How safe is India?

My female friend and I will attent a wedding in Kolkatta first week of June. Stay there for four days and then explore Nepal for four days How safe is Kolcatta? I read on the news quite often that is not a safe country (especially for girls). Whats your experience of India?

Yes it is scary, not only in kolkatta, all over India. If you are attending wedding means you should move with crowd, my best suggestion is to Install some women safety apps in your mobile phones. In that some of them are viz:
bsafe
Guardly
Cab4me
Circle of 6
Hollaback
Etc...

Please take some precautions and hope you are safe. Indians overseas say that this whole thing about foreigners getting raped is being blown way out of proportion. And if you could the number of times that foreigners are attacked in this way I think the number is actually not large. You just need to take precautions which means don't put yourself in the situation where things might happen.

Hai Helen

Its nice to message ;)  another Helen.
By the by my name is also Helen...

With respect to your question India is a warm and hospitable country but like in all countries mishap does occur but am sure if your cautious and trust your instincts you will certainly not end up in any unfortunate situations.
Also as suggested by other fellow mates use women safety apps... it definitely helps.

Few precautions would be;

1) Always cover yourself appropriately that means you ensure that you do not overly expose     your body. Though your arrival is by the end of summer you will still experience the aftermath of heat therefore cotton clothes would be better.
2) During your travels ensure that you note the auto/cab numbers along with the drivers name and the time of taking the vehicle. Also ensure that the driver is aware of you being backed up by a localite. This applies to private transports...
3) Never disclose any details of you except for your name and where you hail from.. Because only if they get to know more details of you, will they at as a threat. If they persuade you more, then simply ask them to stop the vehicle and take another one...

Hope this was helpful for you....

A little advise from a foreigner living in India (Agra to be exact). The same things that can happen to you in any large US city can happen to you here.  Take the same precautions at night that you would in say New York.  That being said, there are a few things you can do to improve your safety.

1. Stay in well populated and well light areas if you are going somewhere at night and travel with someone if at all possible.
2. When taking a cab, as above posters have suggested just note the cab number before you get in, and let him SEE you do it.  It should be painted on the back of the auto.  When you get in, get your phone out and even if you have no one to call, act like you are saying that you caught the auto and are on your way there so should be there in X number of minutes.
3. Please do try to dress with some modesty.  Kolkata will be HOT when you are there but flashing too much skin only brings unwanted attention.  It is an excuse to do a little shopping anyway and outfit yourself with some salwar suits.  Totally comfy and cute.
4. They WILL stare.  Do not engage. I swear for the most part it only encourages them if you lock eyes.  Go ahead and smile at women or children but NOT at men.
5. Try to relax and have a great time!  If you focus on all this too much it will ruin your trip.  India is a wonderful place to visit and see (so is Nepal BTW) and most people never encounter too much trouble.

If you  do end up in Kathmandu and need a good hotel check out Hotel Encounter (not paid to recommend them, just love them to death) and tell Pramod the owner I and Sanjay sent you!

avoid taking local cabs during night, instead you can go for private cabs as they are registered along with driver's name and details in their office. Here is one
+91 22 42424242 MEGA CAB in Kolkata
No India isn't that safe anymore, daily when I go through headlines there has to be at least 1 or 2 rape
and murder cases. Carry knife, volini or baygon sprays ( they are better than pepper sprays trust me, because
pepper spray can only cause irritation, pain and tears, But these can actually damage eyes )

You read correctly. India has become the RCW (Rape Capital of the World) with Delhi as the Rape Capital of the Rape Capital of the World. Kolkata is not much better, especially with Her Royal Highness Mamata Banerjee saying that reports of rapes are part of a conspiracy against her regime.
If you do stay in Kolkata then I would suggest that you stay in the Sudder Street area. If you can afford it then I highly recommend the Fairlawn Hotel. It is about USD50 each night. That may be inexpensive to some, but it is among the more costly in Kolkata.

Lindsayg wrote:

A little advise from a foreigner living in India (Agra to be exact). The same things that can happen to you in any large US city can happen to you here.  Take the same precautions at night that you would in say New York.  That being said, there are a few things you can do to improve your safety.

