Moving To Saigon & Have A Few Questions

Mia noi would usually be a mistress with financial support and I guess some older guys with young girls as 'giks' may support them but to me this isn't really gik-ship and more sponsorship.

But yeah many people use it in different terms.

So the burning question is...are there plenty of Vietnamese girls under 30 who are happy to have a no strings attached 'gik' style relationship with a foreigner without receiving support / sponsorship / marriage not being on the cards?

If you do find them, I'd like to know as well.
On the other hand, if you are willing to expand your criteria to under 40-50 years old instead of 30, then you may have a fighting chance  :D.

I might be willing to go to 35 max but no further. :D

DanFromSF wrote:

Re:  Paying on a date.  You're not expected to pay because you're a man, you're expected to pay because you're a foreigner  (tongue firmly planted in cheek).  In any case, you will always be expected to pay for your date, and any friend/cousin/sister she brings along, which is common because most "good" Vietnamese girls will feel uncomfortable being seen in public alone with a foreigner (lest people think she's a chicken).

Oh oh la la, you are right :D. I went out with my English teacher for "nhậu" (party), he said: Nga, you go with us, but you dont pay anything, ok? When I tried to pay some money, they didnt argee. I want to share with them, because there was a my colleague, he is poor like me, he must share everything - he is a man :D.

With other foreigners, everything is the same :D. They dont want me to share money, although I really want to share :D. Maybe they think I'm a poor woman :D. I got used to sharing everything with my friends/partner/my family...

After seeing some foreigner, I am happy because I'm a woman :D, especially, Vietnamese woman :P. Although, I said with my friends, if I have a wish, I wish I was a Vietnamese man, because they can do anything they want, many of them dont need to worry about family, they can get married with a 20-years old-younger girl (any men)... but Vietnamse women cant!

Anyway, I learnt many English words and how to write a sentence here. Thank you, guys :)!

Now that you mention financial support, I do see that happening.  For example, I know one expat (white guy) married to a VN woman.  She let's him fool-around with other women as long as he doesn't flaunt it.  She justifies this by saying, "if he eats the same noodles every day, he will get sick of those noodles".  He says the girls never ask for money, but he gives them money anyhow.  But, sometimes the girls will text him for a hook-up and he will say "sorry, I am broke" and they will reply, "that's ok, I just want to see you."  So, are they hookers?  I don't think the answer is that clear-cut.

ngattt wrote:

Oh oh la la, you are right :D.

Hahaha, you're funny, Nga.  I'm not sure you're agreeing with me, but I always appreciate it when a woman says I'm right. ;)

Hello All

Could we come back to the initial post please? It seems that the whole topic will be more on the gik side rather than on the practical side of ''moving to Saigon and having few questions''.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Another question....

What's the nightlife like in Saigon?

Can you find a good mix of bars, pubs, clubs, live music venues, gigs etc?

Lots of different music styles on offer or not?

There are many ways to enjoy musics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMw7lEknrmM

Dont worry about the bars. There are a lot of choices. Seems you want to go here but you think a lot. Just pack your clothes and see how everything is.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

There are many ways to enjoy musics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMw7lEknrmM

Dont worry about the bars. There are a lot of choices. Seems you want to go here but you think a lot. Just pack your clothes and see how everything is.

I've been to Saigon twice but really didn't find anywhere exciting. Both times were just short visits (under 7 days) so it's hard for me to judge.

I'm an experienced traveler and have lived in different cities so it's not that I'm scared or worried I just want to try and get as much information as possible from experienced expats before I make my next move.

I've been living in Bangkok till recently and I need that big city buzz. I need to be able to go out any night of the week and find something interesting going on, different scenes, different music styles, different crowds etc.

If Saigon doesn't have that then I know not to go there and try a different city in a different country instead.

Scotsman84 wrote:

I'm an experienced traveler and have lived in different cities so it's not that I'm scared or worried I just want to try and get as much information as possible from experienced expats before I make my next move.

I've been living in Bangkok till recently and I need that big city buzz. I need to be able to go out any night of the week and find something interesting going on, different scenes, different music styles, different crowds etc.

If Saigon doesn't have that then I know not to go there and try a different city in a different country instead.

Saigon is nothing like Bangkok when it comes to nightlife and Phnom Penh is nothing like Saigon . From reading your posts I think you'll be bored out of your mind within a month (faster in Cambodia) in both countries. I think your best bet is the Philippines.

Adhome01 wrote:

Saigon is nothing like Bangkok when it comes to nightlife and Phnom Penh is nothing like Saigon . From reading your posts I think you'll be bored out of your mind within a month (faster in Cambodia) in both countries. I think your best bet is the Philippines.

I think you're right about him getting bored quickly.  I think the best thing about Saigon is the food/coffee and exploring the city by motorbike, preferably with a companion.  Since he refuses to ride, I think it will get pretty boring fast.  As for the Philippines, that would be a huge culture shock coming from Thailand, and not for the better.   The girls are easy, though.

yeah! just move to Philippine. or africa

DanFromSF wrote:
ngattt wrote:

Oh oh la la, you are right :D.

Hahaha, you're funny, Nga.  I'm not sure you're agreeing with me, but I always appreciate it when a woman says I'm right. ;)

I'm sure you are right :D. I'm a funny woman, kakaka. I like seeing people when they smile :P.

DanFromSF wrote:

I think you're right about him getting bored quickly.  I think the best thing about Saigon is the food/coffee and exploring the city by motorbike, preferably with a companion.  Since he refuses to ride, I think it will get pretty boring fast.  As for the Philippines, that would be a huge culture shock coming from Thailand, and not for the better.   The girls are easy, though.

