visa over the quality of the courses they offer you are definitely going to work hard in.

I think it lays a lot with the intent of the student, such as you had mentioned Never, that people too often use this type of Visa to stay in Thailand hoping to learn just enough Thai to impress the girls. I don't blame them for putting stronger restrictions on the Visa.

One thing that I feel strongly about though, is if you are going to live in another country, you should learn the National language, and not expect everyone in that country to have to learn yours. This might be the mindset of the govt. as well, hoping that future expats will embrace Thai culture and learn the lingo maybe?

I am sure that Chiang Mai University is a good school.
But do they provide Ed-Extension, because i know not all university do that.  ?
The hours on university is surly more the 4 hours pr week ??

You right Pompui, Many use the ED rout to stay here long time, i know a few like that, even after 5-10 years, can`t speak,  write or read Thai, and they all blame Thailand now for "follow" the law/rules, to start testing the student.
And the same people blame foreigners back home in the foreigners home country, That don`t learn the language good enough (and fast).. I know people are Strange , yes ??

I can tell you the first school i use my self have +300 student on the roster, and only 4-6 people sign the sign in book week after week, So i know many here, don´t even go to class.

I do hope the he find the correct place to start study, it be super nice to use a University as he get a chance to make Thai friends there to go out with, that can show him the city from a Thai point of view, and practice more Thai  with.
Ofcause if that what he want.

Yea it doesn't make much sense to me for someone to skip out on classes at a school, even if it is one that is only a few hours a week. These are people that obviously want to spend a longer period of time in Thailand and it only makes sense that showing up to classes would do nothing but improve their experience while in Thailand.

But Som Nom Na, some people just don't care much I guess.