Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hello all, my wife and I are considering moving to ireland to retire. We are both 55 and have pensions from work that pay us close to 70% of our working income. Then of course at 65 we qualify for our Canada Pesion and Old Age Security. My wife's father was Irish and we can qualify under a descendants application. That would give us citizenship and health benefits. We are getting to hate winters in Ontario Canada and  the sticky hot humid summers. We've been to the UK but never to Ireland. It looks lovely but of course we want to visit prior to applying. Can anyone suggest an area that is reasonable in price to live, with access to transit,  safe, access to good health care and that has nice scenery and sunny warmer days (we understand it can rain a lot in many parts of the country). Transit links to major cities would be great for shopping trips and cultural attractions.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Likely we would rent before buying. We would love to live in a modernized cottage type home.

Hi Ancasterguy,

Welcome on board :)

Please note that we have created a new topic as from your post on the Ireland Forum :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Hi
I moved to East Cork from Dublin 15 years ago and the quality of life is magic and quite mild winters and nowhere like your place.
cost to live and property great also, so look up the area
Dave
[email protected]

If you're looking for "sunny", the South-East is supposed to get the highest temperatures :-) Not scorching or anything, mind you... So County Wexford is kind of known as a holiday spot in Ireland for that reason, and it's quite close to Dublin for day trips.

Hi,
I am Austrian and have lived in London for nearly 30 years and 10 years ago we decided to move to Ireland to retire here. We had a good look around and settled on the Donegal/Leitrim/Sligo Border were the prices are more reasonable, the scenery here in the North West is spectacular, the train link from Sligo to Dublin is fine and Knock Airport about 1 hour away. We also have bus-link to Belfast, Derry, Dublin, Sligo and Galway. Travel on public transport is free once you reach retirement age.  It is now time to return to Austria and our house is up for sale.  Have a look at : European-property.com and in the space for location enter : Kinlough. There is lots of information about the area there and also photos of the house.