Info on everyday living in costa rica please

Hello to everyone.
I shall be moving to Costa Rica or Honduras this time next year. I would love any info on either country please. I've read the government websites and tourist brochures but id like to have some contacts on the ground who know how the country actually works. The basic info I'm after is;
Can i buy a boat, preferably motor yacht, 30 ft, for £25,000 sterling?
I'm looking for a boat to live on and the websites tell me i can but is this actually accurate as i realise this isn't a massive amount of money but its the budget i have.
While the perpetual tourist I'm sure isn't  welcome, until residency becomes an option can I stay in Costa Rica for 90 days then sail to Honduras, do the same there and then repeat, or is this frowned  upon?
Can I moor anywhere?
I appreciate any and all information you may have.
Many, many thanks.
Paul.

Why Honduras?  It is one of the most dangerous countries in the world, with the world's 2nd highest murder rate...only bested by Syria.

Was there in April for the 2nd time and a crew member from the Norwegian America Pearl was shot to death while we were ashore.  Our 1st trip there was probably 10 years ago and it was not particularly dangerous at that time.

While current Costa Rican residents (and I'm not one) may tell you there is petty crime and theft in Costa Rica, Honduras is generally believed to be much more dangerous and life-threatening.

flashingblade wrote:

Hello to everyone.
I shall be moving to Costa Rica or Honduras this time next year. I would love any info on either country please. I've read the government websites and tourist brochures but id like to have some contacts on the ground who know how the country actually works. The basic info I'm after is;
Can i buy a boat, preferably motor yacht, 30 ft, for £25,000 sterling?
I'm looking for a boat to live on and the websites tell me i can but is this actually accurate as i realise this isn't a massive amount of money but its the budget i have.
While the perpetual tourist I'm sure isn't  welcome, until residency becomes an option can I stay in Costa Rica for 90 days then sail to Honduras, do the same there and then repeat, or is this frowned  upon?
Can I moor anywhere?
I appreciate any and all information you may have.
Many, many thanks.
Paul.

Hi, Being a perpetual tourist is still possible but riskier than it once was.
The risk? They might not let you back in.
I'm guessing the chances of this are pretty slim and you should be okay, but just remember it IS a risk.

As for boats and Honduras I know nothing.
I've heard Belize is okay, not sure about Honduras.

Boats are expensive here and there are no marinas that offer those convenience to those who 'live aboard' at this time.
If you moor your boat, leaving it unsecured, it is likely to be empty when you return.

Yes most marinas offer "live aboard". All it takes is electricity and water. But, slips a very expensive. Yes boats are expensive and $42K is a bit slim, but can b done. A 30' sailboat could easily fit in that budget.

Hola a todos, soy de méxico, que tal la vida en costar rica?, saludos

@ Alejandro Bautista > Please post in english only on this english speaking forum please. If you wish to communicate in spanish,please feel free to create a new thread here : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2080

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Priscilla wrote:

@ Alejandro Bautista > Please post in english only on this english speaking forum please. If you wish to communicate in spanish,please feel free to create a new thread here : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2080

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

If he doesn't read English he's not going to understand your reply! I'll translate (in imperfect Spanish):
Alejandro, este grupo es por hablar solamente en ingles. Si quieres escribir en español, favor de escribir aqui:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2080

Hello Paul,  If you choose Costa Rica you'd better rent down here for a couple of months to check out the information you are looking for.  I've never heard of anyone living on a boat in Costa Rica, but I guess there is a place somewhere.  I know the marina's on the Pacific coast are not cheap, especially at Los Suenos.
Good luck