Is a quiet, simple life possible in PR on a modest income?

I posted in another thread, which may have been incorrect. I'm very new at forums. In any event, I'd like to move to PR in October or November. My goal would be to remain there for at least a year; but some of the posts I've read are a bit discouraging.

I am, however, an optimist and am very adaptable. I'm an independent author with a small monthly income (enough to live in New Mexico with only a part-time job to make things more comfortable).

What I'd like to find is a quiet, simple, safe place to live in PR for around $700 per month. Is that possible?

If so, what area(s) do you recommend? It seems Rincon is a good area for an English speaker; but I'm not sure about the prices there. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, the main point of PR for me is to be within walking distance of the beach. So, that's a factor also.

Thanks!

Hello Sloan1932

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I invite you to drop in an advert in our section Housing in Puerto Rico so as to increase your chances to find a nice rental.

Feel free to browse through the threads in our Cost of Living in Puerto Rico section as well as Everyday life in Puerto Rico so as to gather informations that might be useful to you.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here.

Best Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you!

Hi Sloan,

$700 is not gonna be enough if you need to rent a place to live, pay utilities, food, medical insurance etc.
I'd say you would need at least $500 more per month and even then you will have to be very, very careful.

I guess life in New Mexico is cheaper than here on the island.

Hi, Sloan, and welcome!  The $700 per month, is that for rent alone?  At least that is what I inferred from it :)  I think you could find some reasonable places in Rincon for that amount.  If you start looking for vacation rentals and find long term rentals from there, some are in that price range. VRBO.com, Homeaway.com, etc.  We are also going to be looking for long term rentals in the Rincon area, too, hopefully, in the near future.

You should easily be able to find a suitable place to rent in Rincon for $700. But as Gary mentioned, the cost of food and utilities added to that is astronomical compared to where you are.Then you will have to have medical insurance where in most places you will receive sub par care. Plus it's getting very difficult to find a quiet and peaceful place close   to the beach anywhere.

Short answer: No.

Ditto to NomadLawyer.Go there and check it out for yourself. That's the only real way to find out. You shouldn't rely soley on us. Drive by the beach at night and listen to the loud music and bass coming from the clubs, the reggaeton playing at concert volume coming from the cars and the 4 tracks driving around. Safe areas to live are shrinking rapidly on the island.

Now if you live in an area like Gary does, things are a bit quieter and safer, providing you are accepted by the locals and that's not always a given. And you won't have a beach nearby.

Schuttzie, thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I meant $700 for rent. Based on several other posts, I was looking in the Rincon area. I saw an adorable studio/cabana there for $600 on CL this morning and was wondering if it could be legit. Your response helped. I'll keep looking in the Rincon area. Small and simple is just fine with me. Thanks again for your input. I sincerely appreciate it. This is a big move for me but one I feel very good about, on a soul level. Take care and hope to visit again soon!

Sloan1932 wrote:

Yes, I meant $700 for rent

Sorry, I didn't get that.
Yes, for 700 dollars you should be able to rent something nice. I rented a whole house for less some years ago.

That's good news, Gary. Thanks! How about public transportation? Is it pretty easy to get around Rincon? I'm planning on buying a bike asap, once I find a place. If possible, however, I plan to not get a vehicle for a while (unless it's absolutely necessary). Input?
Thanks for your response. It is sincerely appreciated. Have a wonderful evening!

Thanks Gregg. I appreciate your input. Based upon what's showing up for rent, right now, there seems to be some availability for studio cabanas with utilities for around $700 a month, which is great. However, I am generally aware of the high costs of utilities in PR. I believe I'll be fine in that regard because (1) I'm used to living in 80 - 90 degree temps without A/C and (2) I won't have the winter heat utilities I've been dealing with the last couple of years here in New Mexico (pretty high given the inefficiency of most casitas here). So it should all even out. In any event, thank you again for responding. Have a great evening!

Thank you Kenjee!

Gregg, thanks again. My plan is to reserve a hotel for the first 10 days anyway because I want to be able to see units and meet owners in person. I won't have a car to drive at night, but that's a good idea (I can always take a cab ride, right?). I definitely don't want to end up somewhere that has no peace and quiet. Thanks for giving me the heads up about the night life.

Riding a bike is a good way to get around, except maybe during the rainy season. I myself ride a bike a lot for exercise. However I personally wouldn't ride one around much if I lived in PR. It is pretty risky although plenty of people in Rincon do it. The streets are narrow, crowded, not well maintained and I don't know if you have heard about the drivers in PR but they are notoriously bad. I wouldn't ride a motorcycle or scooter there for the same reasons. But depending where you live most things you need are within reasonable riding distance in Rincon if you are in decent shape. It can be a bit hilly in some places, even close to the water. Look up "El Coqui of Rincon". It's a monthly well put together newspaper you can view on line. It will give you a good feel for the area.

Sloan1932 wrote:

That's good news, Gary. Thanks! How about public transportation? Is it pretty easy to get around Rincon? I'm planning on buying a bike asap, once I find a place. If possible, however, I plan to not get a vehicle for a while (unless it's absolutely necessary). Input?

Because of the climate, the bad roads and the way people are driving cars I decided not to get  a (motor) bike in this country.
Public transport outside the metro are is not good. I don't know about Rincon specifically, haven't been there in  a couple of years, but many tourist destinations have some form of free public transport.
Having (access to) a car is important here on the island if you need/want to get around.

Thanks, Gary!

Generally we find almost everything costs more here than in the states. I think the western side of the island where you are looking is more expensive than the eastern side where we are. However, we have no public transportation. try to find a person who would rent an attached apt or room. (Moderated: please post in the housing section). A deal like that might work out for you. If you were on some land you could have access to fruit which cuts down on the food bill. You might want to check out the crime rate where you are looking to live. A female gringa riding a bike could be a target. If you live in town you'll pay more but will be able to walk to where ever you need to go. My overall feeling is that you should stash away enough money to buy a ticket home before you come here. It's a beautiful island but is in economic meltdown. Oh...make sure you are near a hospital or have access to one. Medical care here is poor but it's better than nothing. Look in Classificadosonline.com and look for apts in the town you want to live in, then factor in electric, about three times what you pay in the states. Add 30 to 40% to your food bill and you should be close to a budget. If you need internet, make sure that Liberty Cable services your area. They are the most reliable and most affordable. It can be hard to get computers serviced here. It would be good to establish a relationship with a company in the states that will mail to PR. Apple will not but they have a few stores on the island. You've got a lot of guts doing what you're doing, I hope it works out.

Very well put dolt201. I recommend that anyone who goes to PR to have a plan B and enough cash stashed to make your escape if needed. Things can go wrong very quickly especially if you are by yourself. The worst situation you want to be in is running out of money and not having enough income to either support yourself or get off the island. There are many things unforeseen that can happen there. Many people who have a strong will and desire to go there to live will tell you that they can handle just about anything. I'm here to tell you it doesn't work that way. And yes things actually do cost that much more. Those figures are pretty accurate. and yes. as a Gringa that stands out like a sore thumb you will definitely be a prime target for a number of things.

Thank you dolt. There was a lot of great information in your post. I had already planned on budgeting about what you recommended. Based upon my research, it seems that Rincon is going to be the best area for me. Based upon another post I saw, I may be able to find a cheap used car sooner, rather than later. I'm sure it's not the same; but I do live in a very rural area of New Mexico, which is a bit like the wild west. No doubt, this move will have it's challenges and things will be much different there. I am, however, tougher than I look.
Thanks again for your wonderful input and insights. I will definitely use much of your advice.

Thanks, Gregg. I will be in PR for as long as I need to be in PR. That could be one week or ten years. I will be prepared, either way. Have a great week!

Sloan, I think you have a great attitude about living and adjusting to a new enviornment.  I believe my husband and I are of that mindset, also.  It will serve us well when we finally make the move.  Are you going to visit soon so you can check out the area?

Thanks Schuttzie. I'll be there November 3rd. I'm going with a plan to stay; but with a way to return (if returning becomes necessary). In a situation like this, there really is no way to know until you try it. Experience has taught me that a positive attitude, some street smarts, some research, and a good amount of flexibility can go a very long way. It's what I'm counting on for my move to PR. Fortunately, I have income coming in that does not depend upon where I live. As long as I have communication capabilities and internet, I'm fine in that regard. So, that gives me some breathing room on paying for the bare necessities. If you're interested in keeping in touch, just PM me and we can trade contact information. If I'm still there when you arrive, I will gladly help in whatever reasonable ways I can. Take care!

Hi Sloan:

Just saw your post referencing your need for internet. I live in Bayamón (metro San Juan area) and use Liberty for cable/internet.  If you have the opportunity, ask around your local area which providers are the most reliable.  I have been having lots of problems with my internet and it goes out almost every day.  Their customer service is not that great, to put it mildly.  I normally spend one hour on hold before someone answers.

In the area you are looking to go, there may be other companies that are more reliable.

Best of luck with your relocation!

Thanks trekrider520! I'll do some research on it.

One option for internet that I use when I am in PR is a portable wireless hotspot (MiFi) from AT&T. It works well wherever AT&T coverage is good, and is often as fast as the local network (or faster). It costs about $50 for 5GB, which is not that much for streaming music or movies but more than enough for everything else. This circumvents the need to depend on (perhaps) questionable local providers as the cell network (in my experience) is highly reliable in PR.

I'm glad you brought that up, Anolis. I was thinking of it earlier today. My neighbor is a traveling nurse, and she loves her Verizon hot spot. It costs about the same. It seems to me that would be my best option, if Verizon is available in Rincon. I'm not a fan of AT&T, at all. Thank you, very much, for your input. At least I know now there are some people using hot spots successfully in PR.

For anyone who's interested: I just did a little research, and it looks like Walmart sells a T-Mobile 4G Hotspot that is supposed to work in the Rincon zip code. It goes for $80 and comes with 5GB of data (that's supposed to last 3 months). I'm going to try it. Since there's no contract required, seems like a safer way to go.

Sloan, one company to stay away from for internet is Claro. They are the WORST!!! We live in Quebradilla which east of Isabella and Rincon and that is all we can get here. We are so upset with
them. The internet goes down all the timeand when you call they say there is someone coming out and never shows.

We tried to get Choice and they said that we were 1000 ft. from the junction box and they can only go 250 ft. So we had to with Claro but want to get something else

One.of neighbors have Choice and we ate trying to get everyone.on this street to call them to see if they will come out and connect us but being in PR, everything is at their convenience, not yours. So all we can do is use the shotty net and hope for a better way

Best of luck in your search for a home. We got our house thru clasificados.com and they have the best selection.

Welcome to Puerto Rico. We have been here since May but in our house since June. Take care

Thanks, Tonie. I'm sorry to hear about all those issues with your internet. I know how frustrating that can be. Fortunately, I'm used to a lot of what you're describing. The "at their pace" thing (or manana time) is something I've become used to. It's that way here in northern New Mexico, and I was on domestic islands for two years before I came here (same there). I call it being on "island time." I suppose it's a trade off for the more laid back lifestyle that makes island life so appealing in the first place. Have a wonderful week, and thanks again for the warm welcome.

Great information on the hotspot thing, Sloan.  We may end up with something like that, too.  Thank you for sharing!  Have a great day :)

About "hot spots" (or internet via mobile networks), I have been using this from Sprint for a couple of months now and I like it a lot. Reliable, high speeds, a lot better than (Claro) DSL!
Most of the mobile providers offer these kind of plans and there's one common "feature", the so called data cap.
You'll get 5, 6 GB of bandwidth included in the plan and when you exceed this you will have to pay (a lot!) or quit using internet until the new period starts.

5 or 6 GB per month is not a lot unless you limit your internet use to email, a couple of forums and maybe Facebook.
As soon as you are starting to watch Youtube or other provider's videos or listen to  streaming music your data usage will go up.

For heavy internet users like me (I make and host websites among other things) 6 GB per week  is hardly enough. In a normal month I use 50 GB or more.
Now, I have a special plan for businesses with Sprint that includes unlimited data so there's no problem.

Keep good track of your internet usage if you get a plan with a data cap!

That's good information, Gary. I wasn't sure how much use 5GB would get me. I use the internet quite a bit too; so, I'll probably need to look into a business plan too. Thanks for the info!

Sloan1932 wrote:

I wasn't sure how much use 5GB would get me.

My plan is (was?) a special from Sprint for businesses (a DBA will do the trick) that have a business account at one of the cooperativas (credit unions)  on the island or with a credit union in the lower 48.

All in all it took me over a month to get it organized. One of the problems was that the cooperativa where I got a business account wasn't in the Sprint internal list of approved credit unions. You may run into the same problem when you want to use a cooperativa in Rincon. If you plan to keep your address in NM you may want to register a DBA over there and get an account with a credit union and then apply for the unlimited mobile data plan at Sprint.

One way or another it's worth the trouble. I pay $50 monthly for unlimited mobile data. My office here with 8+ computers runs on it with a special router that has a port for the Netgear data card that came with the plan. Without that router I could only use the data card in one computer at the time.

Your first step would be checking with Sprint if they are still offering this plan and take it from there.

Thanks Gary! Great information. I'll look into all of it.

"Experience has taught me that a positive attitude, some street smarts, some research, and a good amount of flexibility can go a very long way."

Very, very true. I was almost discouraged from moving here from a lot of negative things I read, but have absolutely LOVED living in PR. Some things are different, some things are a bit more expensive, but that is the case almost anywhere you go and like you said, positivity, research, and flexibility can go a long way. Best of luck!

Thanks Blukie! I'm still trying to get my head around all of it. The good news is that PR isn't going anywhere. I'm glad you're enjoying your time in such a beautiful and majestic environment. I have been to San Juan, which explains my attraction to the Isle of Enchantment. One day, for certain, I'll spend at least a few months there. It may or may not be right now (vacillating). But thanks for the Good Juju! I know that PR has it's challenges, but it is most certainly worth a little effort and a reasonable amount of sacrifice, I would think. I believe some people forget, sometimes, that most things worth having require a little effort and trade off. Take care!

Sloan1932 wrote:

I know that PR has it's challenges, but it is most certainly worth a little effort and a reasonable amount of sacrifice, I would think. I believe some people forget, sometimes, that most things worth having require a little effort and trade off.

Very true! Despite the problems on this island I've been here for thirteen years and I still like it. For me nothing beats getting up in the morning, putting on a pair of shorts and have a coffee on the porch looking out over the mountains of East Puerto Rico and I can do that 365 days per year!
If you have a job or another way of acquiring income and you can live with the sub-standard medical care and long waiting times and other minor problems then this is a great place to be.

That's what I'm talking about Gary. Have a great day (looking out at the ocean and basking in the sun)!

Sloan1932 wrote:

That's what I'm talking about Gary. Have a great day (looking out at the ocean and basking in the sun)!

Thanks, you have a great day, too.
I can't see the ocean from here and there's not a lot of sun today but it's a wonderful quiet day up here!