Introduce yourself HERE!

Boy was I asleep at the wheel this morning.  Only 2.5 hours of sleep.  Sorry posted in the wrong thread.

Bob K

Hello all.. 
  I have posted a couple things so figure it is time to introduce myself.
I am from Nova Scotia,Canada and fell in love with  Dominican Republic after my first visit 14 years ago. So after many trips and a lot of planning my husband and I decided to test the waters last year & .spent the winter here outside Puerto Plata. I retired early and my husband had a couple health issues so the warm weather did us both good!!!
Well ..we LOVED  it.
We are back and waiting on Temporary Residency now..a long,sometimes frustrating battle..We have met a lot of people and are lucky our friends from Canada had already made the move so we are now neighbors!! We do live in a gated community with Dominicans,Germans Americans Spaniards.etc... I love Puerto Plata but love my sleep more!!! It is tranquil here!
My Spanish is enough to get by..although I want to improve it!! Facebook pages such as Everything Cabarete,Sosua Puerto Plata have been wonderful tools!!! Find things you need,ask advice ..whatever .Lots of help and have met many people!!  I look forward to reading the blogs here of people like ourselves !!

Well, welcome to your new home!
Sounds like you are in Costambar?
Also sounds like you made the right move.
Have patience with the residency thing.
I am doing mine as well. So far we have until Dec. 31/2015.
Don't be surprised if that changes or even if the
whole thing disappears  once the Haitian thing
goes away, or is resolved one way or another.
Have you been to "The Meeting Place" yet?

Thanks for the welcome!!
We are in Puerto Plata ..actually just outside,close to Montellano. I have not been to The Meeting Place as yet but have heard of it.Have done a few drives to explore this beautiful country.. Samana was amazing!! We did the excursion to Salto El Limon and highly recommend!!

welcome to the forums!!!  Sharing your experiences so far is awesome, thanks.  As you go thru the residencia process don't forget to update us and feel free to ask any questions you want.

I will be back on the north coast about the 9th of September for 5 or 6 days........I am pretty sure we can organize  a get together............

Hello everyone.
Just discovered this website after starting to seriously consider an exit strategy from the frozen north (for those of you who don't understand, that's Alberta,Canada). Yes, it's not the end of the earth, but you can see it from here.  My wife has been to DR twice now, both times without me ( :mad: ) and has really take a shine to thinking about moving there.  I am at the point of being ready for some warm weather year 'round, she may win me over without too much persuasion. 

Anyway, I'm a DR wannabe, currently working as a physiotherapist in a private clinic situation.  I have too many interests and hobbies that keep me busy along with 3 children (two are adults at home right now).  I have been slowly browsing through some of the posts and appreciate the wealth of information found here. Looking at some of the real estate available gets me interested in fruit tree/ coconut farming.  Beats the potatoes and carrots I have struggling in the ground right now. Well, that's a pipe dream right now but it could change.

Who knows, maybe my wife and I can meet up with some of you in the future for lunch.  Something to look forward to.

R

There are a number of dental clinics that specialize in implants in Santiago, as well as in the capital.

dental clinic

I do not have any personal knowledge of this clinic, but on the DR1 forum they seem to have had some happy customers.

R:
Yeah, I hear ya!
10-12 years ago I got frosbite once too often
so we started coming here a lot.
Long story short, I found a new lady here on the North Coast
& moved here full time 3-4 years ago.
You have a choice, near the ocean with not so good farming
or up in the mountains with 3- 5 yearly harvests of most vegetables.
1-2 of fruits.
It's a great Island!
I don't think you would have much employment here in your profession.

Welcome to the forums, I'm a Canadian with almost 11 years here.  Lots of great info, let us know any questions you may have!!!

Hello everybody,

First of all, let me introduce myself... My name is Kristien, I'm from Belgium and I'm seriously considering moving to the DR as well, together with my sixteen years old daughter, whose father (which I divorced from) is from the DR (Higue).

As we are from Belgium, I was wondering if there are more Belgian people living over there, especially in the area of Bavaro, Bayahibe... Most people who react on this forum are from the US or Canada I believe, or not???

We are planning to come over by the end of the year, at least for 1 month, to see if it works out for us, before making the "big" move...

Hope to hear from you soon!

HI Kristen welcome to the forums.  The people who respond most are from North American and England, but there are others from all over the world.

In the Punta Cana area there are some others from Belgium but I cannot say how many.  In Higue I think you will be hard pressed to find any.

If we can help, just ask away!  Read the forums and let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you very much planner!

I was told I should introduce myself so here I go:
I go by Dua on this site.
I'm American.
I stumbled upon a few posts that interested me and I joined in.
I really have never thought about moving to DR, but after seeing the helpfulness of the members here, I do hope I can at least visit.
Who knows what the future brings.
I did live in a Dominican area in NYC for a while.
Does that qualify me to stay?
I'm quite envious of all activity and commraderie.
I wish it was this way in the other forums.