I think he is still very young, he has more enegy than us, so he needs one vibrant place than Saigon.
Anyway, I dont mean you are old :D.

Yeah Phils is an option still.

Food and good coffee are nice but not enough to keep me entertained.

A few people mentioned the difference between Thailand and the Phils is night and day. Will be interesting to see the difference.

Very interesting posts!

Most of OP's questions are already answered by experienced men already! I'll just throw in my 2 cents.

I've traveled to around 15 countries now, even in Europe and found out a bitter truth that in Vietnam, things are more expensive than people. As a Saigonese, I have to agree that to live in Europe can be a lot cheaper than to live in Saigon. In term of living standard in each place, I wouldn't do currency exchange to show that in Vietnam is cheaper.

To your burning question "are there plenty of Vietnamese girls under 30 who are happy to have a no strings attached 'gik' style relationship with a foreigner without receiving support / sponsorship / marriage not being on the cards?". If the girls under 30 that no need your financial support/marriage, they are normally independent/strong and earn quite well (Vietnamese standard). So the question should also be: "would those under 30 girls happy with NSA relationship with foreigner without receiving any financial support be interested in me?". NSA relationship is also a kind of "relationship" so it has to come from both sides.

You plan to live here for few months without motorbike, without your own transportation? You should really re-consider that! I have an Austrian friend working here as a model, who took only taxis in the first 2 months even I adviced him to buy a cheap motorbike and I would teach him how to drive. He called me later and asked me to help with the motorbike thing coz it cost him too much with the taxis.

With a motorbike, you can live outside of district 1 with higher living condition for a much smaller budget, then 1200 USD is do-able. When I go out, I expect to pay the bill around 100 $ but that's me going out to nicer bars and sometimes buy drinks for strangers I like.

My house is in district 1, less than 5 mins walk to all centrally located well-known bars/pubs/discos. I rent a reasonable cost apartment in district 7 for myself and don't even really miss district 1 much. I go home once in a while for a fun night out but nightlife in Saigon is not that special after you have enjoyed in other countries. Discos here mostly techno music and every night is quite same same so you might get bored quickly (like I did). There are bars with Latin music or acoustic but the price is much higher in those places.

But really, I think you should come here first and find out for yourself. Everyone has different experience.

I am from BKK Thailand. I found decent restaurant here much more expensvie than in BKK with the same quality of food. I have to cook everyday. Otherwise i will be broke! Not to mention about dates or drinks which will cost u a lot more here.
For me as a Thai lady.
Gig is someone you have intimacy with, while you already having girlfriend. Cheater it is.
You can mention her as your Gig.

Mia noi is mistress.

Thai people are polite and shy sometime they feel uncomfortable about your gig things  but they wont say a word. Dont be proud. They keep quiet to safe your face, deep inside they may think that u r just cheap western. And that girl , she will earn such a remarkable reputation for quite a while.

Scotsman84 wrote:

I wouldn't pay $600-$800 a month to live in Saigon. I can rent an apartment in the UK cheaper than that.

The beauty for me of living in SE Asia is I can have a better standard of living for much less (at least I could in BKK) but if I have to pay similar prices as to what you pay in the UK then it's not so worth it.

You couldent rent a shed for that money in London !

But really, I think you should come here first and find out for yourself. Everyone has different experience

I have actually been twice. But not for long enough to really know the city.

First time for just a couple of days and next time for around 1 week.

I actually didn't like it much BUT I didn't like Bangkok the first time I visited there either and ended up loving it and living there for 1 year so thought Saigon deserves another chance.

Thanks for the information anyway. Good to know.

the girls under 30 that no need your financial support/marriage, they are normally independent/strong and earn quite well (Vietnamese standard). So the question should also be: "would those under 30 girls happy with NSA relationship with foreigner without receiving any financial support be interested in me?". NSA relationship is also a kind of "relationship" so it has to come from both sides.

I guess that's the million dollar question.

In Thailand they are.

It's very easy to meet girls with a good job, good life, that don't expect any money from you when you're a young guy.

Gig is someone you have intimacy with, while you already having girlfriend. Cheater it is.
You can mention her as your Gig.

Most people I know, including Thai's (male and females) just use 'gik' to mean 'f*ck buddy' not necessarily someone you cheat on your g/f with.

Thai people are polite and shy sometime they feel uncomfortable about your gig things  but they wont say a word. Dont be proud. They keep quiet to safe your face, deep inside they may think that u r just cheap western. And that girl , she will earn such a remarkable reputation for quite a while

It's a Thai concept not a Western one so the blame can't be put on farangs.

Long before farang were on the scene Thai's had giks.

the girls under 30 that no need your financial support/marriage, they are normally independent/strong and earn quite well (Vietnamese standard). So the question should also be: "would those under 30 girls happy with NSA relationship with foreigner without receiving any financial support be interested in me?". NSA relationship is also a kind of "relationship" so it has to come from both sides.

I guess that's the million dollar question.

In Thailand they are.

It's very easy to meet girls with a good job, good life, that don't expect any money from you when you're a young guy.

Haha! It's good to see self-confidence sometimes!

The girls don't expect any money from you when you're a young guy? They might not say it but probably they expected a young guy to marry them and more!

Well based on my experience and that of every guy I know under the age of 35 none of us have ever had that experience where girls wanted money or marriage from us.

This is 2014 and Thai girls don't want to marry young any more than girls from the West do.

They've got promising futures ahead of them - university degrees, good job prospects, the chance to earn decent money etc.

Getting married and having kids isn't even on their agenda IME.

They also aren't stupid and know that just because we date / have sex doesn't mean things are serious, that we're boyfriend and girlfriend or marriage is on the cards.