1. Stay in well populated and well light areas if you are going somewhere at night and travel with someone if at all possible.
2. When taking a cab, as above posters have suggested just note the cab number before you get in, and let him SEE you do it.  It should be painted on the back of the auto.  When you get in, get your phone out and even if you have no one to call, act like you are saying that you caught the auto and are on your way there so should be there in X number of minutes.
3. Please do try to dress with some modesty.  Kolkata will be HOT when you are there but flashing too much skin only brings unwanted attention.  It is an excuse to do a little shopping anyway and outfit yourself with some salwar suits.  Totally comfy and cute.
4. They WILL stare.  Do not engage. I swear for the most part it only encourages them if you lock eyes.  Go ahead and smile at women or children but NOT at men.
5. Try to relax and have a great time!  If you focus on all this too much it will ruin your trip.  India is a wonderful place to visit and see (so is Nepal BTW) and most people never encounter too much trouble.

If you  do end up in Kathmandu and need a good hotel check out Hotel Encounter (not paid to recommend them, just love them to death) and tell Pramod the owner I and Sanjay sent you!

Lindsay - Very Well Replied......

Helen Trinh wrote:

My female friend and I will attent a wedding in Kolkatta first week of June. Stay there for four days and then explore Nepal for four days How safe is Kolcatta? I read on the news quite often that is not a safe country (especially for girls). Whats your experience of India?

Hi.
Don`t think you are coming to jungle. All over the world people are different. Just give a respect to Indians and they  will greet you in return. My INDIA  is very kind and openhearted. Just RESPECT IT and no one even will hurt you. You have nothing to affraid.

Tatyana.

tatyanaki wrote:
Helen Trinh wrote:

Hi.
Don`t think you are coming to jungle. All over the world people are different. Just give a respect to Indians and they  will greet you in return. My INDIA  is very kind and openhearted. Just RESPECT IT and no one even will hurt you. You have nothing to affraid.

Tatyana.

Well said Tatyanaki ..............but i should also appriciate the way Helen also suggested.........

Regards,
Anil

This is too much...people are making India as a crime world to the foreigners.Rapes or other kinds of crimes will always be there somewhere around the world...I heard that after 8pm in US we can't go out as there will be gangs that stab us...still we can't say US is unsafe. Don't make a generalized statement my dear friends............

Really appreciate tatya words ... Guys will perceive you in a way how you want them to perceive you .. If you are clean and clear you will be getting respect else .. no guy will turn his eyes from off any girl :) whether its India or US or UK or anywhere ..

Helen .. you are safe .. trust me :) lol

Helen Trinh wrote:

Helen dear, India is a very pure country. The rate of rape in india in such a huge population is very low, compared to usa and other countries.
The real stats have been given by UN itself.
"When looking at reported rape cases per capita, Australia, Botswana and Lesotho rank highest. But tallying sheer totals, Europe and the Americas consistently top the charts."
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/gl … -rape-datahttp://www.statisticbrain.com/rape-statistics/http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htmhttp://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/healt … .html?_r=0

India has a huge population, however the punishment for rape is
not so stringent and because of recent incidents, India has been
highlighted.
The reality is, India is very safe and a very spiritual country.
India is very safe at all times and so is every country at all
times to the wonderful locals or wonderful tourists.
Enjoy India !

agentlemanGem wrote:

The reality is, India is very safe and a very spiritual country.
India is very safe at all times and so is every country at all
times to the wonderful locals or wonderful tourists.
Enjoy India !

:one

My advice just be cautious, like you wud be in any of the country in the world.

India is safe unless u have full plan n information where you are going.

Taani wrote:

avoid taking local cabs during night, instead you can go for private cabs as they are registered along with driver's name and details in their office. Here is one
+91 22 42424242 MEGA CAB in Kolkata
No India isn't that safe anymore, daily when I go through headlines there has to be at least 1 or 2 rape
and murder cases. Carry knife, volini or baygon sprays ( they are better than pepper sprays trust me, because
pepper spray can only cause irritation, pain and tears, But these can actually damage eyes )

Absolutely..i agree with you

Nothing to worry friend, You only have to take some precaution and will be little bit aware thats it