Living Expense in Kuala Lumpur - 2014

Can anyone give fair idea for living expense of family with 3 members (2 adults, 1 kid) per month
consider the following for reply
Rented house  (single bed room ) not Luxurious
Food expense for family (cooking at home)
public transport to office
schooling expense for 1 kid
Miscellaneous expense

Quick reply will be more helpful

Probably better to ask your questions on the Malaysia Forum if you're wanting information relevant to Kuala Lumpur. Click on the FORUM tab above then scroll down the page through the list of countries and click on MALAYSIA to open that forum

Check www.numbeo.com

Moved to the Kuala Lumpur forum.

Rented house - RM 1000-1500 (highly variable based on convenience, location, condition, age, etc.)
Food - RM 500 if fully vegetarian - RM1000 if buying meat, milk, eggs, etc.
Utiities - RM 150
Phone/Internet - RM300
Public transport to office - depends how far - guess average RM6 per trip
Schooling expense - RM1500 for tuition (+ initial registration fees and other fees)
Miscellaneous expense: School bus RM200, School Meals: RM250, School uniform/books RM 50

Also consider
Medical insurance, care or related supplies

Cost of Living is 50% higher in KL.

Depending on where you stay, public transportation can be highly unreliable (though they have been inroads in making them better). If you choose to go with your own vehicle, it can be very expensive as cost of vehicle ownership isn't cheap in MY. Note: choose your living area wisely as travelling in crazy rush hour (via a bus or cab) can take a good chunk of your time away just being on the road due to the traffic, so using a LRT/Monorail may be wiser.

Yah thats ture

Dear friend,

Thank you very much for valuable information

Thanks a lot

could you please give idea about tax deduction in malaysia

If less than 183 days is worked in first tax year (jan-Dec) then 26% flat rate is deducted and no allowances given as the person is non-tax resident.

In next tax year (2015) 26% tax flat rate is paid until 182 days worked then deductions revert to normal (i.e. graduated scale and RM9k tax-free threshold).  Claims for overpayment can be made by submitting tax return in April 2016.

Tax steps on annual salary for 2014  are:
0-5,000                    0%
5,001-10,000           2% (RM100)
10,001- 20,000        2% (RM100)
20,001-35,000         6% (RM300)
35,001-50,000       11% (RM1,200)
50,001-70,000       19% (RM2,850)
70,001-100,000     24% (RM6,650)
Exceeding 100k     26%

Source:
http://www.hasil.gov.my/goindex.php?kum … mp;sequ=11

Good news:
Personal tax rates are going to be reduced between 1 and 3 percentage points in 2015. That will mean the top income tax rate will become 25%.  You can read about the changes here:

http://www.nbc.com.my/blog/budget-2014- … #more-5265

I guess my answer would be a bit late... I post it anyway as it could help others ;)
Do you know which area you are planning to live? Where your office will be? These are the 2 most important questions and it can change your cost of living drastically.
Public transport are simply a nightmare in KL so you should consider buying a second hand car unless you live downtown. My office is a 10mins ride by car or 1hr15 with public transports! It gives you an idea of public transport efficiency in KL! Bus time tables are simply never respected and when it rains you have no taxis and buses have serious delays due to traffic jams...
For a one bedroom apartment depending on where you want to live it will be between 1.2k to 3.5k.
For a local kindergarten, you have to budget 1,200RM/month without school bus. School bus depending on distance from school is 200 or 300RM per month + meals if required (7-10RM per day).
Electricity/Cable TV/Internet/Mobile phones are rather expensive if compared with Europe or Australia. 600RM total.
Note: For a foreigner, you will have to give a deposit of 1,500RM to get a phone line in Malaysia! For a local, it is 70RM. Same for mobile phone. Same for school and landlords ask usually for a 3 months advance rent. So prepare a big envelop for all various deposits.
Food was once upon a time cheap in KL but I find it is now closer to Singapore prices (still cheaper 20-30%).
Also depending on your standards:
Meat from australia : 25RM a steak / Fresh milk australia 9RM/bottle. Veggies are quite cheap if local (papaya 5RM, pineapple 6RM, local broccoli 8/9RM per head). Imported chicken free range, guaranteed no antibiotics 23RM. A local chicken will cost 10RM.
Finding good fish in KL is nearly impossible. Imported salmon is available (defrost) at an average price of 23-28RM per slice!! Shrimps are not cheap either. Local shrimps are avail from 9RM/100gr.
You have to know though that local vegetables are grown in the Cameron Highlands. A recent official study found that all vegetables and salads coming from this area contain traces of 3 different types of insecticide... Knowing that, I now only buy imported vegetables (not from China either!), which means more expensive :(
Dinner is still cheap though. For a meal at a local hawker center you will eat for 10RM or less. Sushi dinner will cost you 30RM/person. Dim sum dinner like Din Tai Fung is around 40RM/person. You also have of course more expensive dining like mediterranean  (way over 100RM/person).
A cinema ticket costs 10RM.
Taxes are depending on your salary (30% for the highest bracket).