Welcome Dua Dua.  You definitely need to visit this country!!  Its amazing in so many ways and it is very different depending where you visit!

I hear ya, R, we are also looking to make our escape from the cold. We are near Ottawa, ON and I'm pretty sure most of last winter hovered around -40 C. We have a brother who lives in Ft Mac and have heard about the weather there as well. If we make the leap before you we will keep this forum updated with our experiences.

Sheri

Or maybe not.
Just read about huge tarantulas!
I'm terrified of spiders, especially big hairy ones!

You dont often see tarantulas. But we do get some big ugly hairy beasts! Yuck...

Sheri doesn't like the phrase "don't often see"...She would rather hear "never see" when it comes to huge spiders...lol

Toby

Toby i agree with Sheri!

KatieJay

We have "talked before" but let me officially welcome you to the forum we look forward to hearing about your "adventure'

Bob K

R,

Welcome and I know what your are talking about.  We moved here from the mountains of Colorado now over 8 years ago so I feel you pain with the snow and cold.  In fact I spend some of November, January in Edmonton visiting a sick friend  and froze my ass and other anatomical parts off.
So you have a good plan.  Please feel free to ask lots of questions.

Bob K

Kristen,
Welcome to the forum.  The DR if it is "right" for you is a great place to move to.  There is a bit of a Belgium community here on the north coast in the Cabarete area as well as some in the Samana area as well. You will fine the north coast a real melting post with folks living here from Canada, USA, UK, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Russia, Italy, and probably a dozen other countries as well.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Bob K

Dua do come visit.  It you don't look you won't see any spiders :D, just maybe some two legged sharks

Bob K

Enjoy your little vacation !

Bienvenue sur le blog Kristen ! My husband and I are from France but we have been living in the US for many years. We too would like to move to the DR. We will be there next year to check things out. In the meantime, we keep on doing our homework to prepare better.

Thanks Bob,
I would love to come but right now I'm suppose to be in Libya.
Grrr
The fighting has delayed my move.

I'm more afraid of spiders but I suppose I need to be afraid of the sharks.
Hispanic men are my weakness and I tend to be very trusting and naive.
It sounds like a dangerous combo for visiting DR. ;)
I will have to wait until I can bring my husband.
I have a better idea, why don't you move to Libya?
There is very little activity in that forum!
We need friendly experts in there like you!
OK, I admit, that was a selfish idea, not a good one.
Thanks for the welcome. :)

I will pass on the invite but thanks. Not on my bucket list of places to visit.

And yes be very careful of the Dominican men here, and for you guys be very careful of the women.

Bob K

Bonjour institutlouisville, I am planning a visit within 2 or 3 months to check out if the country "fits" us before making the big move. We will be there for at least 1 or 2 months. I have only been in the south area, punta cana, bavaro, higue... But never have I been on the north coast. I am planning to visit the north coast as well. Maybe I like it even better!
I will keep you posted about my visit later on!

Bob K, thank you very much! I will definitely visit the north area as well! Seems to me also a great place to live
K

Keep us posted on you plans and feel free to ask any questions on the DR.

Bob K

I will definitely keep you posted! Thank you for the great help you  are giving us!

You are welcome and have a great day!

Bob K

I live in Montreal and I would love to live in DR Santo Domingo

Welcome Kuda,  i live in Santo Domingo now, originally from Canada as well.   Ask away my friend, we are here to help if we can.

I see mostly here are people are coming with the money and me I would like to relocate there to work and make living from the salary that I would make. Is it possible to achive that without knowing spanish language or I should forget about my dream lol

I responded in the thread you opened!  And yes it is possible.

Kuda,
Welcome and why the DR?

Bob K

well it is long story - I am just trying to run away from my past ( i am kind of depressed ) and i was thinking to start my life again some place that is exotic and hot (maybe the sun will bring me some life energy) the thing is i am broke too and i know it is not easy to get to another country and start just like that. I have been on vacation in Bocca Chicca about 7 years ago and just 2 weeks ago i have meet one girl from Santo Doming she was visiting Montreal. Yesterday she left back to Montreal and really even we had to use google translator we had amazing 2 weekends and I got that hope for starting my new life. I have no clue if she would be serious to be with me that why i know one thing i have to count on myself only.

Let me give you a couple of words of advice.  DON'T MOVE HERE  based on this situation.  First off you baggage will follow you here and only get worse.

Second this is not the place for a broke, depressed person to start over

Third  the chances of you having a meaningful relationship in the situation you are in with this Dominican girl are absolutely ZERO!!!!

Sorry to be so blunt but will only compound your problems by moving here at this time.  Maybe sometime in the future when your life is straighten out might be possible.  But you are  only asking for trouble now.

Bob K

Sounds great Kristen.. We are also going to be on the north side nest spring. You are lucky you can have an extended stay.  We cannot be away from the US for so long.. at least for now ! :)

Closed