Closing electric

We moved from the DR a few months ago and have recently discovered the electric bill is still in our name. How can i go about closing the account or getting it changed into the new owners name? Thank you for your response.

That needed to be done before you left. What city is it?

And which electrical company?

Punta cana and CEPM

Ok. We will need to find someone willing to help you there. I am in santo domingo.  Hold tight lets see if anyone will step up.  I can walk you thru thebprocess but cant actually do it.

You can also arrange for some one her (friend) to get a power of attorney and have them cancel your contract.  We did this for a client many years ago. I assume this can still be done this way

Bob K

Exsctly how it gets done still Bob. And bill must be paid to 0 owing at the same time!

The person that purchased the property is paying the bill through a 'property management company', who we have contact with but they want $70 to change the name on the contract. Can we simply email the electric company and say we no longer live there and show them proof of sale documents?

Maybe you could contact the lawyer or real estate agent who handled the transaction and see if they can help.

Bob K

I bet that the easiest way to do it is; fly back, request the close-out in person, wait the 3 business days they require, pay the balance and done. At least that's how it works in Santo Domingo.

Ridiculous to spend 100"s of dollars to fly back and close out an account.  US 70 to the management company may not be a bad thing.  It will likely take 2 or 3 trips to the electrical company to get this done.  Contact the management company and ask for a detailed quote, pay 1/2 up front and 1/2 when completed.

I would do it for you but my expenses to go back and forth would be well over this price.