Demand for Chinese teachers?

Hi everyone,

so, I am thinking about moving to UB and now I have a couple of questions.

First of all, I know next to nothing about Mongolia. So I am just wondering what life (of an expat) in UB is generally like, i.e. is it easy to get by or do you encounter a lot of problems. Possible issues I can think of right now would, for example, be the language barrier, cultural differences, or certain products like your favourite food that aren't available in UB.
I am especially interested to hear about what really sucks and annoys you about living in UB. Not because I enjoy hearing about other people's misery, but because I want to be prepared for issues I will have to live with, before I commit to a long-term stay in UB. If you all say, the biggest issue is the cold and long winter, for example, I will be happy to move to UB. If, on the other hand, there are massive gun fights in the main square on a daily basis, I might reconsider.
My biggest concern is safety. I think I read somewhere that it can be dangerous to take a taxi in UB because the driver might just end up mugging you. But I have trouble imagining that everybody living in UB constantly gets mugged or otherwise assaulted. So I would like to ask you guys if you find there to be a lot of crime and/or violence in UB.

Secondly, and actually the somewhat more pressing question, would anybody happen to know what the demand for Chinese (Mandarin) teachers is like in UB? My girlfriend is Chinese and would want to work teaching Chinese. Are there a lot of language schools in UB offering other language classes besides English? How easy is it, generally, to get by as a (non-English) language teacher?

Thank you for reading and for all comments.

Hello herrentorte

Concerning employment as chinese teacher for your girlfriend, I suggest you to place an advert in our section Language teacher jobs in Mongolia

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi herrentorte,
I am living here since one year. I can give you some ideas about the place and my experience, although some expats are living here for many years will know more about it.
First, I never take taxi. Not because of safety but because of the traffic jam. You will go faster by walk if it's a short distance in the city center. The Peace avenue is often blocked due to a bad traffic management and when there is an accident between 2 cars, they stop at the place even in the middle of the road until police come and make the report and photos. Of course it's just for short distance like less than 1 hour walk. Otherwise you can order some taxi company even by SMS, the price is fixed in advance and it's without problem. Nobody will speak English and will understand where you want to go. Get it wrriten on a paper or show the map. Recently a new company start "limouse - VIP taxi service" with air-contioning, English speaking driver, water included. It's getting better and better. Avoid to take taxi without fixing the price in advance however. Remember also that the taxi will charge double foreigner than locals. Never take "black taxi", it's very common to go on the street border and put on hand up and get a car stop. Only locals can take them as you need to negotiate first, also remember that they are not real taxi.

I do not recommend you to go out after 8 pm. Some pick-pocket will follow you and time to time some foreigners go beaten in the street if they don't want to give their bag. One tip, do not take any bag, hide all in your inside pockets - not visible wallet or phone, and don't wear attractive fashion clothes, just be normal same clothes style as locals and it's safe. Most of the pick-pockets are in the city center, near the square and the bus station, They are by groups, always youngs boys of 10-30 years old, they communicate each other by mobile to another group nearby when they see someone potential to steal..... police know them but do not do anything to catch them, also will not help you.
In day time, it's fine.
I got insult many times in Mongolian language in the street without knowing what I did, I was just walking and looking the floor in front of me. Some stupid nationalists drunk. Do not care about it, just continue to walk without looking at them. It's not often but maybe 1-2% of people. All others are friendly.
There is no violence, no crime. Just in winter some drunk men in the street who are sometimes fighting each other. When men drink vodka, they get bad and argue for some girl or money reason, do not get closer and  never take picture or video !

Chinese speaking club on Facebook

Many people want to learn Mandarin but it's difficult to find a school or a teacher, it's often an undeclared class in home due to some "against Chinese patriotic ideas". Saying that you are learning Mandarin is not well appreciated.....

Hello cheffrancais, I can't agree with you on "Nobody will speak English and will understand", most of guys (16-30) understand English at least at it's basic level, and most of elders don't know English but they know Russian.

For dear topic creator: Should be aware of pick pockets, seriously, go with some or at least one Mongolian friend when you go to the market at first few times, they can tell you where you should buy stuffs, where, when should walk and where shouldn't etc. Also they can advice you where you can go party etc hehe.
Unfortunately, there isn't much people know mandarin and who teaches it. And if you want, there are some individuals who can teach it : )

Things would be much easier if you have at least one Mongolian friend, so please try to make a friend, they can surf local sites and contact people at least.