In how many foreign countries have you lived for longer than 1year?

In how many foreign countries have you lived for longer than 1year?

Only Malaysia though not up to one year. Thanks for the question

Quiete a lot man like france, namibia, cote d ivoire, ghana , egypt, singapour.
Thanks

11- Nigeria, Iran, Belgium, Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, The USA, Greece, Bahrain, PRC, Hong Kong, Australia

4 - Tanzania, Singapore, India and USA

I have lived in Bahrain, Kuwait &  Kenya abroad apart from India my home town

hi everyone,

Most of you lived in more than one country, then how could you manage in terms of language and food?

Living in a foreign country and not knowing the language should not be a hinderance to you managing to survive. Lots of people go on holiday to a country where they neither know the local customs nor the language and they don't starve to death. I've found a system of sign language and pointing at things combined with some unusual antics like imitating a chicken in a restaurant, etc, to work quiet well. Apart from getting you the food you can eat it also lends a lot of amusement to the situation.

A phrase book with the items in your language and the foreign one helps a lot. You can point to the translation and show it to the local person.

It's amazing how easy it becomes after you've worked up the nerve to make an absolute fool of yourself in public!!

Three for me (not counting my country of Birth). The UK, Korea and Taiwan.

6 for more than a year and 6 more for a shorter period (my projects usually take 6-12 months).

Ten, including my country of birth

Two. Turkey and Colombia.

England, Germany, US and Canada.

A little late here Jessica, but BenMore has it called. You make do and embarrass yourself sometimes. Even if you do know the language, sometimes the words don't mean the same things and the there are cultural adjustments to deal with anyway.

Starting in 1969, I flew to Las Palmas, Gran Canaria Spain where both of my children were born and lived there for 5 years and absolutey loved it!!  My father gave me some wonderful advice, which was, " If you are going to go overseas and just spend your time with Americans,and not learn the language and the customs, you would have done better to have stayed home."  By the time my second child was born, I could pretty much manage most conversations.  We met and became close friends with a Canarian couple who later married, and who had her first child in my bed in my own home.  To this day, I have the same friends and even became the madrina to their first born.  I visited them as recently as Sept. 2011.
Later we went to Abu Dhabi and Dubai, where we lived for 3 years, until the oil business started slowing down a bit. This was from 1975-78 when we returned to the states.
  Even later in 1989, due to my husband's employment we went to Saudi Arabia for 5 years and loved the entire experience.
  I believe that the world is a big place, and we need to experience different cultures and languages.

4 Years in USA

Netherlands, Zambia, St. Kitts, Barbados, Scotland, England, Nigeria, Spain, Costa Rica and Norway.

For me 56 years in the USA and 8+ years in the  Dominican Republic.  Some where in Europe next ?????

Bob K

All my flags except Spain, where we lived only six months. The countries are: Australia (four separate places), England (three separate places), Canada, Bahamas, New Hebrides (now Vanuatu) and Cayman. We never had to speak any language besides English, except for some pidgin with the native servants in New Hebs - and a bit of pidgin Spanish in the tourist-town (out of season) in Spain.

Mine is a rather pathetic (by this forum's standard), of one.
I have spent about six months in Malaysia (A great country), but in two month segments.
I also spent a week in Wales - that seemed like a year.

I am now up to 12.

Living in China for 5 years and had lived for 16 cities with different experiences encouraged me to explore more ready to go to other countries.
language made me crazy during my first month,so i decided to learned by myself and until now i'm enjoying,no problem for foods for i'm cooking by myself.

i have lived in Saudi Arabia 10 years in Iran 2 years

Foreign countries?  Zero.

Britain, Israel, South Africa, Singapore, Kenya, Tanzania and Switzerland and in that order.

Oman.singapore and now Taiwan

Malta and Ghana

Only france for 2 good years!

Two.

Two.  Flags below my post tell the story.

cccmedia

Three. Kuwait, Netherlands n Turkey

It's not so much the number of countries that makes an expat, is it? It's more the pleasure or satisfaction one has gotten from one or more of them. England was my first foreign place of residence, and the experience was exciting - a bunch of us young colonials living the life of Riley. Then Canada, which gave me/us a sense of what life was like in British North America. Then Bahamas, with its rum-and-coca-cola lifestyle and its relatively fat salaries. Later, the Anglo-French "condominium" of the New Hebrides (now independent as Vanuatu), our last stop without a child to slow us down! While we were there, some teacher-friends from Nassau days came down from PNG (Papua - New Guinea) and stayed with us for a few days. The husband has died, but his widow reminisces with us when she visits her daughter here in Cayman.

Each of the places was our home, for as long as we stayed there, and we feel a loyalty to all of them. Nice.

Oman.  It feels like 100yrs, I Thank God for keeping me strong, for e perseverance n sanity. Cant wait to see my people again next year

Further to my comment in September, I should have mentioned that my website (blog) contains several reminiscences of our life in the places we have called home - London, Toronto, Nassau, Port-Vila - as well as my childhood in Australia and our current home in Cayman. What probably gave us the greatest pleasure was our time in Nassau, which I brushed over in "Rum and Coca Cola", posted in August this year and which is available in the Archives for that month. Does anybody else have a place where their reminiscences of past homes are recorded?

The UK is the only one greater than one year. Thanks

I mentioned above that we lived in Vanuatu (then called for New Hebrides) for three years in the 1970s. A friend of mine began a website to record stories from people who had been there. Unfortunately, he's not well these days, so the venture may be abandoned soon. But I've contributed a few little items, which may be of interest to some on this site. Link below:
http://neilbegley.com.au/stories/

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR