Schooling in Port Vila

Hi.....we are possibly thinking of living in Port Vila for a year with our 10 year old daughter. Would love some insight into the schooling and any extra curricular activities that might be available? Daughter currently learning the flute and jazz dance but I don't know if this would be possible in Vanuatu?

Hello PinelopiNZ

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Some some members out there will help you soon!

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi PinelopiNZ

Your 10 year old would go to Port Vila International School.  It is very good.  It runs an Australian curriculum (I think Victoria which is a good one).  I was a teacher there once but am now a farmer! 

There are music teachers here in Vila.  Not sure if they teach the flute or not.  As for jazz dance.  Perhaps she may need to put that off for a year!

As for extra-curricular?  Outdoors stuff involving water is plenty.  Suggest she learn to dive or go snorkeling.  There is also horse riding schools.

Hi....thanks so much for your feedback. I thought it might be a push re flute lessons but she's really getting into at the moment and I'm nervous about breaking the link. Leaving her jazz lessons would be a biggy for her too. But "one door shuts and another opens" and she'd love horse riding tho and I would love the opportunity of getting into water sports. I meant to ask.....is there any/much French spoken at this school? Would she learn much of this language in a year?

Hi PinelopiNZ,

I don't think French is taught at PVIS.

But there are some french schools here you might want to try.

Primo

Thanks Primo.......will contact a couple of the schools and get an overview from them. Penny