Expat social & recreational activities in Lae

I will be moving to Lae on a residential expat contract in October. My job will be predominantly in Lae, but will spend a couple of days every 2 - 3 weeks in POM. Feedback on types of social and recreational activities in Lae would be appreciated i.e. how to get involved in these activities, where to go, costs, etc.

Thanks
Dave

laeyachtclub.com/
This is the social hub of Lae for expats. If you have a boat or have friends with a boat then you can go fishing, spend the day at islands etc. Just dont divulge too much information about your life, Lae is a gossip town.

If you love golf then Lae Golf Club is the way to go. It hosts the annual Morobe Open which is part of North Queensland Professional Tour. There is also a Chinese restaurant located in the vicinity. The Golf Club overlooks 18 holes. Be careful as hold ups tend to happen where you can't be seen by other members of the golf club. You will be a target by rascals (robbers) because you are white with money.

Madang is a beautiful resort town a couple of hours drive away. You can either fly or catch a ride with friends who have security or a few four wheel drives that stay close together. You drive through little villages and thick forest so its very dangerous to break down and dont stop for anyone!

Lae CBD itself is small so it wont take you long to be familiar with the place. It is an industrial city so you will get to know a lot of workers such as yourself.

Let me know when you have received this so I can tell you more