Long-term visit pass, non-expat

Hi

We're a Singaporean family wanting to re-locate to Malaysia for our kids to start pre-school there. My husband plans to remain working in S'pore while i stay with the kids in M'sia. How can i acquire a long term social visit pass, so that i do not need to make monthly visits to S'pore just to get the immigration stamp on my passport? I understand S'poreans are only allowed in Malaysia for max 30 days, hence the monthly return to S'pore.

There is no way to do this unless your husband applies for MM2H and you are included in the application. It requires him to show a minimum monthly income and open a bank account with a fixed amount.

Thank you Gravitas :)

If you enrolled your kids in International schools, depending on their age you may be able to get a guardian pass as long as you can provide proof of income for yourselves.

Proof of income in S'pore?

Actually, I just re-read your post and as your children are at pre-school age, they cant get student visas and you cant get a guardianship visa. So MM2H is your only option.

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/hom … conditions

I dont quite undertand when you talk about "non-expat" because unless you are a Malaysian citizen, you are automatically classed as an expat.

Out of curiosity why would a Singaporean family want/need to relocate to Malaysia for their children to start pre-school in Malaysia? No pre-schooling in Singapore?

What does it mean, non-expat? Yes you are an expat except in Singapore of course. Explain what you meant, please.

Also, why only MM2H which is intended for retirement? The husband is working so i assume he isnt retiring so is he prepared to meet the heavy obligations of the scheme just so that his wife can stay in Malaysia with the kids? Can a person even apply for MM2H if he doesnt intend to live there?

If the question is, is it possible to just stay in Malaysia? And that answer is NO. So one can be a tourist and go out every 30 days but that door is closing for frequent in-outs. Maybe treatment of Singaporeans is unique because of the heavy cross-shopping on weekends. Are you and your husband separating? Or, why live apart? Do you have family in Malaysia? A LTSVP could work for that.

On this general topic, I was in the immigration office and there was an argument involving a chinese woman who was born in USA to Malaysian parents. She went back to stay with them for a while and didnt know you needed a visa. She overstayed one year. When she went to the immigration office it was just to ask a question involving her parents wanting to go abroad. Long story short, when immigration learned she was one year overstayed it appeared they sought to detain her. She apparently thought families were exempt--hence the meaning of non-expat? Hmmm Anyway that was tragic.

Not tragic. Very stupid!

Reminds me of old uk comedy "some mothers do have em" Brits will know what I mean 😉

MM2H has two separate facilities. 

One is for people who are under 50 years old and still working overseas and can show an income of RM10k per month and have RM500k capital - it is not about retiring necesarily (i.e. an income is required). 

The second part is for over 50 year olds who have to show a pension income of RM10k per month and capital of RM350k

An LTSVP (Long Term Social Visit Pass) is for people married to Malaysians. There is also a Social Visit Pass and that is for parents of people who have another permit to stay in Malaysia e.g. EP, Student Pass, etc.