License doubt

i have an international license from the UAE. is it possible for me to drive in the USA with it? or should i apply for a new one?

If you have a valid UAE Driver's License to go along with your International Driver's Permit (IDP) yes you can drive in the USA. You are only permitted to drive motor vehicles which are stated on the IDP and your national DL.

How can I apply for IDP if I have EU driving licence?
- do They require local residency prove?
- what is the validity period for an IDP?

Thanks a lot in advance!

international driving permits are basically just a translation of your license, and are generally obtained in your home country (presumably the country that issued it).

note that these are only valid if you are a VISITOR in the USA. If you are residing there, most states (if not all-I can't say I've read them all but I suspect it applies country wide) require you to have a local license.

Every state has its own driving regulations.  It's worth looking at whatever specific state you want to drive in.  A lot of people assume all the rules are nationwide, but they're not.

Yes EVERY state requires you to have a local (from that state) license if you reside in the state.   Your international permit may have a time limit (90 - 120) days.

Bob K

EU, UK (and it territories), AU, and NZ licenses do not require an IDP in the United States as they are in English or contain the translation.

Other English speaking countries do require an IDP regardless. This is known throughout local, state and Federal law enforcement within the United States.

usmc_mv wrote:

EU, AU, and NZ licenses do not require an IDP in the United States as they are in English or contain the translation.

Other English speaking countries do require an IDP regardless. This is known throughout local, state and Federal law enforcement within the United States.

And Canada is a given, no explanation needed - you do not need any sort of IDP.

Thank you